What is your concern level?

Sportsfan1

Jun 9, 2012
State of Hockey
I get that twitter is a haven for over reactors in the general public. Russo (now I haven't read his timeline) is been commenting on the people already calling for heads, over reacting and so on.

Anyway, esteemed members of the Wild boards. What is your concern level on this team right now? Rank it 1-10, one being not worried, 10 being defcon 5. ;)

Me personally, 3

I really like the defenseman joining the rush, I think Yeo's changes this offseason are looking good and by en large we have played well

The bad of course and concerning part is the stretches of inconsistent plays like in the 1st and 3rd last night, the shoddy goaltending (Backstrom) and the PK is an issue.

To early to panic, but really are areas that need fixing now, so for me, 3. What is yours?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Lowest level possible. We've outplayed 3 strong opponents and have just come out on the losing side. Nothing to be completely concerned about. Talk to me after game 4 and maybe I'll change to a 10.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
5. Just seeing Yeo make the same nonsense moves and the team with the usual work hard for no goals work ethic has me worried already. sure its only 3 games in, but its still a continuation of a trend that has yet to be broken out of.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
1 or 2.

In our first three losses, we've shown more positive offensive signs then in the history of this organization.

Goaltending is a question mark and our 2nd Dman pairing needs to be figured out, but I am liking everything else.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
Only 3 games but overall we played fine, just need to kill inconsistency

1 or 2.

In our first three losses, we've shown more positive offensive signs then in the history of this organization.

Goaltending is a question mark and our 2nd Dman pairing needs to be figured out, but I am liking everything else.

Agree with you, we played like a different team for most part of the game

That's a very positive mark to change this team culture.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
what's the opposite of concerned? Encouraged? I'm that. Coyle's injury derails things a bit though.

OpRedDawn*

Mostly concerned about the long term of our "sytem" / coach.

To me, it sure boosts our defense by always being in the corners on the forecheck. A lot harder to give up odd man rushes when the puck is always down low in their end. However, tt sacrifices good scoring opportunities for our forwards. As a result, it's just throwing low % shots at the goalie and hoping it goes in. We have the worst scoring chances out of any team. I'd almost rather go back to the trap and try to counter punch, rather than be on the boards 99% of the game.

As far as the roster goes, we're still lacking a dynamic forward. I think that a player like Granny needs someone like that in order to be successful. Every time Granlund touches the puck, it seems like he's along the boards with zero space. The way he's being used (or is playing) is like a small grinder with good hands.

But as to the main point of the thread, it's a mid level concern. I just don't think Yeo is up to the task, nor is our system designed for our players.

GORGO

Dec 10, 2011
BABBITT, MN
Ahh.. You fella's are too easy or all ya'll are bucket fans.. Make no mistake. IMO anyways This team does not have near enough talent nor near enough direction from the lousy coaching staff to ever get past The Hawks- The Blues- The Fish- The Queens on and on.. If your gonna have lousy goaltending like we have you better have Defenseman bigger than 5'8 and more than 2 that can actually handle the puck..

If your all waiting for Zucker-Granny- Phillips-Lucia-Spurgy-Scandella etc. to lead us to the promise land. Your all going to be disappointed.. This team needs a couple Milan Lucic's- David Clarkson's- Dustin Brown's etc. Guys that will run their sister into the the 3rd row night in and night out.. We don't need anymore Rupp's -Kenopka's- Stoner's... We need gritty player's that can fight AND actually play. The best teams in hockey have that.. The Wild have lacked that their whole existence...

Fletcher and Liepold would like you all to believe" The cupboard" is full again.. what a joke!..I get these are still kids and there young but most every other team has young guys contributing every night but The Wild... IMO Zuck is the next Wellman.. Granny is the next Shep... Scandella is The next Cuma..All the same type of player. Lot's of hype but never make a real difference.. IMO this team as it stands doesn't make the PO's as far as I can see..

Worry meter= 8

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Ahh.. You fella's are too easy or all ya'll are bucket fans.. Make no mistake. IMO anyways This team does not have near enough talent nor near enough direction from the lousy coaching staff to ever get past The Hawks- The Blues- The Fish- The Queens on and on.. If your gonna have lousy goaltending like we have you better have Defenseman bigger than 5'8 and more than 2 that can actually handle the puck..

If your all waiting for Zucker-Granny- Phillips-Lucia-Spurgy-Scandella etc. to lead us to the promise land. Your all going to be disappointed.. This team needs a couple Milan Lucic's- David Clarkson's- Dustin Brown's etc. Guys that will run their sister into the the 3rd row night in and night out.. We don't need anymore Rupp's -Kenopka's- Stoner's... We need gritty player's that can fight AND actually play. The best teams in hockey have that.. The Wild have lacked that their whole existence...

Fletcher and Liepold would like you all to believe" The cupboard" is full again.. what a joke!..I get these are still kids and there young but most every other team has young guys contributing every night but The Wild... IMO Zuck is the next Wellman.. Granny is the next Shep... Scandella is The next Cuma..All the same type of player. Lot's of hype but never make a real difference.. IMO this team as it stands doesn't make the PO's as far as I can see..

Worry meter= 8

Then don't let the door hit ya. Too bad Zucker has already accomplished more than Wellman ever has.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
I'm at about a 6 or 7.. Not because we're off to a winless start but because I just don't think we have what it takes to be a successful team. For one, I think we're going to see a season full of rotating goaltenders & not in a good way. I hope I'm wrong but I was weary last year about our goaltending situation & as much as I respect what Backstrom has done in the past & how much heart Harding has I just think we have a risky & inconsistent goaltending tandem. Backstrom seems to be showing signs of wear that you usually don't see til later in the season & as much as I hate to even say it, Hardings questionable Heath scares me a bit. I know he's one tough guy & I respect the hell out of him & want more than anything for him to just put on a clinic this season but I just can't shake the feeling that he's fragile, if he's even bumped hard I worry about him. I won't even comment on off the ice worries related to the MS because I don't know enough about it but ya... I can't stress enough that I hope I'm wrong on him tho.

Furthermore, unless Nino just goes beast mode we're still missing that high quality finisher... If we had Heatley 5 years ago, or even a player like Matt Moulson who just seems to finish plays with goals, I think we have to many playmakers & workhorses. Basically if we just had one more player hitting his prime that we can rely on to consistently pot 30+ a season it could change everything. Right now I think Parise is our only hope to even get close to 30 goals & one player just doesn't cut it. Yes we could win with goals by committee but the wilds track record on goal scoring doesn't instill much hope on that front...

Lastly, I think we're just too young, shaky & inexperienced on defense. We lack at least one more solid,
Good sized, tough as nails, consistent defenseman. I think Brodin & Dumba will grow into exactly what we need, especially with Suter here long term but for this season, unless Scandella or Stoner somehow pull it all together & quick, we're just too porous to compete with deep teams. We can't ask Suter & Brodin to play 30+ mins a game all season, it's asking too much. Also as I mentioned above, we just lack the scoring ability & goal tending ability to compensate for the inevitable defensive lapses that will come...

So regardless of our slow start, I just don't think we have the ability to be anything more than a fringe playoff team. With all that said, a solid trade or a few players clicking & playing above their means could change this all but as I mentioned in another thread, watching us compared to watching numerous other teams, we just don't have that explosiveness. We're a bunch of grinders & it makes us medium successful but until I see us playing the type of games where you just saw "wow" on a consistent basis, I just don't see us being a serious contender this season...

But hey, if we can just make the playoffs, it's been seen that anything can happen but you're not going to be seeing me betting on the Wild to win it all this season, but with that said, I don't trust any major Minnesota sports team to win anything. As a state with 4 major sports we have about the least amount of championship wins in the whole country... I hate even having said all this because in every other aspect of life I'm an extremely optimistic & positive person but being a Minnesota sports fan has just killed any optimism I had when it comes to our sports teams. (Btw, I'm not a twins fan so no need to mention that the twins actually won something when I was still practically in diapers)

Go wild, prove me wrong.... Sorry for another long post guys.

se7en

infamous...
Apr 14, 2010
Maui, HI
Btw, before anyone jumps on me, I'm always going to be a fan & watch every single game hoping & cheering. I'm simply saying that I don't feel like we're there yet but I could easily be wrong & so many intangibles could change my outlook & quickly. That's all. Just giving my humble opinion as we stand right here right now...

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Worry meter= 8

Our only D near 5'8" is spurgeon, with Ballard next at 5'11" and the rest over 6', so I don't get that part.

How can Scandy be the next Cuma when they're the same age?
Saying that ___ prospect is the next _____ really doesn't mean anything. Zucker and Wellman play completely different games, same with Granlund and Sheppard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad