News Article: What qualities will make teams "good" at 3x3 OT?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I said this before in the Worcester thread, and it is probably the most shocking thing I ever posted...

...Roy Sommer has this 3v3 figured out.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can't even really explain how he does it (and I'm not sure he can either, because when he tried I was more confused than when I just watched the WorSharks do it), but don't be shocked to see teams mixing their defensemen and forwards along the bench so that by changing players positionally the team will gain the entire length of the bench, and that you'll have forwards changing for defensemen and vice-versa.

That kind of just sounds like Sommer doing Sommer stuff and he managed to stumble onto gold.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
That kind of just sounds like Sommer doing Sommer stuff and he managed to stumble onto gold.

Five times the WorSharks had a game decided in 3v3 OT last season, and they were 4-1. One of the wins was on a penalty shot so that doesn't really count, so really they were 3-1. They generally carried the play every time they made it to 3v3 too...makes no sense if you think about it.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
I don't think it's a need, but having a goalie that plays the puck well would be nice

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
It favors skill players with size and speed for sure. Goalies that are outstanding in 1 on 1s also! I think their could be some strategy with pick setting, etc to open up time and space for skill players to be on 1on 1 with goalies.

I goalie that handles the puck would also be an asset / 4th skater some what also.

It really is wildly fun to watch. :handclap: Could be the best "change" to happen in the NHL in along time.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
I just wish Meier were a few years more developed, so we could stick him on Thornton's wing while Thornton is still a highly effective 1st line centre. Their styles just seem like they'd mesh immaculately.

He'd need to be a few years more developed AND Thornton would need to be a few years younger for that to happen. He's on the decline.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He'd need to be a few years more developed AND Thornton would need to be a few years younger for that to happen. He's on the decline.

But Thornton is still a highly effective 1st line centre. If Meier were developed say to Hertl's level now, they'd be a really, really good duo.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think it's a need, but having a goalie that plays the puck well would be nice

He has to stop the shot before, though. Probably the keys will be goalies that excel on shootouts, and guys that not just have speed but insight on when to press.

It may come down to the team that makes the first mistake will be the team that loses. If that turns out to be the case, teams are going to play more towards the conservative side, waiting for a mistake. NHL HQ probably won't like this because it's likely this is their version of NFL stimulating passing and offense.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Five times the WorSharks had a game decided in 3v3 OT last season, and they were 4-1. One of the wins was on a penalty shot so that doesn't really count, so really they were 3-1. They generally carried the play every time they made it to 3v3 too...makes no sense if you think about it.

So hes an idiot savant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad