What level of defenseman is Quinn Hughes currently?

What level of defenseman is Quinn Hughes?

• Total voters

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
2D, wouldn’t be shocked if he develops into a 1D though. Him and Makar, to an extent Miro, need defensive dmen to be the elite rover types that they are.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Tough call. Has the talent of a #1 and plays the role. Not sure he's actually there yet though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He’s about a 4. He’ll give up the offense he creates with how bad he defends. The offense and defense right about evens itself out for a league average defenseman. I also think we can’t say these are all general defensive concerns. I think he has below average hockey sense. Some of the plays he tries to make with the puck are shocking. This has been a problem for years. I haven’t seen it improve.

He should eventually get better in most areas as he gets closer to his prime, so he’ll probably become a 3 or possibly a 2.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Went with #3 just because to be a 1-2 you've got to be comfortable playing him late in a game with a 1 goal lead... He's not there yet, but he'll get better and will undoubtedly be a #1

Reactions: Dominance

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
High end #2, he needs to develop his defensive game to get into the bonafide #1 category, but his offensive skills are unbelievable. Anyone saying he's a #3 is completely out of their mind, I couldn't list 64 Dmen that are better than he is.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Honestly kind of more of a middle pairing guy who you feed 65+% offensive time and PP to.

If I see another teams' top line jump over the boards, I want nothing to do with him on the ice.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Subjective but if you can't anchor a line and prop up your partner you are not a #1 to me.

Obviously he's gifted offensively but without a partner that can cover his faults is anyone afraid to play against him? You'll probably score more on him than the other way.

Give him a Slavin and could be a top pairing in the league.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He is a #1 by virtue of his offensive abilities. But he needs a solid defensive-minded #2 to balance out his defensive weakness.
Nope. A true #1 doesn’t need an anchor to carry him. Quinn is closer to a 3D than a 1D. How is he any different from DeAngelo 2 seasons ago right now?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s about a 4. He’ll give up the offense he creates with how bad he defends. The offense and defense right about evens itself out for a league average defenseman. I also think we can’t say these are all general defensive concerns. I think he has below average hockey sense. Some of the plays he tries to make with the puck are shocking. This has been a problem for years. I haven’t seen it improve.

He should eventually get better in most areas as he gets closer to his prime, so he’ll probably become a 3 or possibly a 2.

I think this takes the critique too far.

He's more valuable than a league average D-man, even if you have to shelter him much of the time. Put Quinn Hughes out there when you're down a goal and he will provide you with a big edge. "Below average hockey sense" is clearly not applicable in the offensive zone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this takes the critique too far.

He's more valuable than a league average D-man, even if you have to shelter him much of the time. Put Quinn Hughes out there when you're down a goal and he will provide you with a big edge. "Below average hockey sense" is clearly not applicable in the offensive zone.

Hockey sense with the puck, in my opinion, is not only seeing certain passes others don’t see. If that’s all is being discussed, that’s playmaking. Hockey sense also involves puck management, and being able to process the decisions of teammates and defenders. I think Hughes struggles a lot with those areas. His puck management is really bad.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hockey sense with the puck, in my opinion, is not only seeing certain passes others don’t see. If that’s all is being discussed, that’s playmaking. Hockey sense also involves puck management, and being able to process the decisions of teammates and defenders. I think Hughes struggles a lot with those areas. His puck management is really bad.

His puck management is remarkably good in the offensive zone. I don't agree one bit.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
This is the poll where I don't mind if Hughes is rated lower if it means he is cheaper lol
This. I think both Hughes and the Canucks know how valuable he is though so I don't know if how he's viewed leaguewide will end up in a discount. One can hope :)

Reactions: DS7

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
His puck management is remarkably good in the offensive zone. I don't agree one bit.

In the offensive zone it is. In transition his decision-making can be really bad at times, though I think it's small things that can be worked on rather than just poor IQ. One thing he does that's incredibly infuriating is that he almost never offers support after he makes his first pass. He'll throw these passes to the neutral zone while gliding backwards then turn his back to the play and do a loose circle in his own zone before finally turning up ice. So he neither offers an outlet back nor does he position himself to defend a potential turnover as the last man back. He willfully takes himself out of the play. He'll also overhandle the puck trying to lose a forechecker rather than make a safe play and it gets him in trouble frequently, especially because he usually tries to beat him by carrying it back deep in his own zone first. Sometimes you want your most talented players to take those risks, but he still needs to learn when to do it

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad