What Qualifies as a Successful Season for the 2014-15 Blues?

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Anyone who votes for win the cup is acting as Captain Obvious. In reality the team needs to at least advance to the WCF to not face another offseason of wanting to make big changes. That would be a fine season.

But also, if the Blues can MAKE it to the cup by getting past the likes of Chicago and LA, I have zero concerns about them beating whoever the East throws at us.

With this type of thinking simply getting out of bed will eventually be viewed as success.

Yeah yeah! I get the hyperbole!

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
This.

Year after year with this franchise it's always a excuse from the GM and Coach on down to the players, and it's beyond getting old. Can this current core group win a cup? Of course they can. Will they? I'll remain skeptical until they accomplish this.

The Cup isn't everything. I think too many people are focused too much on the cup that they lose focus of other successes this team has. Sure, the cup is the goal, as it is being the best, but it's a one in thirty chance and not the easiest thing to do..To me, getting to the final four is a positive but also good and successful season.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
The Cup isn't everything. I think too many people are focused too much on the cup that they lose focus of other successes this team has. Sure, the cup is the goal, as it is being the best, but it's a one in thirty chance and not the easiest thing to do..To me, getting to the final four is a positive but also good and successful season.

For sure. Success for a single-track fan, like me, is quite different from success as measured by the Taylor family or Stillman.

EDIT: I am offering my personal view on what constitutes success for, not just the Blues, but for all of my favorite sports teams. On the other hand, success for the LA Kings would mean that the natural gas field, upon which the Staples Center lies, explodes and they all die. But that's just me.

Last edited:

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011

Anyone who votes for win the cup is acting as Captain Obvious. In reality the team needs to at least advance to the WCF to not face another offseason of wanting to make big changes. That would be a fine season.

But also, if the Blues can MAKE it to the cup by getting past the likes of Chicago and LA, I have zero concerns about them beating whoever the East throws at us.

I'm curious if there is correlation between age and what folks are voting for.

Anyway, I love the core group of this team. And I really want to see them, the team, city, organization, and us fans go insane enjoying the cup. It might come across as extreme, and I'm not the extreme sort, but everything short of that ends with disappointment (this is not the 08/09 Blues). I don't want to look back on this team and this core and think of what might have been. (Oh the 99-00 Pronger team). A big fat 0 for championships still. I take positives and enjoyment away every season. But that's different than the word "success" to me for where this team is now. My guess too is that management is defining success these days with a championship (which = $ too for the cynics). Why else go balls out to acquire Miller last season? I dont want another hawks fan to tell me "no cups" again. This team is good enough to do it. LGB. cheer leading. rah rah etc

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We're at the point where I view success as anything that says to us in the summer of 2015 "OK, this team is close. We've got a good group of players, and I think they can get the job done. They proved to me this year that we don't need to make any big changes, maybe just a slight tweak here and there like anyone else". I would say, if we got to at least the 3rd round, I would feel that way about the current roster.

Failure is something that says "Wow, this clearly isn't working with this core group of players. We need to make another shakeup and maybe ship a core guy out OR get a new coach." This to me would be something that should happen after another 1st or maybe 2nd round exit.

That's where I stand. Obviously the goal is to win a cup within the next few years, just like with most teams. But saying "cup or bust" is really pointless as it just defeats the purpose of the poll and discussion. We all know this franchise needs a cup, but it's not as if them losing in the finals should be considered a failure. Disappointing yes, but that would still clearly be a good season.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I'm curious if there is correlation between age and what folks are voting for.

Anyway, I love the core group of this team. And I really want to see them, the team, city, organization, and us fans go insane enjoying the cup. It might come across as extreme, and I'm not the extreme sort, but everything short of that ends with disappointment (this is not the 08/09 Blues). I don't want to look back on this team and this core and think of what might have been. (Oh the 99-00 Pronger team). A big fat 0 for championships still. I take positives and enjoyment away every season. But that's different than the word "success" to me for where this team is now. My guess too is that management is defining success these days with a championship (which = $ too for the cynics). Why else go balls out to acquire Miller last season? I dont want another hawks fan to tell me "no cups" again. This team is good enough to do it. LGB. cheer leading. rah rah etc

I don't think age makes that much of a difference among fans. I'm somewhat young, but I've cheered for the Blues many years. Success isn't defined as the cup and anything less than that is not a failure IMO.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
I don't think age makes that much of a difference among fans. I'm somewhat young, but I've cheered for the Blues many years. Success isn't defined as the cup and anything less than that is not a failure IMO.

Interesting.

What is your hypothesis?

No grand hypothesis or between the lines meaning behind it. Just a curiosity. I agree with Tarasenkshow, age is probably less relevant than temperament. However, I myself have shifted over time to be much more singularly focused. I used to be eternally optimistic that it would just happen. At some point. I am no longer sure of that. At least not sure it will happen when I can selfishly enjoy it. (and Im actually not "old", 30s so my elders my tell me to shut the H up).

I've been thrilled with this team getting better and better. But we've all seen windows close in the past, and I'm just worried about that happening again. and again. and again. damn, I sound negative.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
lol at people saying NO CUP = FAILURE

Pro hockey is entertainment and we'd all be just disgustingly entertained by the Blues losing a tough 7 game conference finals matchup or something like that.

On the other hand, FAILURE

You guys do know that you as fans don't actually win the cup, right?

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011

Pro hockey is entertainment and we'd all be just disgustingly entertained by the Blues losing a tough 7 game conference finals matchup or something like that.

I'm saying CUP = Success. I suppose it's difficult for me to argue against the reverse, that no cup must then equal failure, but its not like I don't appreciate the difficulty and that I will condemn the team as pathetic chumps if they dont win it all.

What's wrong with the team, and fans, stating that the season is ultimately judged by winning the cup or not? Other sports franchise carry this mentality - when its realistic. And right now, its realistic for this blues team, so that's my hope. That this seasons final horn won't end with that feeling of disappointment.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Now isn't the time for low standards.

Cup.

Having a competitive series in the WCF in our first year of a newly formed and better team after two years of 1st round exits and three years of losing four straight games isn't low standards.

I think "Cup" people are setting themselves up for more disappointment.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'm not quite sure how to vote in this thread. For me, the team doesn't need to win a Cup for me to view the season as a success. Just like every year, I will be brutally dissappointed if the Blues don't hoist the Cup and will be in a bad mood for days. However, once the dust settles, I think a season could be a success without a Cup. For me, there are 3 things that would make this season a success:

1: Cup Win

2: Advancing to the Conference Finals (or losing in the Cup Finals)

3: Losing in the 2nd round, but knocking out the Kings or Hawks in the 1st round.

Beating one of those teams would be huge. They are the only team to knock out this team in the last 3 years and seem to be in our heads a little. I think it is uncontested that those 2 teams are the class of the NHL. Knocking out either one would be a 'monkey of their backs' moment and should boost the confidence of our core. Even if we get knocked out in the next round, the club would go into the next season knowing that they can beat the best. It would suck to beat the best and then get knocked out, but it would certainly be a step forward from the last few years.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006

As a fan I can think whatever I want to think. This is a website for hockey fans, not NHL players.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Now isn't the time for low standards.

Cup.

Which is why I think SCF is a definite measure of success. That's not to say that WCF isn't a viable option, it's just that I want to see this team have a shot at a series where the Cup is on the line. I want to be in STL for that series. No question.

It's also a matter of needing to see the Blues beat the Hawks (2nd Round preferably) and Kings (WCF) after the last several seasons. Not making the SCF has a high probability of yet another loss to either one and that's enough to get my blood boiling.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
Full disclosure: I am a Hawks fan.

If the current Blues core were to win ONLY 1 Cup would you be satisfied?

I ask this question because as a Hawks fan, I've noticed that once the team does win it, you as a fan want them to win it again, and again, and again. If the Blues do win the Cup, I'm guessing that a few posters will be upset if they don't win multiple.

Personally, it would be disheartening if Toews and Kane should never win another Cup as Hawks. There have been discussions on this topic on the Hawks board and my guess is that other posters feel the same.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

I ask this question because as a Hawks fan, I've noticed that once the team does win it, you as a fan want them to win it again, and again, and again. If the Blues do win the Cup, I'm guessing that a few posters will be upset if they don't win multiple.

Personally, it would be disheartening if Toews and Kane should never win another Cup as Hawks. There have been discussions on this topic on the Hawks board and my guess is that other posters feel the same.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if they win just one Cup in my entire life. Of course I'd be greedy and want more, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I only got to see one. There's nothing I want to do more than to attend a Blues Stanley Cup parade.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I want my team to with the Cup every year. So if they won one, the next year I'd want them to win again. But its telling that you fail to understand the nature of being a Blues fan to even have to ask that question. The Blues have never won much of anything. I think most fans would trade winning one Cup in our lifetimes if it meant there could be only the once. I'd still be a fan of the team, but the lifetime of futility is kind of the badge of being a Blues fan.

I think this core is capable of a multiple Cup stretch where they win 2 of 3 or something like that, but its hard to think about that when they can't get out of the first round right now.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
For sure. Success for a single-track fan, like me, is quite different from success as measured by the Taylor family or Stillman.

EDIT: I am offering my personal view on what constitutes success for, not just the Blues, but for all of my favorite sports teams. On the other hand, success for the LA Kings would mean that the natural gas field, upon which the Staples Center lies, explodes and they all die. But that's just me.

Only if they are on the ice playing Chicago.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Personally, I'd be thrilled if they win just one Cup in my entire life. Of course I'd be greedy and want more, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I only got to see one. There's nothing I want to do more than to attend a Blues Stanley Cup parade.

There is one thing I want more. I want to be in the building when they win it. I don't care if it is at home or on the road. I desperately want to be there.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

This is kind of how I feel. It seems that we have answered the questions on the roster w/ Jaybo and Stas. We have filled our two biggest positions on need over the past two years. I think both Management and Ownership would be disappointment with anything less then the cup. I think the team needs to have these expectations - win, because at some point you have to do so. I am going to promise you that the Hawks and Kings expect the cup every year, and so I think our guys need to do so also.

As a fan, the truth is, I am just looking forward to the team getting on the ice. While they are my favorite sports team, if we lose in the playoffs - it truly is a small thing in my life. (God, Kids, Wife, Company, health, freedom to have an opinion.....)

We are blessed that we can be upset about it.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
this is kind of how i feel. It seems that we have answered the questions on the roster w/ jaybo and stas. We have filled our two biggest positions on need over the past two years. I think both management and ownership would be disappointment with anything less then the cup. I think the team needs to have these expectations - win, because at some point you have to do so. I am going to promise you that the hawks and kings expect the cup every year, and so i think our guys need to do so also.

as a fan, the truth is, i am just looking forward to the team getting on the ice. While they are my favorite sports team, if we lose in the playoffs - it truly is a small thing in my life. (god, kids, wife, company, health, freedom to have an opinion.....)

we are blessed that we can be upset about it.

^qft

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The only item this team has not acquired, the one item that will gain the team the real respect the franchise is due, is the Stanley Cup.

They've won Divisions.
They've won Conferences.
They've even won the President's Trophy.
Players have come and gone wearing the Note who now sit in the Hall of Fame, many of whom are legends.

There is absolutely nothing left for the Blues to win that's worth it or any other goal at this point that is as necessary for them to win as the Stanley Cup. It and it alone caps the existance of a team who has seen so much, gone through so many changes and upheavals and yet can come out and compete year in and year out. Their story deserves a happy ending and that will only come when they finally raise the Lord Stanley.

Anything else is just a repeat of every single year of their existence. Stillman looks poised to change that. Hopefully he will.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
The only item this team has not acquired, the one item that will gain the team the real respect the franchise is due, is the Stanley Cup.

They've won Divisions.
They've won Conferences.
They've even won the President's Trophy.
Players have come and gone wearing the Note who now sit in the Hall of Fame, many of whom are legends.

There is absolutely nothing left for the Blues to win that's worth it or any other goal at this point that is as necessary for them to win as the Stanley Cup. It and it alone caps the existance of a team who has seen so much, gone through so many changes and upheavals and yet can come out and compete year in and year out. Their story deserves a happy ending and that will only come when they finally raise the Lord Stanley.

Anything else is just a repeat of every single year of their existence. Stillman looks poised to change that. Hopefully he will.

Yes, but you are talking about the organization as a whole. None of the players have won presidents trophies, gone far in the playoffs etc as Blues. I just think that setting the bar too high this early is doing yourself and the players on the team an injustice. As it looks TODAY, if they make the second round and still have gas in the tank to do some damage, I'll be a happy fan. The playoffs is just so hard to predict, and too much is an unknown this early. Injuries, trades, etc. If we're injury free, if our new guys have worked out, our PP looks good and so on, THEN I'd be ready to say Cup or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad