Movies: What is Your Opinion on "Under the Skin"?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Pretty random question, but was curious to see what HF thought of one of the most divisive films in recent years.

Official-Site-fb-share-LG.jpg

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It has some very artistic moments. It's mysterious. I disliked the ending.

Overall it's good, but not anywhere near as good as Sexy Beast. I've haven't checked out Birth yet.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Voted "Great." The ending's a little anti-cilmactic but suits the ambiguity of the film. I love how the movie completely trusts its visuals to tell the story and doesn't spoon feed the audience, very Kubrickian. I'm really looking forward to Glazer's next film.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In retrospect Under the Skin was one of the best English-language films of 2013. Gave it a "7" when I first saw it, but I'd boost that up a notch now to an "8." I thought that it seemed original, creepy, sexy, and stylish and that the role was perfect for Johansson because it turned her limitations as an actress (problems sometimes with emotions, engagement and certain kinds of line readings) into a plus for the role.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It was a long time ago so I don't remember all of it. Basically she was starting to become too connected with humans, forgetting what she was? The guy on the motorcycle was with her and collecting people but something happened to him.

I remember it ending brutally after somebody attempted to have sex with her. There were all those strange scenes too... I'll have to re-watch..

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Fantastic. Haunting, horrifying, sad. Images and sounds still stick with me. Amazing use of Scarlett Johanssen. Can't imagine any one else in this role. Not only my favorite movie the year it came out, but one of the best of the past decade.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm watching it right now. I'll update this post when something interesting happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad