Speculation: What needs to happen to consider this season a success?

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I could make this a poll, but I’m curious what needs to happen to consider the season a success.

I fully expect to see a lot of win the lottery responses, but beyond that.

And go!
Eklund's development has to be at the top of the list, I'd say. I don't really want to put numbers down for it to be called a success, as a lot of factors can play a part in that (linemates, PP time, etc.), but really just him establishing himself in the NHL this year, ideally not getting sent down, and demonstrating he has the potential to score at a top-6 winger level for many years to come.

Bordeleau showing he has the ability to be an NHL regular who can score at a 3C level and be cromulent without the puck would be nice, but I assume there will be bumps in that road. Seeing legitimate progress, though, is important at this stage.

And then there's the defense. There may not be much room for NHL-level development for many guys this year, unfortunately, so I think if two or more of Thrun, Knyzhov, Emberson, Gawanke, or any others not named Shakir can prove that they're at least ready to be regular 3rd pairing defenders in 2024 would be good.

As for Shakir, it's hard to say because the Barracuda will likely be bad, but I really would like to see him hold his own down there and put up a good amount of points and by the end of the season get some NHL experience and show that he's done with the "A" and has a legit future as a top-four, if not better, defenseman at the NHL level.

Unfortunately with the composition of the roster, combined with the suckitude of the Barracuda, it's going to be a bit frustrating on the development level at the professional level for Sharks fan. So I think expectations probably need to be somewhat tempered for now.

(We could obviously talk about the younger prospects and what success means for them this year but I figured I'd keep it to the Sharks and Cuda guys for now.)

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Eklund seizes a top six role (and is legitimately a top nine player NHL-wide, with clear room to grow).

At least one other good prospect graduates to the NHL permanently (Mukhamadullin, Gushchin, Bordeleau, etc).

At least one depth prospect graduates to the NHL permanently (Thrun, Okhotiuk, Emberson, Makiniemi, Chrona, Robins, Coe, Wiesblatt, etc).

I wouldn't really quibble about who goes into which basket. That's besides the point.

We add at least two top-100 draft picks and a couple of lottery tickets in the mid-rounds (trade for Barabanov, Duclair, Kunin, Hoffman, Granlund, Rutta, etc). Getting a Goodrow-esque return (late 1st for a player plus mid-round pick) would be even better.

Ideally, we go into the draft with three-four 1sts, two-three 2nds, and three-four mid-round picks. I place no consideration on the lottery results, and I suspect we finish in the bottom three at best, no matter what we do.

No one gets a significant extension (4+ years) unless Bordeleau or Thrun really catch fire.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think replacing the coach with a bonafide one would do it for me.
I have my questions about Quinn after watching his Rangers teams pretty closely, but honestly, unless he's doing work to damage or inhibit the development of young players (which could happen; we'll see), does it even really matter right now?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have my questions about Quinn after watching his Rangers teams pretty closely, but honestly, unless he's doing work to damage or inhibit the development of young players (which could happen; we'll see), does it even really matter right now?
Yea he seems... fine. I don't really see a reason to dump him during the rebuild unless he's clearly a problem but I haven't seen anything to indicate that

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Top 5 draft pick
Make that Top-3. :laugh:
Guaranteed Celebrini, Eiserman, or Levshunov would be nice.
Agree; it isn't like the team is underachieving. I'm fine with keeping Quinn during the rebuild.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
At minimum I need to be leaf that Eklund has a clear top-6 role for the next gen team based on how he plays this year and not our hopes and dreams... Not expecting him to enter his peak or anything, but I definitely want to start worrying about resigning him to a hometown discount down the road

And obviously not to get leapfrogged in the draft by some bullshit lottery shenanigans

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
In a very ideal world? Step forward for numerous players:

-Eklund solidifies a top 6 role.
-Bordeleau earns at least a 3C job by end of the year.
-Thrun and Mukh become NHL regulars by end of the year.
-Zadina finds his game and proves he’s a top 6 winger
-We manage to grab a few more draft picks, ideally in the 2nd round (or 1st though I don’t see that as a possibility unless it’s Couture)

Basically, we need this year to bring our 1st wave of rookies into the NHL so then they can continue to grow and help the likes of Bystedt, Havelid, etc. next season.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
More than anything, we need to know the quality of the team's scouting and development. Even if it costs the Sharks a higher pick, seeing the prospects make great strides, the reclamation projects working out, and the bargain bins paying off will be proof of managerial success.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
More than anything, we need to know the quality of the team's scouting and development. Even if it costs the Sharks a higher pick, seeing the prospects make great strides, the reclamation projects working out, and the bargain bins paying off will be proof of managerial success.
I don't know about that. First of all, it's not like management intentionally went after Granlund, Hoffman and Rutta. Those guys were forced on us to offset Karlsson's cap hit. On the flipside if Zadina or Thrun succeeds management doesn't deserve much credit for that either since those guys specifically chose the Sharks because our lack of talent provided them the best opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad