What % of 5v5 goals come from 'Scoring Chances'?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Scoring chances quoted because there is no official definition. But say you use Corsica's definition, what % of goals at Even Strength come from Shots that were graded as Scoring Chances?

League wide? What about at Team Level? Can teams with better shot quality and finish 'impact' this?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
From that article, are "scoring chances" the fenwicks from the "high danger" area, or from the "high danger" plus "medium danger", or are they something else?

If a scoring chance is a fenwick from the high danger area, then 34142/64646 goals, or 52.8% of goals are from scoring chances.

connor35

May 10, 2006
I think the OP asked a different (and frankly more interesting) question.

He asked What % of goals come from scoring chances.

Not what % of "scoring chances" result in goals.

They're opposite conditional probabilities.

For example Pr(You're male given you're an NHLer) = 100%

Pr(you're a NHLer given you're male) = 600 / 3.5 billion = 0.0000002

I think the OP was asking what fraction of goals come off scoring chances -- the converse being what fraction of all goals that are scored are actually the result of shots that wouldn't have qualified as 'scoring chances' -- which i guys would be a proxy for 'bad goals'.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think the OP asked a different (and frankly more interesting) question.

He asked What % of goals come from scoring chances.

Not what % of "scoring chances" result in goals.

They're opposite conditional probabilities.

For example Pr(You're male given you're an NHLer) = 100%

Pr(you're a NHLer given you're male) = 600 / 3.5 billion = 0.0000002

I think the OP was asking what fraction of goals come off scoring chances -- the converse being what fraction of all goals that are scored are actually the result of shots that wouldn't have qualified as 'scoring chances' -- which i guys would be a proxy for 'bad goals'.

What to exclude out?

- Good shot that bounces in from somebody's skate?
- Low-danger-zone shots?

I have some data about goal types, more from goaltender's view.

My mutual feeling is goals that are pure luck = non-scoring chances, are very rare. Because in many situations, lucky bounces are just smart shooting. On eye-test you can determine these things better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad