What is your opinion on removing the offside rule from hockey?

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Recently there has been a strong movement on the side of removing the offside rule from hockey as way of improving offense in the game. I am wondering what the opinion is of fans of the game on whether they feel that this would be an improvement or not.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
would make things really difficult for D. When the play moved up you would have guys rush ahead of puck carrier. D has to drop back faster to cover them. Would open a huge amount of space for carrier and he could move into a good shooting position really easily.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
It introduces more strategy in terms of driving play and opting for defense/offense etc. but it will never, ever even be given discussion because people are so rooted in hockey tradition that they'd never want to change such a big aspect of the game. But I definitely think it warrants a conversation and could introduce a really entertaining aspect to the game.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Recently there has been a strong movement on the side of removing the offside rule from hockey as way of improving offense in the game.

Oh really? From where?

I am wondering what the opinion is of fans of the game on whether they feel that this would be an improvement or not.

Another stupid idea from those who believe that goals equal excitement. If they want a game like hockey with lots of goals they should watch lacrosse and stop with the stupid ideas for 'improving' hockey.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What I am open to is once the puck crosses the red line, players can skate over the blue line

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
It introduces more strategy in terms of driving play and opting for defense/offense etc. but it will never, ever even be given discussion because people are so rooted in hockey tradition that they'd never want to change such a big aspect of the game. But I definitely think it warrants a conversation and could introduce a really entertaining aspect to the game.

So people are opposed because of tradition not because it is a stupid idea?

:facepalm:

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010

This is what I am going for when I posted this. I think it is an interesting thought experiment on how this would affect the game. Would this be an improvement or a detriment to the game? How would it affect offensive production and defensive strategy? Is it a viable solution to the current issue of lack of offense in the game.

I feel that is a topic worthy of discussion and I am interested in the opinions of other hockey fans regarding the issue.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Recently there has been a strong movement on the side of removing the offside rule from hockey as way of improving offense in the game. I am wondering what the opinion is of fans of the game on whether they feel that this would be an improvement or not.

Literally never heard of such a 'strong movement'. Simply put, it would be terrible.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
You'd need to reintroduce the two (or three?) line pass rule to prevent cherry picking, but I think it has potential.

I don't really like the concept of offsides because most offsides just stop the flow of the game.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
So people are opposed because of tradition not because it is a stupid idea?

:facepalm:

I never mentioned people that were opposed, I mentioned the people that won't even bother discussing it, even though there are some really interesting proposals and outcomes from the changes. But like this thread proves, many people would rather dismiss it and call it dumb than have a conversation about it.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The only change imo is making offsides not challengable. If it was close enough to where the linesman didn't catch it, calling offsides on a slow motion replay isn't in the spirit of the rule

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Whose this strong support coming from?

Cherry picking would be ridiculous, power plays would be over powered, defense could just skate it out of the offensive zone whenever they want which would be brutal to watch.

Getting it out of your zone is a big deal at the moment. That would be completely taken out. I'd hate it.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm not as much of a purist as some others when it comes to the rulebook, and I think it could be a good idea.

As someone else said, perhaps reinstate the two line pass rule to avoid excessive cherry picking. Removing the offside would add so much flow and speed to a game that has become more cluttered and hectic over the years.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
Perhaps I overstated the power of this movement as its not huge, but I have recently been hearing more conversation on sports talk radio and hockey podcasts about whether or not this could be a viable solution to the lack of offense issue that has been major talking point these last few years. The first people I have heard advocating this idea are Jeff Marek and Greg Wyshinski , i thought that it was interesting idea that some others have begun discussing as well.

I am interested in a discussion about how this could affect the game and whether it would be worth pursuing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad