What SHL team should I follow?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So I am trying to learn Swedish on Duolingo, and think it may help to listen to Swedish. Watching SHL games seems like a good place, so I guess I need a team. By the way, my NHL team is the Senators.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
You should support Västerås in the second division, HockeyAllsvenskan :sarcasm:

It depends what kind of supporter you are, do you want your team to be a league contender, an underdog or do you just go after their brand?

As you already support a capital team, why not Djurgården? Classic club, most titles, best hockey fans in Sweden, good attendance etc. Con: They recently got promoted back to the SHL, so they don't have the strongest team, although they are a playoff team.

Malmö Redhawks has the best logo in my opinion, plays in the best arena, pretty good jerseys. Con: Newcomers this season, they don't have the best team and I'm doubtful that they will reach the playoffs.

Växjö is just awful, throw them in the trash bin

Örebro, don't even consider them

Rögle is pure garbage

Karlskrona is an option if you want to feel bad for a team that barely wins and will most likely get relegated in spring

Skellefteå has a good team, they're a fun team to watch on the ice. Con: Can't really come up with one, unless you're not a fan of their brand

You should definitely support Luleå if you like Minecraft :sarcasm:

MODO is one of the most famous clubs outside Sweden as they've produced some of the best players (Forsberg, Sedins, Näslund, Hedman etc.). Their jerseys are pretty good but their team is really bad this season.

Linköping have a pretty good team every year, but they always manage to choke in the playoffs. I've never been a fan of their brand but that's just my opinion

HV71 has been a good team, but they have some problems in the club. They barely had a coach before they hit the ice this summer!

You didn't like Frölunda, so I guess they're off

Färjestad, meh..

Brynäs is a classic club as well. They've never been relegated from the SHL/Elitserien and became Swedish champions not so long ago. They got a pretty good team this year and clearly have the best jerseys in the league (no ads on the jerseys). Their logo is decent though..

Lif

Nov 3, 2013
I think I would go with Växjö. I like how they play.
If not Växjö then skellefteå.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
If you want to learn swedish you should never listen to swedish hockey announcers. They often use the simplest (dumbest) form of swedish mixed with halfenglish or "swenglish" words to sound dramatic. And they also talk to fast for it to be an effective way of learning.

Your better of watching some of the swedish Disneymovies with english subtitles available online or some other movies with subtitles. In my experience the easiest way to learn english was to watch english movies with swedish subtitles so the opposite should also work well.

Ofcourse you should take a minicourse (or some other way) first to learn how the grammar works. Once you learn the difference between swedish and english grammar it's relatively easy since so many words are similar.

Last edited:

Jeppe950

May 21, 2013
I wouldn't take most swedish peoples word for it since they think history matters more than the hockey played for them. If I wasn't from sweden I think I would have instinctively gone with something liek Skellefteå cause yellow and black is a sick combo of colors in my own opinion. Brynäs also looks good in that regard for me. I support Växjö since I come from the town so it's pretty natural for me tho.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Skellefteå, Brynäs or Modo would be my three suggestions.

Skellefteå & Brynäs year on year generally put out teams that are really enjoyable to watch and score goals... plus they generally have a glut of NHL prospects that are fun to follow.

Modo... if you like history, reminiscing about great player & pain they are the team for you. :laugh: They have not really been like they used to since all the great players retired at once in the late 2000's! Still have talent pipeline, and threaten every few years to be good, but never seem to pull it together... and every player that leavesin the last few year seems to be instantly twice as good for their new team! My favourite team in Sweden based on liking them since childhood. (Svartvadet, Salomonsson & Wernblom made decision for me... and for some reason I loved Wennerberg! Plus reading about Forsberg & Naslund so much in early 2000's, and Sedins, cemented decisions)

All three have pretty nice jerseys, good fans, history etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad