What NHL team players are best at representing their country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Of all the players on your that is representing their contry, whose team is standing out the best. My Devils have got Canada's Marty playing a brickwall with Scott Neidermeyer who never ever disappears in big games. For Team USA we got Scott Gomez playing the 3rd period of his life last night with Paul Martin and Brian Rafalski who are argueably USA best defensive pair, and lets not forget Jamie Lagenbrunner playing soldily on the fourth line. For the Czech Republic Patrick Elias, who I have to be honest have not seen play (Work :banghead: !), but did noticed that he had gotten a assist last night.

Can anybody beat that? :dunno:

OT - Anybody know where in the hell I can go to get better statistics than the crap that NHL.com and ESPN (shocking) put out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Burnaby_Joe*

Sakic was up to his old tricks tonight and Foote was a rock. The best is yet to come for Sakic.

The 2002 Olympic MVP :yo:

Hejduk scored 2 goals against the Swedes. Kono is banging bodies for the US. Vaananen is gonna drill someone on the US on Friday. ;)

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The Frugal Gourmet said:
For the Dallas Stars:

In 4 games, Modano, Guerin, Lehtinen, and Kapanen have combined for:

4 goals, 13 assists, 17 points. They are a combined +11 over the tournament.

Don't forget Numminen. Practicly, he's a Dallas Stars moreso than not.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Very good showing from all Tampa players (especially Modin), 26 points from 8 guys. I'm very happy with their performances, even without Kubina or Khabibulin playing.

* - Team knocked out
Dmitry Afanasenkov (RUS*)
2GP - 1G - 1A - 2PTS - 0PIM
got in two games as a last-minute addition, two goals in the prelims and quarters, good production from him

Martin Cibak (SVK*)
4GP - 1G - 0A - 1PTS - 0PIM
also a late addition, scored a goal :eek: and played well defensively

Sascha Goc (GER*)
3GP - 0G - 0A - 0PTS - 2PIM
only saw one or two Germany games, can't comment

Vincent Lecavalier (CAN)
4GP - 1G - 4A - 5PTS - 6PIM
very impressed with his play so far, hope he keeps up the physical play, I love it :)

Fredrik Modin (SWE*)
4GP - 4G - 3A - 7PTS - 2PIM
he was awesome, not much else to say about him except I'm happy to see him play well since he just got a 3 year contract :D

Vaclav Prospal (CZE)
3GP - 1G - 3A - 4PTS - 0PIM
doing a good job so far, such a great passer, can't wait to see him back in the Bolt

Brad Richards (CAN)
4GP - 1G - 2A - 2PTS - 0PIM
playing his usual game, you don't notice him too often but he still puts up points, sweet pass to Marty for a one-timer two games ago

Martin St. Louis (CAN)
4GP - 2G - 2A - 4PTS - 0PIM
Marty is Marty, gets pushed around a lot but you can't leave him alone for a second or he scores

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Iginla was getting his chances, creating room for himself and getting lots of shots but couldn't find the net for the first three games. Now he's got a couple, his line was dominant, its good to see. He's beaten a few guys in close with some nice moves and made some nice passes, and his shot is still good. I'm very impressed with him. It was also nice to see the 'A' on his jersey.

Regehr has been very impressive. He's holding his own against some of the craftiest players around, making risky passes but so far they haven't bit him in the ass yet. He's been jumping into the play which is really nice to see. Getting some good shots on the net. And most of all, he's using his body and playing smart and being rewarded with good minutes.

What can I say about Kipper? Way to go! Lydman, well, I didn't really see him out there so...

I didn't get to see Nilson play, but it was nice to see he got some points.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
. For the Czech Republic Patrick Elias, who I have to be honest have not seen play

He's been the Czechs most consistant player. He made some nice plays with Havlat. Jagr, Havlat, Sykora, etc have been inconsistant for the Czechs. Elias has, over the course of the whole tournament, been their best player. I have to say though, when Jagr is on his game he is scary.

Quantas

Feb 4, 2004
Ottawa
Sens haven't done too well in the tournament, just average overall.

Schubert's a prospect and I have no idea how he did for Germany.

Hossa's been invisible (no different from this past NHL season). Chara's been on and off...mostly off.

Redden's been injured. Volchenkov's been benched (not sure why). Smolinski's been okay for the US.

Alfie's done well for Sweden (according to some posters here who've seen the games in Europe. Havlat's the only other player who's done well and put up the points.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Roughneck said:
Iginla was getting his chances, creating room for himself and getting lots of shots but couldn't find the net for the first three games. Now he's got a couple, his line was dominant, its good to see. He's beaten a few guys in close with some nice moves and made some nice passes, and his shot is still good. I'm very impressed with him. It was also nice to see the 'A' on his jersey.

Regehr has been very impressive. He's holding his own against some of the craftiest players around, making risky passes but so far they haven't bit him in the ass yet. He's been jumping into the play which is really nice to see. Getting some good shots on the net. And most of all, he's using his body and playing smart and being rewarded with good minutes.

What can I say about Kipper? Way to go! Lydman, well, I didn't really see him out there so...

I didn't get to see Nilson play, but it was nice to see he got some points.
while the Flames players haven't put up alot of points (until iginla last night) I must admit that it's nice to see 5 guys advance to the final 4....4 of them play pretty big roles on their teams, Niemenen not so much.

Nilson also played OK for Sweden, a few points and a plus player...and Leopold was looking promising in the preseason before getting his bell rung

a nice followup to last spring by the Flames players I feel

IcE ColD

Feb 2, 2004
Vieux Port Inc.
Habs guys have been... OK. At least, Koivu and Kovalev (if...) have put up a couple of points. Théo won't play, Zednik didn't do anything worth telling and Markov hasve played only 2 games...

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
looooob said:
while the Flames players haven't put up alot of points (until iginla last night) I must admit that it's nice to see 5 guys advance to the final 4....4 of them play pretty big roles on their teams, Niemenen not so much.

I think that we will see Nieminen get a larger role for Finland, perhaps coming on against the Guerin-Modano-Tkatchuk -line, some kind of shutdown role. :handclap:
:bow:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps have had a good showing.

Kolzig and Stana were pretty solid in net on mediocre to weak teams. Stana had the unenviable task of playing against Team Canada three times in the World Cup, if you include one exhibition game, and managed not to embarrass himself, considering that he is a prospect.

Ovechkin had a very nice debut against Slovakia, then had a solid if unspectacular quarterfinal against USA. His team lost and he did not rack up any points in his second game, but he did come out +2. Not bad.

Also on Russia, Zubrus was a very solid contributor both on the score sheet and in terms of intangibles. His physical play was exemplary.

Jeff Halpern has been one of Ron Wilson's shutdown centers of choice in the tourney, and continues to do a fine job.

That's not a bad tally, for a Capitals NHL team that is rather atrocious right now.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
miss hockey said:
I think that we will see Nieminen get a larger role for Finland, perhaps coming on against the Guerin-Modano-Tkatchuk -line, some kind of shutdown role. :handclap:
:bow:
Nieminen - T.Ruutu - J.Ruutu
With both bash bros, sounds nice to me :D

Or perhaps Hentunen instead of Jarkko, to add some scoring.

Spaceace

Jul 30, 2002
2,000 miles from Savvis
Visit site
For the Blues:
U.S.A
Tkachuk-has been a monster so far: 5 G & 1 A
Weight-needs to play with more fire,although he is playing good
Weinrich-was strached for the last three games.

Czech Republic
Cajanek-hasn't put up any points yet,but he's playing well

Russia
Khavanov-some decent play

Sweden
Backman-didn't hear his name too much throught Sweden's games;has anyone else?

Last edited:

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Iginla - Impressive, finally rewarded last night.
Kiprusoff - Excellent. Can't really say anything other than him and Brodeur have been the best.
Regehr - Rock solid.
Nilson - Played really well IMO, showed as much heart as anyone on the Swedish team.
Lydman - Solid defensively, could chip in more offensively.
Nieminen - Nothing so far but as someone said, his role will be much bigger now that they are in NA.

Breck Av

Jan 11, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I concur that Tampa Bay and New Jersey have had the best showing so far.

Colorado has been a mixed bag but probably still has a top 5 contingent.

Joe Sakic (Canada)
3 goals - 2 assists - 5 points - +4
Sakic continues to shine on the international stage and is one of the leading candidates for tournament MVP. His line with Mario and Iggy has been fun to watch.

Adam Foote (Canada)
0 goals - 2 assists - 2 points - +5
Footer looks to have put his unusually poor playoff performance behind him, which is nice to see as an Avalanche fan.

Milan Hejduk (Czech Republic)
3 goals - 0 assists - 3 points - even +/-
Rebounded with 2 goals after being scratched in the Czech's second game. The very streaky Duke could help his country pull off an upset Saturday night if he stays hot.

Ossi Vaananen (Finland)
1 goal - 1 assist - 2 points - +3
Ossi has played well since being inserted into the Finnish blueline, even scoring a rare goal.

Peter Forsberg (Sweden)
1 goal - 2 assists - 3 points - -6
Ouch! It's obvious he hasn't recovered from off-season surgery. The line of Zetterberg, Forsberg, and Naslund has combined for a -18. Most of us would have said a stat like that would be impossible with the talent of those three players. It was just one of those tournaments, I guess :dunno: . Please come back to the NHL, Foppa.

Steve Konowalchuk (USA)
0 goals - 0 assists - 0 points - -1
Kono hasn't gotten on the scoresheet yet though from what I've seen he and his linemates have done a good job as Team USA's checking line.

J.M. Liles (USA)
0 goals - 0 assists - 0 points - -3
At the start of the '03/'04 season almost every hockey fan would have been shocked to know that someone named J.M. Liles would be playing defense for Team USA in the World Cup. Thanks to his very good regular season and a bunch of injuries, Liles ended up on the team and even played in the first two games. He looked overmatched at times by larger forwards but still made some nice passes and didn't seem totally out of place on the world stage - in fact, his d partner Chelios played worse, IMO.

Teemu Selanne (Finland)
1 goal - 2 assists - 3 points - +1
He shouldn't count for the Avalanche since he certainly won't be back in Colorado next season. I hope he plays like he did for the Avs on Friday night while taking on Team USA.

I wish Switzerland were in this tournament so David Aebischer could have a chance to get some more work and maybe make up for his dreadful and short-lived Salt Lake showing. I guess it could be a good thing the Swiss aren't here, since they would most likely give up a ton of scoring chances against teams like Canada, Finland, USA, Czech Republic, and Russia and Aebi would be in a lose/lose situation, kind of like the 2003 NHL Young Stars game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad