Movies: What is your favorite "adult" kids movie?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd love to see a well-made cinematic version of The Little Prince. It's one of my favorite stories in the world and I feel it has a lot of potential aesthetically for the visual arts but I haven't seen or heard of a well-made version (in french I might add).

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
It'd be really nice to have a new adaptation, one that replaces the odious first one and captures the charms of the novel. Imagine if Disney were to do a 3D-animated version. It could be challenging, but they could handle limited bunny deaths like they did Simba's father in The Lion King and make chase scenes exhilarating, rather than suspenseful and scary like the 1978 version did.

There was a 1999-2001 British & Canadian made TV series (39 half hour episodes) which took elements from the book and then expanded it with new material. All the episodes are available on YouTube.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
The Tigger Movie

His search for somewhere to belong actually has a lot of parallels to people, and his emotions in the process are surprisingly genuine for a kids movie. Not sure it's for adults, but any time my kid wants to watch it - it's pretty accurate to adult life and I want to jump into the movie and give Tigger a ****ing hug.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know if "favourite" is the right word, but the first movie that came to mind was Witches with Anjelica Huston. Freaked the kids out a bit. I remember looking at my partner and us trading glances that said "What have we done?" :laugh:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A couple that come to mind from my childhood are The Black Hole and, to a much lesser degree, Tron. Both late 70s/early 80s. Maybe not directly made for kids but certainly kiddie friendly/kiddie adjacent. I mean both are Disney and both had toy lines so not not kids movies.

I'll do Tron first -- the scene where Flynn is sucked into the game FREAKED ME OUT. David Warner's giant looming head was always unsettling too. (Also, speaking of his looming head, maybe Time Bandits is worth a mention too).

I wrote about The Black Hole in the Last Movie thread a few months back. It's so weird and dark. Upsetting robot-on-robot violence, some real creepy imagery throughout especially with a super trippy sequence at the end of the movie where the villain merges with his robot creation and (spoiler alert) DESCENDS INTO HELL. Again, ostensibly a kids movie. I had some of the toys :)

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
It should have been the Tintin movie but Spielberg ended up Spielberg-ing it and it was like an animated version of an Indiana Jones film where they just get chased from one place to another rather than being an interesting mystery like the cartoons. Whatever it was fine. I'll go with Shrek.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
heavyweights-1S-2.jpg

Love this movie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad