What non permanent glue to use on metal & pastic

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
I have an old drill, that has a plastic housing with stripped threads that hold the screw.
I bought loctite, but it says it is only for metal.
So I need a glue that I can use on a screw, that goes into plastic, and that I can back out if I need to.
Ideas ?
Thanks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If you don't mind me asking, why were you removing the housing in the first place?

If the threads of the plastic housing are stripped, I'm not sure some glue is what you're looking for. The hole is going to be slightly larger and the threads of the screw will probably have a hard time gripping it anyway. I'd try a slightly larger screw, maybe with a coarser (wider spaced) threads. think of the threads on a drywall screw. If you have a bunch of miscellaneous screws sitting around, I'd start eyeballing similar sized screws, aim for something very slightly bigger, and seeing if it will screw into place.

If you don't like that idea, or you're set on the glue thing, I'd consider coating the screw in a bit of caulk and screwing it in then. Let it harden, and hope it holds. With caulk having a bit of body to it I would think it might fill that hole a little better. Just don't go crazy with it because you don't want caulk (or any glue) running all over the inside of the drill.

Another possibility. Just ditch the housing. the worse that can happen is you reach for the drill, grab some exposed copper, and you dim the lights in the house for a bit.

There's also just plain ol' duct tape.

All of that said, I'd really consider just getting a new drill. If you're not doing a lot of work with it, you don't have to go super heavy duty or anything. I own this Black&Decker combo and haven't had any complaints. B&D are made by the same folks who make Dewalt.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Thanks. It's my backup drill, so it isn't that important.
Think I will fill the holes with hot glue. let it harden, re-drill the holes, and see if it holds.
If not, into the garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad