What little moment most impressed you about Gretzky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

One game in 83 or so, he's skating up the Montreal Forum center ice and Bob Gainey is skating next to him until Gainey suddenly starts to look around because he's not sure where the puck is. You should have seen the confused look on Gainey's face.

What 99 did was hide the puck under his blade and skate looking to his left as if his winger had the puck!

Never seen that.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
I used to watch him from the nosebleed section at Northlands and he was just stunning in terms of finding open ice and making counter plays. He was just silly good that way. Gretzky would wait for things to develop and then make a play that while obvious at the time wasn't there a second ago. I'll never forget it.

Carrying the puck out of his own zone, his wingers racing up the far side to keep up with him. Naturally the defense focuses on Gretz. He curls to the bench while simultaneously throwing a backhand pass across the ice and going off for a change. One pass later and it's in the net and the man wasn't even on the ice when the goal was scored.

He had an uncanny knack for drawing defenders to himself and waiting for the last moment to make the pass. And those passes never hit skates or sticks of defenders rushing at him.

The other truly memorable moment was the slapshot from the left boards on Mike Vernon about 5-10 feet inside the blueline. Vernon plays it well, he cuts down the angle, Gretz loads up the shot and puts it over Vernon's shoulder and under the crossbar. Vernon looked absolutely helpless.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
His complete lack of a panic threshold. He would just hold, and hold, and hold some more, and eventually a defenseman or a goalie .. would commit, panic, make a bad move ... and Gretzky would pounce on the opportunity.

soulok*

his ability to use players on the ice as bouncing and deflecting mechanisms. He was so smart he'd use the players on the ice to tip, bounce,deflect,redirect the puck into the net or pass it to teammates. I'd have a a chuckle everytime he would do these sort of things against opposing teams. They would kinda skate around the ice as if there iq levels dropped 100 points. Put there hands in the air as if to say huh" duh""""" i dunno what happened. Im Gretzky's b**** please take me of the ice. FUN TIMES :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad