Line Combos: What is Your New Dream Scenario Post TDL?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
OK! So the TDL is done, Chevy can retire to the cottage. NOW, I want to know what YOU would do with our players. I'll get us started.

As I've said - I am a big fan of forward pairs, I believe that you put 2 players who are complimentary together and then you can move around the third forward based on how the line is doing or dependent on situation. For this exercise, I will add the third forward but denote the pairs in bold:

81 - 55 - 73 Yes, I know people HATE 81 and 55 together, but they like playing together and there is little doubt they fill the net. Adding Tofolli here might add a bit of grit and defensive awareness - from NJ fans comments he is responsible in that area. This line could be a lot to handle

27 - 23 - 13 This line could be really great. Ehlers can carry the mail, and you have 2 guys with great hands around the net. All 3 of these guys can score, another tough matchup for the opposition

62 - 17 - 22 I really am not a fan of Appleton but he has his moments. The line has good chemistry and can score while being suppression and forechecking animals

36 - 7 - 9 I struggled mightily with this one. I wanted so badly to put Perfetti in that spot but he's just not playing well enough to justify it. Yes, Iafallo can't find the broad side of a barn, but he is a really great battler for the puck, has the speed and energy to forecheck, and those are qualities you want for a 4th line. I am open to replacing Iafallo for Perfetti, but knowing the Jets, they would more likely scratch Barron than Iafallo.

If I really wanted to go off the rails, I would scratch Appleton, put Barron in his spot, and dress Perfetti on the 4th line.

Black Aces: 91, 19, 15

44 - 2
Duh
54 - 24 Yes, I moved these two up to the second pair. I guess we will have to see how they vibe, but with Samberg's play, and Miller being touted as the next Demelo this will make our top 4 very hard to create against
5 - 4 I've really loved Dillys game this year - and he's obviously a leader on this team. Pionk, unfortunately has been a bit of a shitshow and I really love Neal. I'm hoping playoff Neal comes back. This pair should do much better against softer comp.

Black Aces: 88, 64, 14, 77

We are so friggin fortunate to have FOUR NHL defensemen ready to play if need be.

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like to see them load up a third scoring line to torch other team's bottom 6

Connor - Scheifele - Vilardi
Ehlers - Monahan - Iafallo
Perfetti - Names - Toffoli
Nino - Lowry - Appleton

Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Pionk
Samberg - Miller

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like to see them load up a third scoring line to torch other team's bottom 6

Ehlers - Monahan - Iafallo
Perfetti - Names - Toffoli
Nino - Lowry - Appleton

Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Pionk
Samberg - Miller
That's interesting. I thought about that too, that's a matchup nightmare for other teams

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
A first line of Eyssimont, Petan and Dano - what could have been :(ad to play if need be.

Lol, What is that quote from???

I am a big fan of Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers generally, but I don't know who is going to get Toffoli the puck on a line with Monahan and Vilardi and that line would be way too slow. Plus, I think Connor is still not 100% from his injury, which is causing the 81-55-13 line to look way worse than it really is. I would love to see Pionk and Schmidt battling it out for #3 RD. Neither has been great but Schmidt has mostly cleaned up his act after a couple nights in the pressbox whereas Pionk has been turrrible

I guess I'd start with:

Ehlers - Monahan - Toffoli
Niederreiter - Lowry - Iafallo
Barron - Namestnikov - Perfetti

Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Miller
Samberg - Schmidt/Pionk

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The way Scheifele has been so dominant lately I'd put him with the 2 most natural goal scorers in Connor and Toffoli and build down from there.

81-55-73
27-23-13
62-17-22 (Bones wouldn't touch this group with a gun to his head)
36-7-9

I think Perfetti will be in tough with this veteran of a forward group. Bones won't park him in the press box, I don't think, so I expect some sort of rotation with Apples, Iaffalo and Baron over the last 20 games. Of course injuries will come into play. Come playoffs I expect something like the above, if fully healthy.

On defense Miller will be given a chance to supplant Schmidt, which I think he ends up doing. Other than that D pairings are written in stone.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
ehlers-scheifele-toffoli
connor-monahan-vilardi
nino-lowry-appleton
barron-names-perfetti/mcgroarty/iafallo

i think toffoli and connor should be on separate lines esp if scheifele's the C. lots of configurations though ofc.

bottom-6 - i don't really get the hate on appleton? for a while he was the one scoring making shit happen on offense when nino went goalless for 15gp and lowry for another 20. but so many posts crapping on him.

4th line - maybe a stretch for Mcgroarty to come in. but would be a bit more energy to the line-up especially given the alternatives like perfetti or iafallo. having options between those 3 isn't a bad thing.

idk about defense; i like this group as is when healthy except for pionk's play the 2nd half of the year.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The way Scheifele has been so dominant lately I'd put him with the 2 most natural goal scorers in Connor and Toffoli and build down from there.

81-55-73
27-23-13
62-17-22 (Bones wouldn't touch this group with a gun to his head)
36-7-9

I think Perfetti will be in tough with this veteran of a forward group. Bones won't park him in the press box, I don't think, so I expect some sort of rotation with Apples, Iaffalo and Baron over the last 20 games. Of course injuries will come into play. Come playoffs I expect something like the above, if fully healthy.

On defense Miller will be given a chance to supplant Schmidt, which I think he ends up doing. Other than that D pairings are written in stone.

If I must accept Connor - Scheif (which I don't by the criteria of this thread), I like this approach. I would swap 9 for 91 on that 4th line, all day long.

In my mind, Miller has already supplanted Schmidt. The "given a chance" part might be to see if Schmidt can supplant Pionk and do Schmidt/Pionk play 2nd pair or 3rd?

ehlers-scheifele-toffoli
connor-monahan-vilardi
nino-lowry-appleton

i think toffoli and connor should be on separate lines; esp if scheifele's the C. lots of configurations though ofc.

bottom-6 - i don't really get the hate on appleton? for a while he was the one scoring making shit happen on offense when nino went goalless for 15gp and lowry for another 20. but so many posts crapping on him.

4th line - maybe a stretch for Mcgroarty to come in. but would be a bit more energy to the line-up especially given the alternatives like perfetti or iafallo. having options between those 3 isn't a bad thing.

idk about defense; i like this group as is when healthy except for pionk's play the 2nd half of the year.

Best yet - IMO. :thumbu:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
ehlers-scheifele-toffoli
connor-monahan-vilardi
nino-lowry-appleton

i think toffoli and connor should be on separate lines; esp if scheifele's the C. lots of configurations though ofc.

There are so many good options now if everyone is healthy.

If anyone is going to come up to play in the NHL, it will have to be done soon. You don't want to throw them in too late. And it's always good to know what you have if you need them.

Reactions: DRW204

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
John Lu said yesterday that the org is committed to giving 81-55-13 a good look since Connor and Vilardi have each had long term injuries this season.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Worried that a line with both Monahan and Toffoli or Connor and Toffoli is going to get caved.

Maybe I'm wrong but in some ways this lineup looks even more precarious and I'm not sure we have a ton of options. Feels a bit like we're somewhat hurt for drivers, but I guess we'll see how it goes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Worried that a line with both Monahan and Toffoli or Connor and Toffoli is going to get caved.

Maybe I'm wrong but in some ways this lineup looks even more precarious and I'm not sure we have a ton of options. Feels a bit like we're somewhat hurt for drivers, but I guess we'll see how it goes.
Why do you think that with Toffoli? He has really nice possession numbers with NJ.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Connor - Scheifele - Toffoli
Ehlers - Monahan - Vilardi
Niederreiter - Lowry - Perfetti
Barron - Gus - Namesnikov

Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Pionk
Samberg - Miller

Hellebuyck

I want Perfetti in there, but with how Bowness rolls his line ups, I don't see anyone but Iafallo, Namesnikov, and Appleton there. Fetts needs to play to learn how to break through in the NHL. Bet on the ceiling, not the floor.

The idea of a top nine really should come back. Put Lowry as the fourth line. 2018's Jets team had a monster top 9.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Why do you think that with Toffoli? He has really nice possession numbers with NJ.

You know what I might be wrong, always thought of him as a scorer/rush offense dude but looking it up you're right, he seems decent in all zones. Maybe Ehlers - Monahan - Toffoli will work? Or even Connor - Mona - Toffoli.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
OK! So the TDL is done, Chevy can retire to the cottage. NOW, I want to know what YOU would do with our players. I'll get us started.

As I've said - I am a big fan of forward pairs, I believe that you put 2 players who are complimentary together and then you can move around the third forward based on how the line is doing or dependent on situation. For this exercise, I will add the third forward but denote the pairs in bold:

81 - 55 - 73 Yes, I know people HATE 81 and 55 together, but they like playing together and there is little doubt they fill the net. Adding Tofolli here might add a bit of grit and defensive awareness - from NJ fans comments he is responsible in that area. This line could be a lot to handle

27 - 23 - 13 This line could be really great. Ehlers can carry the mail, and you have 2 guys with great hands around the net. All 3 of these guys can score, another tough matchup for the opposition

62 - 17 - 22 I really am not a fan of Appleton but he has his moments. The line has good chemistry and can score while being suppression and forechecking animals

36 - 7 - 9 I struggled mightily with this one. I wanted so badly to put Perfetti in that spot but he's just not playing well enough to justify it. Yes, Iafallo can't find the broad side of a barn, but he is a really great battler for the puck, has the speed and energy to forecheck, and those are qualities you want for a 4th line. I am open to replacing Iafallo for Perfetti, but knowing the Jets, they would more likely scratch Barron than Iafallo.

If I really wanted to go off the rails, I would scratch Appleton, put Barron in his spot, and dress Perfetti on the 4th line.

Black Aces: 91, 19, 15

44 - 2
Duh
54 - 24 Yes, I moved these two up to the second pair. I guess we will have to see how they vibe, but with Samberg's play, and Miller being touted as the next Demelo this will make our top 4 very hard to create against
5 - 4 I've really loved Dillys game this year - and he's obviously a leader on this team. Pionk, unfortunately has been a bit of a shitshow and I really love Neal. I'm hoping playoff Neal comes back. This pair should do much better against softer comp.

Black Aces: 88, 64, 14, 77

We are so friggin fortunate to have FOUR NHL defensemen ready to play if need be.
I'm gonna guess your phone is on dark mode or whatever lol... are you trying to give me a seizure?

1000026025.jpg

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lol, What is that quote from???

I am a big fan of Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers generally, but I don't know who is going to get Toffoli the puck on a line with Monahan and Vilardi and that line would be way too slow. Plus, I think Connor is still not 100% from his injury, which is causing the 81-55-13 line to look way worse than it really is. I would love to see Pionk and Schmidt battling it out for #3 RD. Neither has been great but Schmidt has mostly cleaned up his act after a couple nights in the pressbox whereas Pionk has been turrrible

I guess I'd start with:

Ehlers - Monahan - Toffoli
Niederreiter - Lowry - Iafallo
Barron - Namestnikov - Perfetti

Morrissey - DeMelo
Dillon - Miller
Samberg - Schmidt/Pionk
Haha it was just my immature reaction to this board every time we let a turd leave and people scream TERRIBLE ASSET MANAGEMENT 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Cypruss

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Haha it was just my immature reaction to this board every time we let a turd leave and people scream TERRIBLE ASSET MANAGEMENT 😂
Oh, I thought it was an actual post. Its really not that far off....

But it brought back some memories. Nic Petan absolutely globe-trottering junior and then dominating the WJC with McDavid, capped off with a hattrick and his now-late Dad throwing his hat on the ice. Still feel for that kid.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad