What kind of recognition does Kaberle deserve?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It has been 4 seasons since his last as a Leaf. I would say this is a good time to take a look at his career as a Leaf.

2nd in Leaf D-men scoring
2nd in Leaf D-men assists
1st in Leaf D-men OT goals
1st in Leaf D-men GWG
5th in Leaf D-men goals
8th in Leaf games played
3rd in Leaf D-men games played
1337 shots as a Leaf

Does he deserve to be honoured? Anything special for him? I feel like things may have ended sourly here for no particular reason.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
He's one of the best offensive dmen we've drafted so yes, he'll be honoured for sure. Matter of when.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
It has been 4 seasons since his last as a Leaf. I would say this is a good time to take a look at his career as a Leaf.

2nd in Leaf D-men scoring
2nd in Leaf D-men assists
1st in Leaf D-men OT goals
1st in Leaf D-men GWG
5th in Leaf D-men goals
8th in Leaf games played
3rd in Leaf D-men games played
1337 shots as a Leaf

Does he deserve to be honoured? Anything special for him? I feel like things may have ended sourly here for no particular reason.
The last stat is surprising. I could swear he went years between shots:laugh:

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Very good Leaf, not worth "honouring".

Still remember the idiots at ACC always screaming "shoot" the second he entered the zone on a PP.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not really. He was a great pick, a solid D man, had longevity as a Leaf. And he waived his NTC to win a cup where we got back 3 assets. But IMO he doesn't belong with Leafs greats. More a Ian Turnbull type of player. A very nice player, but I would have trouble seeing his banner raised or for him to have some sort of pre game honour ceremony.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

Still remember the idiots at ACC always screaming "shoot" the second he entered the zone on a PP.

While that might be true Kabs who actually had a good shot was generous to a fault with his beautiful passes to lesser talents.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
While that might be true Kabs who actually had a good shot was generous to a fault with his beautiful passes to lesser talents.
He was definitely a pass-first defenceman, but the majority of his decisions were good. He was great at finding the open man and a lot of the calls for "shots" were from bad angles with better options (that he usually found) available.

His lack of shots was overblown, that's obvious if you take a look at his stats.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kaberle, Markov, and Berard were once all part of our young D core. We also had Yuskevich. I actually thought Markov was better defensively but Kaberle got the puck out of the zone better than any Leafs D man of his time. One pass and the Leafs were out of the zone. No one did that better than Tomas. Give him credit for this.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
He was definitely a pass-first defenceman, but the majority of his decisions were good. He was great at finding the open man and a lot of the calls for "shots" were from bad angles with better options (that he usually found) available.

His lack of shots was overblown, that's obvious if you take a look at his stats.

His amazing passes made Bryan McCabe a rich man

leafstilldeath*

Kabs deserves recognition of being a loyal serving Leaf.

Kabs deserves recognition of waving his NTC so that Leafs can get batter

Kabs was all class and was a better D-Man than Homophobic Sluroof who got the "C" instead of Kabs. It was a friggen joke and it still is!

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed

Not really. He was a great pick, a solid D man, had longevity as a Leaf. And he waived his NTC to win a cup where we got back 3 assets. But IMO he doesn't belong with Leafs greats. More a Ian Turnbull type of player. A very nice player, but I would have trouble seeing his banner raised or for him to have some sort of pre game honour ceremony.

He was on his way to becoming one worth honouring until Jackass Janssen....after that IMO he was never the same.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgDUNn8q4qo

Gigi Elle

'Til I Die
Jan 5, 2015
I don't know if he should be honoured in the way we honour our "greats", though seeing the stats kind of reminds me how solid he was.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was sort of a poor man's Niedermayer, wasn't he? The Leafs transition game has never been the same without him. Even though Gardiner and Rielly show a ton of promise, no one really brings the puck up as calmly and efficiently and error free as he did. Nor do we have a power play puck distributor like him.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
He should be honoured with a statue in Port Carling with the other members of the Muskoka 5.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Sadly Tomas Kaberle is the last Leaf draft pick who had a good career on a Leafs Jersey.

Edit - he was drafted 19 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad