What qualifies as a "hit"?

habslive

Apr 27, 2014
Watching the Rangers-Habs game last night, 129 total hits. Almost double what any other game played last night featured.

That said, when a d-man dumps a puck in at the red line and gets nudged as he turns away from the check- is that a hit? is a cross-check in front of the net a hit? is there a minimum subjective impact qualification? What about just pinning a guy on the boards?

Curious as to how it gets tabulated.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Bell Centre is notorious for padding those type of stats.

There were a lot of vicious cross checks and fights and other reasons to hit. I don't think the real numbers of hits would be too far from reported number of hits.

But yes, habs are one of the many teams that inflate hits.

lgs093

Dec 15, 2016
In my opinion, a hit is a play that separates the man from the puck. Conversely, solid body contact immediately following a puck carrier moving the puck would also constitute as a hit.

I compare the hits statistic to faceoffs, often a faceoff is judged by the direction the puck goes from the draw but in reality, a centreman could intentionally lose a faceoff clean and have his wingers beat the dman to the puck and retain possession which in my opinion would constitute as a won draw.

Like other posters have said, ultimately, comes down to the statistician tracking each category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad