What should be our plan going forward with Hogs?

What to do with Nils Hoggy Boi Lander (HBL)

• Looking to trade for picks/prospects/d-men

• Extend his contract at earliest possible before his value increases further

• Let the kid show his worth before deciding

• I’m just here for the results

• Your post is bad and you should feel bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hey guys it’s your boi Bacon here.
Felt like starting a thread for no particular reason so here we go.

Hoglander has been improving tremendously and reaching new heights right in front of our eyes.
I’m sure the league has noticed that as well.

With a cap hit of 1.1 mil / year until 2026, and scoring at a near 40 point pace despite being given minimal ice time.
Hoglander is arguably our most cost effective player on the roster and obviously holds great value.

it’s time for us to face the real question
what do we do with Hogs? Especially considering we have an abundance of wingers.

What are your thoughts on our future with Hogs?
1701868548048.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's on 26-goal pace, despite getting limited reps on the third and fourth line on a lot of nights. And he's scoring without a lick of PP time.

He's relentless on the forecheck, and obviously a major upgrade on a scoring line with Boeser and Miller. Or he can slot into the wing with Pettersson and Mikheyev, when Kuzmenko is in one his funks.

Hardly surprising then that a bunch of teams have been enquiring about him. They see the same game-tape as everyone else. But I like him in his current role. You can stick him on any line, and he's singlehandedly capable of re-igniting it.

He'll be due a big raise soon--but for now, his $1.1m salary is one of the NHL's great bargains.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I’ve always like Hog, and I wouldn’t want to trade him at this point unless he’s part of a package for a long term defensive upgrade. He’s great value and his motor is refreshing on a team that can too often fall into lulls of intensity. Like kcunac said though, he can’t be re-signed until the off-season at earliest so probably best to reassess then. I wouldn’t mind trying to get him on a longer term deal at a lower cap if possible, like Nashville did with the Jarnkrok deal, but it’d be a higher cap at this point.

Reactions: LordBacon

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
His game has developed a lot this year. I'll admit I wasn't certain he would turn in to a regular NHL'er but he definitely proved that wrong.

I just want him to keep his play consistent and see how much further he can go. It would be weird to try and lock him in long-term at the earliest possible time I don't think he's that valuable but he's definitely a player we want to keep moving forward.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
His game has developed a lot this year. I'll admit I wasn't certain he would turn in to a regular NHL'er but he definitely proved that wrong.

I just want him to keep his play consistent and see how much further he can go. It would be weird to try and lock him in long-term at the earliest possible time I don't think he's that valuable but he's definitely a player we want to keep moving forward.

This is true, the weird-long term look, but I think the Canucks are going to have to gamble on Hog and Lafferty as cheap top six wingers, a la Burrows when he was running on that sweet 2 mil aav / 4 year contract. The Canucks, as has been pointed out, are now going to have to try to win while paying Pete, Hughes, Hronek, Miller - and now maybe Boeser, too - top dollar without any significant ELC talent on the way, save perhaps Willander - but one ELC is not enough to balance out the cumulative cap hit of 35-43 mil from those five players.

If Allvin could lock him up to 3m x 4 or 5, I would praise the move.

As we have seen, ELC contracts counterbalancing paying your stars market value is the way to extract the most cap efficiency from your lineup. Canucks don't have those ELC's coming en masse, though maybe Lekk and Willander are a good start. Not sold on anyone else being a difference maker.

Edit: I realize now that this post more belongs in the Sam Lafferty thread with nearly the same wording, so I'm off to there now with some fresh copy pasta and then some ;)

Reactions: LordBacon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad