What is your opinion on removing the offside rule from hockey?

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Sure.

Maybe take out the red line. Have face offs in the stands too.

WAnna have more flow in the game? Call the clutching and grabbing and interference all the time. It's Fn ridiculous how many times guys are skating up the ice with another dimwit mauling them. Call that stuff and the game will flow.

More goals? See above. And smaller goalie equipment.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
sweet then johnny hockey can just stand in front of the goalie to cherry pick now

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Removing it would be detrimental, but I think it could use a tweak.

Either as simple as a league mandate to relax the calls on entries in an "ties goes to the runner" style shift to only calling blatant infractions instead of watching the line like hawks

or something like allowing attackers to cross the line ahead of the puck carrier as long as the puck has crossed centre but not be eligible for a pass until the carrier enters the zone.

A. would just create more flow, cut down on whistles and allow offenses more leeway at the line, B would allow teams rush with more speed and push defenders back off the line without enabling cherry picking, but would be more complex to officiate.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
My Idea would have been to get rid of the Offsides , keep the lines, and reinstate the two line passing rule.

Offsides are meant to prevent cherry picking. And in most cases, offsides in todays nhl are called offside by a foot or less. Hardly an advantage.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Recently there has been a strong movement on the side of removing the offside rule from hockey as way of improving offense in the game. I am wondering what the opinion is of fans of the game on whether they feel that this would be an improvement or not.

My opinion.

No :badidea:

Everyone have a super day. :cheers:

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
There's a strong movement on the side of allowing me to have sex with Blake Lively and Alexandra Daddario on the same night.

I mean, since one person's idea can now be called a "strong movement" around here.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
sweet then johnny hockey can just stand in front of the goalie to cherry pick now

While the other team gets a powerplay the entire game

I think I've seen this "cherrypicking" argument said 5 times in this thread without people realizing that simple fact.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Cherrypicking argument is a weak one. Roller hockey has no offsides and there is no cherrypicking going on.
I'd be open to try that in OT for example.
I guess refs union will be strongly against it though.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Offense in modern hockey suffers from lack of time and space. Offside rule creates a lot of time and space. When defending team clears the puck over their blueline, they have 2-3 opposition players trapped behind the puck and as much time and space as they will ever have. Neutral zone turn over is dangerous but that danger is mitigated by the offside rule. Turn the puck over and you still have a bit of time and space to recover while your opponent gets back on side.

I intuitively wish to get rid of 'just a hair offside'. You know what I mean? Some skate that's a quarter of an inch over some line. I couldn't care less. It's just a game, it's not science. However, I have no idea how to implement such a change without simply letting linesman make a judgement call. This one was pretty close, this one was not close enough.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I intuitively wish to get rid of 'just a hair offside'. You know what I mean? Some skate that's a quarter of an inch over some line. I couldn't care less. It's just a game, it's not science. However, I have no idea how to implement such a change without simply letting linesman make a judgement call. This one was pretty close, this one was not close enough.

You could widen the blue line.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada

So it would be no different than any other penalty call really (with the exception of over the glass/delay of game). They are all pretty much judgement calls. What is hooking to one ref will be nothing to another.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Floorball doesn't have an offside rule and you don't see more breakaways than in hockey. It isn't as stupid idea as some here suggest, but... I don't see need to remove it. Would be interesting to see for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad