What Separates Rodgers from Mahomes?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I don’t really hold him much responsible for most of those losses really other than really the last one to the 49ers, which only turned on a blocked punt, and the run game was a culprit.

Right. That's what I mean, with Rodgers if we look at the one Super Bowl win you wonder why he never even got to another one (at least not yet). But I saw moments with Drew Brees where I thought he was at fault for the Saints' losses more than Rodgers. Don't get me wrong, Brees did have some bad luck as well such as the non-call pass interference vs. the Rams and the Minny Miracle pass, not to mention the back and forth game vs. the Niners in 2011 and the Seahawks game where Lynch made that legendary run. But to me he just didn't bring it in the postseason for the most part. I would liken him to someone like Karl Malone, who I always thought was a bit of a deer in the headlights come NBA clutch time in the playoffs. And yet Brees still won a Super Bowl, so there's that. I don't know the equivalent with Rodgers in other sports when it comes to playoff time.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right. That's what I mean, with Rodgers if we look at the one Super Bowl win you wonder why he never even got to another one (at least not yet). But I saw moments with Drew Brees where I thought he was at fault for the Saints' losses more than Rodgers. Don't get me wrong, Brees did have some bad luck as well such as the non-call pass interference vs. the Rams and the Minny Miracle pass, not to mention the back and forth game vs. the Niners in 2011 and the Seahawks game where Lynch made that legendary run. But to me he just didn't bring it in the postseason for the most part. I would liken him to someone like Karl Malone, who I always thought was a bit of a deer in the headlights come NBA clutch time in the playoffs. And yet Brees still won a Super Bowl, so there's that. I don't know the equivalent with Rodgers in other sports when it comes to playoff time.
Brees had bad playoff games later on. The Saints got robbed, but the refs didn’t throw an interception in overtime. He wasn’t good against Tampa Bay or in Minnesota either.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Brees had bad playoff games later on. The Saints got robbed, but the refs didn’t throw an interception in overtime. He wasn’t good against Tampa Bay or in Minnesota either.

He could have done better for sure. In 2009 he beats Warner, Favre and Manning onto the Super Bowl. 7 TDs and 0 INT in those three games. You wonder why he wasn't dialed in like that other times. Did have some bad lapses by his defense at times too, but I will agree he could have taken the bull by the horns a lot more.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Mahomes had a ho-hum kind-of regular season. If not for injuries to other starters throughout the season I'm not even sure if he would be considered having a top-10 type of QB season for 2023.

I just spent some time looking at his stats from his 4 Superbowl games. This latest one is really the only game in which I can conclude he had a really good game. That first Superbowl MVP is pretty weak.

As I perused the NFL's top 100 players of all-time and of the 10 QBs in there, Mahomes would definitely appear towards the bottom of that list. Baugh, Brady, Favre, Manning, Graham, Marino, Unitas, Montana would rank as good or better than Mahomes. I would put Rodgers above Mahomes as well. That's 8 guys already. As for Staubach and the incredibly hard conditions he played under in the 70s...well, I might be convinced Mahomes short career is better than him...maybe. Elway is tough. He spent so much of his early career with so little support that his numbers skew lower than they should. Mahomes has had the advantage of having a fantastic team around him from the very beginning and arguably the greatest coach of all-time - a man largely responsible for the fantastic team Mahomes has found himself to be surrounded.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Mahomes has had the advantage of having a fantastic team around him from the very beginning and arguably the greatest coach of all-time - a man largely responsible for the fantastic team Mahomes has found himself to be surrounded.
This. Mahomes is the best football player on the planet right now, by a freaking mile but this Kansas City Chiefs setup as a whole is insane. Best football player in the league, best play caller in the league and best d-coordinator in the league. Add a first-ballot hall of famer and all-time great in Kelce and you have this dynasty.

The only hope for the rest of the league right now is that Kelce massively drops off and Andy retires soon. If not, I see them reaching the Conference final at the very least for the forseeable future.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Mahomes had a ho-hum kind-of regular season. If not for injuries to other starters throughout the season I'm not even sure if he would be considered having a top-10 type of QB season for 2023.

I just spent some time looking at his stats from his 4 Superbowl games. This latest one is really the only game in which I can conclude he had a really good game. That first Superbowl MVP is pretty weak.

As I perused the NFL's top 100 players of all-time and of the 10 QBs in there, Mahomes would definitely appear towards the bottom of that list. Baugh, Brady, Favre, Manning, Graham, Marino, Unitas, Montana would rank as good or better than Mahomes. I would put Rodgers above Mahomes as well. That's 8 guys already. As for Staubach and the incredibly hard conditions he played under in the 70s...well, I might be convinced Mahomes short career is better than him...maybe. Elway is tough. He spent so much of his early career with so little support that his numbers skew lower than they should. Mahomes has had the advantage of having a fantastic team around him from the very beginning and arguably the greatest coach of all-time - a man largely responsible for the fantastic team Mahomes has found himself to be surrounded.

This. Mahomes is the best football player on the planet right now, by a freaking mile but this Kansas City Chiefs setup as a whole is insane. Best football player in the league, best play caller in the league and best d-coordinator in the league. Add a first-ballot hall of famer and all-time great in Kelce and you have this dynasty.

The only hope for the rest of the league right now is that Kelce massively drops off and Andy retires soon. If not, I see them reaching the Conference final at the very least for the forseeable future.
We just spent a whole season lamenting about how no one could consistently catch the ball with Kelce going MIA later in the season amidst speculation that Taylor was the new Yoko Ono.

Oh, and they traded away Tyreek Hill and tried to replace him with Marquez Valdes-Scantling and won both Super Bowls after doing it. None of this makes any sense.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
We just spent a whole season lamenting about how no one could consistently catch the ball with Kelce going MIA later in the season amidst speculation that Taylor was the new Yoko Ono.

Oh, and they traded away Tyreek Hill and tried to replace him with Marquez Valdes-Scantling and won both Super Bowls after doing it. None of this makes any sense.
Kelce sucked balls in the regular season (by his standards) but he returned to form in the playoffs. They don't win this year if regular season Kelce was what they had in the playoffs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kelce sucked balls in the regular season (by his standards) but he returned to form in the playoffs. They don't win this year if regular season Kelce was what they had in the playoffs.
That’s what’s supposed to happen though. The best players come through at winning time. You don’t win Super Bowls in November.

Obviously Mahomes gets great coaching, but he’s the one that’s put Andy Reid on the path to being the best of all-time.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Trading away Tyreek Hill was an absolutely brilliant move by KC. Still can’t believe the Dolphins fell for it because that was a total robbery by the Chiefs.

You’re never going to win when a WR is making $30M. It’s such an absurd contract.

Getting a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th and 6th was an enormous boost for KC having that additional young talent on cheap rookie deals.

That’s why the Bears need to dump the #1 pick in someone this year.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Trading away Tyreek Hill was an absolutely brilliant move by KC. Still can’t believe the Dolphins fell for it because that was a total robbery by the Chiefs.

You’re never going to win when a WR is making $30M. It’s such an absurd contract.

Getting a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th and 6th was an enormous boost for KC having that additional young talent on cheap rookie deals.

That’s why the Bears need to dump the #1 pick in someone this year.

Yeah, not sure how you could look at what the Chiefs defense did this year and think “that Tyreek trade didn’t make any sense”.

Now…Skyy Moore being a nothing burger and relying on “Yung Joka” to fill out your receiving room can certainly be criticized. Then again, crazy as it sounds now…both those dudes caught TD passes in SB57.

There’s no chance the Chiefs don’t make a somewhat major move in the receiving room for next year, that’s for damn sure.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Which is ridiculous and stupid. What he decides to do with his body isn't anyones business. & if you don't like his public comments, too bad. Hes just voicing his opinions.
While true, it wasn’t so much his opinions on it, at the time, as it was being intentionally ambiguous when asked about it prior to the season.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad