News Article: What qualities will make teams "good" at 3x3 OT?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Having a Brent burns is the key

Yah, I agree, Brent Burns + Joe Thornton should in Theory destroy 3 vs 3. It's basically guaranteeing Thornton as much space as he wants to work with.

I would prefer putting someone with them that is a good skater, has a quick shot, and is creative with the puck. Hertl is the likely candidate, but even someone like Karlsson, Goldobin, or Wingels should work. Or Meier if he make the team.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
As much as Thornton and Burns will be great in terms of puck possession and offense, they scare me a little bit on the other side of the puck. It'll be interesting to see how it develops, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Marleau featured prominently as he can effectively play both sides of the puck in 3x3 situations.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yah, I agree, Brent Burns + Joe Thornton should in Theory destroy 3 vs 3. It's basically guaranteeing Thornton as much space as he wants to work with.

I would prefer putting someone with them that is a good skater, has a quick shot, and is creative with the puck. Hertl is the likely candidate, but even someone like Karlsson, Goldobin, or Wingels should work. Or Meier if he make the team.

I'd put Braun with Burns and Thornton. Defensive presence...right-hand shot...good skater...gives Burns freedom to roam three-on-three.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I personally think vlassic will be the surprisingly second best, or possibly best in general. I was thinking about it the other day, with the propensity for odd man rushes, name me one other player in the whole league you'd rather have defending it? He has the speed to help offensively on a rush as well, he's not a bad passer at all, and with tons of time and space I think he has some untapped offense in him, which has shown in brief glimpses in the past, but he's never been put in a situation to really grow it.

Now there is no doubt burns will score more 3v3 points, but I bet vlassic comes out with a better gf/ga ratio.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I'd put Braun with Burns and Thornton. Defensive presence...right-hand shot...good skater...gives Burns freedom to roam three-on-three.

I was thinking about this the other day but I dont even know that I would put a dman out there besides Burns.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Puck possession, hustle, and skating ability. Guys with an active and dynamic cycle game but who are quick to react if they lose the puck will be great.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Any line with Burns.

Thornton - Burns - Vlasic

Couture - Marleau - Burns
(mostly because of speed. Couture's probably the 2nd fastest of the skilled forwards, and he has the best hands).

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I personally think vlassic will be the surprisingly second best, or possibly best in general. I was thinking about it the other day, with the propensity for odd man rushes, name me one other player in the whole league you'd rather have defending it? He has the speed to help offensively on a rush as well, he's not a bad passer at all, and with tons of time and space I think he has some untapped offense in him, which has shown in brief glimpses in the past, but he's never been put in a situation to really grow it.

Now there is no doubt burns will score more 3v3 points, but I bet vlassic comes out with a better gf/ga ratio.

Time will tell, but you are likely right. Vlasic is under-rated offensively on the rush, is a good passer, is a good enough skater to recover if the puck is turned over, and is among the best in the league at defending odd mans.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Wouldn't that be an insane group if Meier sticks. A huge line with guys that can all shoot (even Thornton, he just doesn't want to), they'd be impossible to contain. Meier has a pretty wicked shot already. Then again, I think Pavelski or Couture would be better fits right now.

Lots of great 3 on 3 combinations though. The Ducks ought to be scary too.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wouldn't that be an insane group if Meier sticks. A huge line with guys that can all shoot (even Thornton, he just doesn't want to), they'd be impossible to contain. Meier has a pretty wicked shot already. Then again, I think Pavelski or Couture would be better fits right now.

Lots of great 3 on 3 combinations though. The Ducks ought to be scary too.

Kinda off topic with regards to 3v3, but I think in 2016-2017 Meier should get the Hertl treatment with Thornton and Pavelski. He's a much better fit for those two than Hertl ever was anyway; better skater and more of a shoot-first player who doesn't need to puck on his stick, plus he has a good history of complimenting stars perfectly (Ehlers, McDavid/Konecny, Fiala).

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Having a Brent burns is the key

Any line with Burns.

Thornton - Burns - Vlasic

Couture - Marleau - Burns
(mostly because of speed. Couture's probably the 2nd fastest of the skilled forwards, and he has the best hands).

What's with all the Burns love of late? You can't seriously be judging him on pre-season play can you?

He was absolutely awful defensively last season. Definitely in the lower half of the league in that regard. He is gonna get burned (or Burnsed, if you will) constantly on 3 on 3's. He has a very hard time reading play, staying in position and keeping with his man. Perhaps it will be easier to do with less guys on the ice though.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What's with all the Burns love of late? You can't seriously be judging him on pre-season play can you?

He was absolutely awful defensively last season. Definitely in the lower half of the league in that regard. He is gonna get burned (or Burnsed, if you will) constantly on 3 on 3's. He has a very hard time reading play, staying in position and keeping with his man. Perhaps it will be easier to do with less guys on the ice though.

None of us is judging him on pre-season play. We're judging him from the type of player he is, which is an excellent skater, a great puck-possession skater, and a dynamic offensive force. Those are the traits that will score goals in 3v3 OT. And frankly, I have no concerns about his defensive ability when 3v3 defense is basically just following your man around on the open ice.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think the key will be teams that can score quickly off the rush, while forcing teams to cycle in their offensive zone.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA

I agree that Thornton will have a lot of space, but the question for me is, what is Thornton going to do with that space?

If he gets an opportunity to come skate out of his zone with a 1-0 or 2-1 rush, is he going to press the advantage or is he going to slow it down and allow the other opposing defenders time to catch up and get back in the play?

If the defender is guarding his passing lane and gives JT an open lane to the net, will he actually attack that lane and shoot (at least creating a rebound opportunity) or will he try to force the pass into coverage or perhaps even intentionally peel off into the corner to set up the cycle?

When he is off the puck will he be using that free space to drive towards the net looking for opportunities at tips/one-timers or crashing for rebounds, or will he coast off into the corner or atop the faceoff circles where he'll be open to receive passes but where he'll also be no threat to score?

How JT answers those questions with his play will be crucial to the success or failure of the Sharks in OT.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Kinda off topic with regards to 3v3, but I think in 2016-2017 Meier should get the Hertl treatment with Thornton and Pavelski. He's a much better fit for those two than Hertl ever was anyway; better skater and more of a shoot-first player who doesn't need to puck on his stick, plus he has a good history of complimenting stars perfectly (Ehlers, McDavid/Konecny, Fiala).
Agreed. He's a much better complementary player for them. I like Hertl when he's the main guy on the line. I could see him doing well with Couture in a few years as well.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
What do you think the successful teams will "do"/have in 3x3 OT?

Offensively: Speed on the rush, shooting accuracy, aggressive attacking, fluid movment off the puck

Defensively: Speed and hustle on the backcheck, good positioning, awareness/preparedness for a counter-attack, a quick reflexive goaltender (as opposed to a slower positional shot-blocking type of goaltender)

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Agreed. He's a much better complementary player for them. I like Hertl when he's the main guy on the line. I could see him doing well with Couture in a few years as well.

Totally agreed. Couture and Hertl could be a great duo together, I think, if you pair them with a speedy goalscorer of some kind (even just a player like Michael Grabner for example). Meier on the other hand would be an awesome compliment to Thornton, or even Tierney somewhere down the line if he establishes himself as a true top-6 centerman.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I said this before in the Worcester thread, and it is probably the most shocking thing I ever posted...

...Roy Sommer has this 3v3 figured out.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can't even really explain how he does it (and I'm not sure he can either, because when he tried I was more confused than when I just watched the WorSharks do it), but don't be shocked to see teams mixing their defensemen and forwards along the bench so that by changing players positionally the team will gain the entire length of the bench, and that you'll have forwards changing for defensemen and vice-versa.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I said this before in the Worcester thread, and it is probably the most shocking thing I ever posted...

...Roy Sommer has this 3v3 figured out.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can't even really explain how he does it (and I'm not sure he can either, because when he tried I was more confused than when I just watched the WorSharks do it), but don't be shocked to see teams mixing their defensemen and forwards along the bench so that by changing players positionally the team will gain the entire length of the bench, and that you'll have forwards changing for defensemen and vice-versa.

That's what the Sharks did last night.

I think the Sharks Might be middle of the pack (or lower) at 3v3 as I think speed, with & without the puck, is going to be a big factor & the Sharks don't have many speedy players with great pick skills.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
That's what the Sharks did last night.

I think the Sharks Might be middle of the pack (or lower) at 3v3 as I think speed, with & without the puck, is going to be a big factor & the Sharks don't have many speedy players with great pick skills.

How many teams have a plethora of speedy players with great puck skills?

I mean, we have a ton of speedy players, and we have a lot of great posession players who can skate, but if you mean do we have a lot of shifty guys who can skate, like Kane or Datsyuk, then no, we don't, but who does?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Totally agreed. Couture and Hertl could be a great duo together, I think, if you pair them with a speedy goalscorer of some kind (even just a player like Michael Grabner for example). Meier on the other hand would be an awesome compliment to Thornton, or even Tierney somewhere down the line if he establishes himself as a true top-6 centerman.

I just wish Meier were a few years more developed, so we could stick him on Thornton's wing while Thornton is still a highly effective 1st line centre. Their styles just seem like they'd mesh immaculately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad