What is wrong with Timo Meier?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
No Hertl or Karlson.. playing on a team trying to win vs a team that knows it will lose and trying to score a few goals. Different expectations on a playoff/cup contender.

I think he'll figure it out though.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
In February, the Devils traded for Meier:

Since then, he has been distinctly underwhelming in New Jersey. This season he is pointless in 3 games and was benched the entire 3rd period last night:

Whats wrong with Timo? I was prepared to attribute last year's ineffectiveness to injuries, but why does he still look so bad?

I am not solely concerned about my fantasy team.
He became ridiculously overrated

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Easy PP points because of Karlsson? What do you think EK was passing Meier open net tap-ins on the PP? And that's a weird thing to say anyway when NJ has great players to play with.

In his career season 2 years ago he led the Sharks in even strength points by 11.

But yeah.. clearly things haven't been clicking with his teammates yet. I don't think it has to be any more complicated than that.
Umm yes exactly that. You realize Karlsson had 101 points? Meier was the beneficiary of a ton of those. Yes Jersey has sick players too but it’s clearly not clicking. Will it? Ya probably but looks terrible right now

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
How about easy powerplay points with Hughes? I mean, I think NJ would take close to 76 points. He scored 9 goals in 21 games last season for them, that's a fantastic pace that NJ takes all day long.

Obviously they need him to be a deadly top 6 weapon rather than a luxury top 9 with that cap hit, but I think there's a difference saying his overrated and not that good. He is a good player.
Last year he had 18 PPP in 57 games with SJ and it was down to 5 PPP in 21 games with NJ....so that explains a lot of the difference.....and some of that could simply be getting acclimated with a new team.

I'm ignoring the 0pts in 3 games this year because, you know, it's 3 games......any player in the world can go pointless for 3 games.

Close to $9M for him looks like a lot though.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
He had really elite underlaying numbers for 1-2 years leading up to the trade but he had a few rough years before that - maybe his just an inconsistent player? Maybe not adjusting to the new system.

NJD are fair better than the Sharks so the linemates excuse isn't ringing true for me - although maybe he is getting less opportunity

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
As all knee jerk reactions go 3 games into the season… let’s maybe wait more then 3 games into the season

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
He’s not that good maybe? He’s never had more than 76 points in a season. No more easy Pp points without Karlsson. He’s very overrated imo.

Contract could be an absolute cap killer soon.

He's not some Powerplay leach lol. His 5v5 goal scoring is very very good over the whole course of his career.

Doubt he just suddenly sucks.

Reactions: karltonian

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
I thought he played good in the playoffs last year despite his stats but he wasn't good in the regular season.

Lets wait till the end of the regular season and playoffs to see how he is. I think he'll have poor stats in the regular season but be a playoff monster. That's all we need him for because this team can make the playoffs without him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He had really elite underlaying numbers for 1-2 years leading up to the trade but he had a few rough years before that - maybe his just an inconsistent player? Maybe not adjusting to the new system.

NJD are fair better than the Sharks so the linemates excuse isn't ringing true for me - although maybe he is getting less opportunity
It's the system. Meier is very efficient in a system like DeBoer's. Heavy, possession based hockey, cycling, holding onto pucks is his kinda thing. SJ used to have the ideal players for this system to smother opponents. Meier, Hertl, Thornton etc. NJ is built differently and unless I'm missing something, Ruff is kinda the exact opposite of DeBoer, preferring uptempo hockey.

I think Meier and NJ was always a misunderstanding. I never understood why they traded for him and why he signed there. Yes, Meier is still a good player but I'm not sure Meier will be able to fully adjust to a system he's not built for, teammates he has little chemistry with. Lindy Ruff is great at getting the best out of many players but I'm not convinced Timo Meier is one of them.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
3 games into a season a typically good player doesn’t have a point yet.

HFboards: “Well obviously he just isn’t that good, was always overrated, and will continue to struggle.”

Gotta love how like one poster says it’s cuz “no more Hertl or Karlsson” while another says it’s cuz “Has to share the puck with guys like Hughes and Bratt”. Lol….

Or here’s a thought: maybe just MAYBE let’s give it some time?

Reactions: MVP Zacha

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He's just not that good. Despite his physical gifts, a low IQ and selfish player.
The latter have become glaringly obvious in NJ.

In SJ, he was afforded the luxury of being a Meier-first gunslinger. Getting the prime opportunities and being allowed to basically do what he wants in the offensive zone, as well as not really having any expectations of defensive play. Meier's style hasn't meshed well with the Devils' speed and aggressiveness-based game.

It's not the case in NJ.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
He’ll be fine but might produce less just because in SJ all the offence went thru him

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
3 games into a season a typically good player doesn’t have a point yet.

HFboards: “Well obviously he just isn’t that good, was always overrated, and will continue to struggle.”

Gotta love how like one poster says it’s cuz “no more Hertl or Karlsson” while another says it’s cuz “Has to share the puck with guys like Hughes and Bratt”. Lol….

Or here’s a thought: maybe just MAYBE let’s give it some time?
Timo Meier is a very good player but to be honest he's never been at his best with NJ. I'm fairly certain he's feeling like a square peg in a round hole and I don't know why he signed that contract. We'll see if he'll be able to adjust but I have my doubts.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Umm yes exactly that. You realize Karlsson had 101 points? Meier was the beneficiary of a ton of those. Yes Jersey has sick players too but it’s clearly not clicking. Will it? Ya probably but looks terrible right now
Doesn't make a lot of sense for dman/half-wall winger to connect for backdoor tap-ins frequently on the power play...

But just for you I watched every Meier goal from last year. There were 2 empty net tap-ins assisted by Karlsson. You're not going to make me take away credit from the shooter on any nice one-timers or nice deflections where EK might've been the primary assist.

EK had 27 PP points all year. How many of those were before Meier got traded? How many of those goals did Meier do the scoring? And how many of those goals scored by someone else even gave Meier an 'easy' assist? EK had a career year, but we're not talking about that many extra points for Timo because of it.

Besides explain how Meier got "carried" by EK's PP prowess 2 years ago when Meier led the entire team and EK had a whopping 35 points all season.

You're just assuming something here. Logical to do so, but it's really not true.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad