What players seemingly have all the tools but never quite put it all together?

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Alexei Kovalev. Probably the most talented player to ever play, never had the drive to be the best.

A 1,000 point career is a disappointment for someone with his skillset.

No. Kovalev was a hell of a player and it's no disappointment, as talented as he was.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Brock Nelson.

At one point I thought he would develop into a 30 goal scorer, who played a strong 2 way game.
Instead he is an inconsistent 20+ goal scorer who is lazy defensively and disappears for several games at a time.

yes Nelson just does not compete at a high level to get to the next level unfortunately...

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
I think Pouliot is a really good example. There is nothing he cannot do on the ice. I mean, he can even fight. He just isn't the sum of his parts. He is an inferior player overall to many players who have inferior tools.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Cody Hodgson, super talented but just kinda fell from grace, same with Alex Burmistrov to a lesser extent. He would show strokes of brilliance then just do something completely stupid right after.
Ya, Cody had a really bad back injury and never really recovered.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
As far as recent Rangers go, John Moore and Michael Del Zotto check those boxes.

Moore was always referred to as a "all the tools but no toolbox" kind of guy, and he'd wow you with some great plays, but he'd also have some head-scratchers. He's stuck in the NHL though, so he's doing something right.

Not sure what Del Zotto's problem was. Maybe it was just being a young guy in New York. Nice to see he's carved out a career, though. Doing decently with Vancouver, and he has an A to boot.

I've had a lot of guys over the years who I thought would be stars (or at least part of the hall of very good), but they never put it together, either due to attitude, injuries, or just a game not translating well -- Peter Mueller (concussion), Filatov (Filly don't do rebounds), Torrey Mitchell (I think the broken leg affected his game), Prucha, Lehtonen, etc.

Anisimov was another guy who I thought never found that second gear.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Players drafted between 2010 and 2014.

Brett Connolly
Ryan Strome
Ryan Murphy
Sam Bennett (still too early)
Elias Lindholm
Michael Dal Colle
Kasperi Kapanen (still too early)