What kind of defensive team would you rather be- good pass/bad rush or good rush/bad pass?

What kind of defensive team would you rather be?

• Total voters

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What's the lesser of 2 evils?

I think back to the 2006 Colts that gave up 100 yard rushers almost routinely until Bob Sanders returned late in the season, but allowed the second fewest passing yards and the fifth fewest passing touchdowns.

Conversely, last year's Saints had trouble stopping the pass but were great at stopping the run.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Probably excellence against the pass because teams will be reluctant to commit to the run.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
A really good pass rush can help with the pass defense provided the team has capable defenders on the backend. Force the QB to make a decision sooner than he wants to.
I think if you have no pass rush it puts a ton of pressure on the backend and plays will still happen if the QB can sit in the pocket and pick the receiver that gets open first.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Good pass D because that's the way the league has been going for a long time now.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I guess it depends on the makeup of the team but for the pats I’d rather they be able to stop the run

I’ve watched them win plenty of games with guys like Earthwind Moreland playing significant snaps in the secondary, I can’t remember the last time I ever saw them win a game where the other team gashes them in the running game

Not being able to stop the run leaves your guys more susceptible to play action too. Look what running the ball did for the pats last playoff run. They completely demoralized the chargers.

At least things can go wrong in the passing game....bad throws, drops, bad routes, deflections. If you can’t stop a handoff consistently you’re f***ed

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Im going in the minority and saying good rush D/bad pass D. My reasoning is there are only a few truly good QBs in the league where there are a million RBs that can gash you every week if your run D sucks. You can be a playoff bubble team with bad Pass D. But I'd probably build a team with Pass D first if I was a GM so maybe my vote is stupid.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Stop the pass.

While a good run defense is underrated, when it comes to the playoffs, teams usually abandon the run after a while.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'd rather be able to stop the run. It's a mentality thing. Passing the ball successfully is like pissing on their lawn. Running the ball successfully is like pissing on their lawn while staring them down and daring them to come do something about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad