What NHL Records have been set in these playoffs?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Just something I was idly thinking about this morning and wanted to see what new records we have.

A few I know of off the top of my head:

Tampa Bay Lightning - Most time spent in OT in a single playoff [185 minutes and counting]
Jonas Korpisalo - Most saves in a single game [85] (official - I'm aware a game before the official stats had more)
Tampa Bay Lightning - Most shots in a single game [88]
Seth Jones - Most ice time in a single game [65+ minutes]

Any others?

Last edited:

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I remember two off the top of my head involving Dallas.

- Kiviranta is the first rookie to score a hat trick in a Game 7.

- Stars are the first team to have multiple rookies score a hat trick in a single playoffs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think we need to scrub the round robin from the record books / not include it . That was not really competetive hockey by any of the teams involved.

NHL makes no sense. Those round robin games were considered "playoff games" but overtime had regular season rules! What the hell? Boston Bruins were considered President's Trophy winners but went into round 1 as the 4th seed? So nonsensical.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
NHL makes no sense. Those round robin games were considered "playoff games" but overtime had regular season rules! What the hell? Boston Bruins were considered President's Trophy winners but went into round 1 as the 4th seed? So nonsensical.

The round robin had 2 games decided by shootouts . It just can't be counted as playoff games.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The round robin had 2 games decided by shootouts . It just can't be counted as playoff games.

So do you make it regular season? It'd have some individual player perks like another 100 season for McDavid, first for Mackinnon. Appealing to some fans. But it would also leave a bunch of teams having played less games altogether.

If you make it its own category, then its the only season ever with preseason, regular season, pre postseason, and postseason lol

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So do you make it regular season? It'd have some individual player perks like another 100 season for McDavid, first for Mackinnon. Appealing to some fans. But it would also leave a bunch of teams having played less games altogether.

If you make it its own category, then its the only season ever with preseason, regular season, pre postseason, and postseason lol

Felt very much like the warmup game that every team had before round robin and play-in started so the records should just not be kept like those and pre-season.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What i found here:

Quinn Hughes assisted on J.T. Millers’ goal and matched the longest point streak by a rookie defenseman in NHL history, set by Al MacInnis (6 GP in 1984 w/ CGY) and equaled by Zarley Zalapski (6 GP in 1989 w/ PIT).

Seth Jones logged the NHL’s highest single-game TOI total by a skater since 1997-98 (65:06).

@DallasStars are the first team in NHL history to feature multiple rookies with a hat trick in a playoff year (Joel Kiviranta in #Game7 of R2 & Denis Gurianov in Game 6 of R1).

Quinn Hughes (2-14—16) also set the NHL record for most points in a postseason by a rookie defenseman, a mark @Cmakar16 (4-11—15) set with a goal last night.

Thatcher Demko’s 48 saves are the most by a rookie goaltender in a playoff shutout since 1955-56, besting the previous mark set by Mike Ritcher (37 in Game 3 of 1991 DSF w/ NYR).

Cale Makar set just a couple NHL records with the @Avalanche Wednesday:
Most career GWGs in the postseason by a rookie defenseman (3)
Most points by a rookie defenseman in a single playoff year (15)
Most career playoff points by a rookie defenseman (21)

The @Avalanche scored four goals in 2:36 in Game 5, one second shy of the fastest four goals by one team in #StanleyCup Playoffs history.
That mark was set more than 76 years ago by the Canadiens in an 11-0 win in Game 5 of the 1944 Semifinals.

The @GoldenKnights required the fewest games to reach 25 postseason wins among all NHL franchises, besting the previous low of 43 shared by the Islanders and Oilers. 38 games

The @TBLightning became the third team in NHL history to earn each of their first 7+ wins in a postseason all by a one-goal margin, joining the Mighty Ducks in 2003 (9) and Rangers in 2015 (9).

The @TBLightning have played a combined 185:17 in overtime this postseason - the most by any team in a single playoff year in NHL history. The previous mark was set by the Devils during the 1994 Stanley Cup Playoffs (175:10).

Victor Hedman ties record for the most goals by a defenceman prior to the Stanley Cup Final.

@DallasStars’ Denis Gurianov has 5-3—8 in three series-clinching wins this postseason. His eight points in series-clinching wins are the highest such total in NHL history by a rookie within a playoff year.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The Blues set a record that will be tough to beat: 5 consecutive playoff losses. All 3 Round Robin games then the first 2 games against Vancouver.

I take it this means in one season as opposed to being spread over multiple. If so, then yes, a quirky record that won’t be beat.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Felt very much like the warmup game that every team had before round robin and play-in started so the records should just not be kept like those and pre-season.

The round robin and play in qualifiers count for both team and personal playoff stats so it's moot. Vasi or Dobby will hold the win record.

Last edited:

geofff

Aug 12, 2014
www.makeitsostudios.com

I think they should count it as regular season stats. The games counted toward playoff seeding, just like the regular season does. It's not like each team had the exact same amount of regular season games this year anyway, and still no team would be over 82 games. It just makes the most sense to me. It keeps the yearly stats more consistent with other years.

Also MacKinnon would still be short of 100, he only had 3 points in 3 games in the round-robin -- to bring his total to 96 in 72 games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Khudobin can get a maximum of 16 wins.
Vasilevskiy interestingly can break the record with 17 and still lose the Cup.
You are right, Bishop started 1 playoff win and Dallas only won 1 round robin game, so only if Tampa wins 2 more games with Vasilevskiy will the record fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad