What it takes

Durkin67

Yes.....baseless BS....

Anyone who thinks that we can look at how a player plays and blame it on the Media etc is simply fooling themselves.

Nobody is blaming it on the media. Way to jump to conclusions guy. It's about a PERSONAL inability to adapt to the unique pressure that comes with playing in this market. Nobody expects the media to behave a certain way. But to suggest that the pressures associated with this market aren't a factor which requires a certain level or ability to adapt is a crock of *****. Not everyone handles this environment particularly well, where your every comment and decision, to say nothing of your on ice performance is hyper scrutinised.

Deny this all you want, but you're the one fooling yourself if you actually believe it. I find it hard to fathom that you consider yourself a coach or mentor yet you have no concept at all of the effects of performance anxiety for some when placed under the microscope. And they say Carlyle is narrow minded...

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
A lot of players improve/regress for different teams, coaches, etc. Some players coming here and underachieving isn't unique to Toronto.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I agree with trading of gardiner and the lack of maturity and effort

In the nashville game there was a replay of gardiner being talked to on the bench by spott after a mistake and he never turned around.. never said anything.. never engaged with spott... just stared out into the ice

Same game.. it showed reilly.. after a mistake on the bench and spott comes over and starts talking to reilly.. reilly starts talking.. turns around .. watching the play. He was engaged in his surroundings

These are things you can never measure on paper by stats or counts. These are things people who manage other people (if they are good) understand. Gardiners head is not where a successful team needs it and its not like hes getting any younger or better. Trade the talent he has while getting rid of the frustration he provides

Durkin67

I agree with trading of gardiner and the lack of maturity and effort

In the nashville game there was a replay of gardiner being talked to on the bench by spott after a mistake and he never turned around.. never said anything.. never engaged with spott... just stared out into the ice

Same game.. it showed reilly.. after a mistake on the bench and spott comes over and starts talking to reilly.. reilly starts talking.. turns around .. watching the play. He was engaged in his surroundings

These are things you can never measure on paper by stats or counts. These are things people who manage other people (if they are good) understand. Gardiners head is not where a successful team needs it and its not like hes getting any younger or better. Trade the talent he has while getting rid of the frustration he provides

Well put...

He just doesn't seem to process information, or adapt/modify particularly well.

He repeats the same errors in the same game and he doesn't appear engaged at all. Toronto and all that goes with it seems to be is in his head, in a bad way.

This is why we always complain about how we give up on players who then go on to being successful in other, lower-pressure environments. Stick him on the blue line in Carolina or even Colorado and he gets it done, no question.

Here under the blue and white bubble? not so much...

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
Total BS. You only see what you want to see. Why does he play over 20 min/game.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

if you truly believe it is as simple as "gardiner is very good hence his ice time" then i do not know what to tell you.

it happens all the time, coaches and GMS get blinded by certain things they deem valuable, such as certain types of skillsets, character, certain abilities etc... hell if you read these boards people ***** from every fanbase about a certain player they do not understand gets the icetime he does or plays in the situations he does - there are also more complex reasons

in gardiner's case his skillset is phenominal for his size - the tools are there. noone in this sport could argue that effectively - the problem is everything else. maybe carlyle sees so much potential in him he is stuck in the hoping phase. maybe nonis sees so much potential in him still he is stuck in the hoping phase. maybe they are consistently showcasing him to gage how much they can get in a trade. maybe he shows excellent qualities in the room that we don't see. there could be a mountain of reasons, but i assure you it isn't just - he's playing very well therefore he gets the ice time he does.

IN MY OPINION, this team needs to move past the potential/hoping phase and deal him. we already one upped gardiner when we drafted Reilly and as we have seen already there isn't anything gardiner can do that reilly can't but IN MY OPINION there are numerous things reilly can do that gardiner can't, or else he'd be doing them.

sometimes what i notice when reading these boards or discussing with other fans is that we never get our stories straight when it comes to young players with potential and how much better they can be versus a player who slowly becomes what he is as a player. what i mean is that IN MY OPINION gardiner is slowly getting into that area where at some point we are going to have to accept that he is what he is - and it's when this topic comes into the conversation that you need to make a business decision (ENTER THE GM AS IT IS HIS JOB) to either keep or sell. in business all the time people that can succeed know when to cut their losses and sell all the while accepting that if they sell and that item goes on to get better all of a sudden it wasn't going to happen here.

i think this is where we need to go with Gardiner because before we know it he might just become another liles - who i know a lot of people were 'meh' about.

Feb 24, 2004
You may not buy it, but it's a reality, not an opinion.

You "Make the NHL" by being skilled enough to warrant opportunity.You succeed in the NHL by being both skilled, and prepared mentally and physically.

What does being prepared mentally mean?

Durkin67

What I see is a defensive liability who can't, or won't adapt or learn from his mistakes, which cost the Leafs at least one goal against per game.

They are being patient with Gardiner because generally they have been able to outscore their defensive issues, but he is most certainly running out of time.

His positives are obvious, and contrary to your analysis, we are all able to acknowledge those things. The problem is he is an unmitigated disaster behind the blue line and he shows no signs of development in that regard.

He appears incapable of adapting or adjusting. When is he going to accept that he has D zone responsibilities which may include coming into contact with the opposition?

Oodles of offensive talent but that doesn't cover the warts, which are going to start costing this team games.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
Saying that Toronto is too pressure-packed is the biggest copout argument ever. No league other than the NHL makes these arguments. No one (ok, many observers) don't want to point their fingers at the management and the coach for their incompetence.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Saying that Toronto is too pressure-packed is the biggest copout argument ever. No league other than the NHL makes these arguments. No one (ok, many observers) don't want to point their fingers at the management and the coach for their incompetence.

It is a copout sometimes... sometimes i would bet money it is not. It is valid that some players are not able to adapt to a large market with its pressures

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad