What just happened with Chrome fonts?

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
Seriously, what in the world? It's only in Chrome, everything else is fine (including Firefox).

It's like ClearType just got turned on. It looks like hell. I have been looking all over for how to fix it, and it looks like the new version of Chrome doesn't have the direct-write flag that you can turn off. Anyone know what to do?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
A Windows update did something similar to me a while ago, I had to remove the update to fix it. Oddly, the update had nothing to do with fonts or the browser.

Jan 3, 2012
I've recently started using Waterfox for a specific flash game, and I'm thinking of switching entirely to it from chrome.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I've recently started using Waterfox for a specific flash game, and I'm thinking of switching entirely to it from chrome.

I, too, use Chrome for most browsing, but switch to Edge to play a specific Flash game (Haxball), since all fonts in the game are rather blurry in Chrome. It isn't a problem with regular websites, just in Flash games, and it's not a new one, as it's been the case for years. For all of the grief that IE and Edge get, I've found that games look and run better in them than in Chrome (and, I think, Firefox, though I haven't tested it that much).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad