What is Tyler Myers?

What caliber d is Tyler Myers?

• Total voters

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He's a 5/6 ideally but on many teams he might be forced into a #4 role. You are probably looking for an upgrade if he is playing in your top 4 unless you have a really good partner for him. Really good in the offensive zone, if he could just be a bit more serviceable in the d-zone he could be a 2nd pairing guy but at this point he is what he is and too often there is a fire drill in the defensive zone when he is on the ice.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
If he is the best defenseman on your second pairing you are not in a great position.

If he is the best defenseman on your third pairing you are in a pretty good position.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
At 5-on-5, Winnipeg uses him as an offensive #4 defenseman, giving him #4 minutes, #5 level competition, and starting him more in the offensive zone than the team does without him.

Over the past two years, his goals for percentage is 5.09% less than the Jets' goals for percentage without him, and his expected goals for percentage is 2.41% lower than the Jets without him. In both cases, they are below 50% with him on the ice, and above 50% without him on the ice. The same is true for every single metric - corsi for, fenwick for, high danger chances, etc. Jets win the battle with Myers off the ice and they lose the battle with him off the ice.

It's worth noting that Dmitry Kulikov, by far his most common defense partner over that time frame, is bad. Myers does slightly better without Kulikov, but Kulikov also does slightly better without Myers, and the difference in all cases is not huge. Even when excluding Kulikov in both cases - comparing Myers without Kulikov to his team without Kulikov - the team still does better without him on the ice. His most common forward linemates - Bryan Little and Patrik Laine - are also not good. He does much better away from Bryan Little in particular, but Little also does better without him.

His 5-on-5 production is also nothing special, both in terms of scoring rates and aggregate production. It's solid - good enough for a top-pairing guy if he were good at everything else. But he's not, so it doesn't make up for it.

I'm sure that he would do better with a superior defense partner, but every defenseman in the league would do better with a better defense partner. Myers' 5-on-5 performance, even after accounting for the deficiencies of his defense partner, is just not good. I don't think you'll ever get truly good results out of him unless you use him in a #5 or #6 role.

On the power play, he is pretty good. His power play scoring rates over the past few years are elite and his shot impacts on the power play are solid. The Jets do score goals and generate expected goals more frequently than they do without him, but that is because of who he plays with. He plays almost all of his PP minutes without Schiefele and Wheeler and they both do much better in the minuscule sample size that they do play with him. A new team that acquires him could probably stand to use him on the first PP unit, but I don't think he could be a top-unit PPQB. More of a complementary player in that role. However, I haven't seen quite enough of him on the PP to make that distinction.

Both of the wins above replacement models I've looked at rank him as a below replacement level player.

He's a #5 defenseman. He generates enough offense to drive a third pairing, but he is poor defensively and his defensive shortcomings will out-weigh his offensive strengths if he is in the top-4.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Myers is the definition of a #4 dman. He's not someone you want to be one of your horses, but also a much better defenseman than your average bottom pairing plug.

Sort of similar like what Kempny was for the Caps when they acquired him. They had their 1-3D in Carlson, Orlov and Niskanen whom all played 24-25 mins in the playoffs and then Kempny was close to 18 mins. This regular season he played 19. I think that's where you ideally want to see Myers as well, and just like Kempny if you play a bottom pairing guy there instead the difference is noticeable (referring to Kempny injury).

Of course, Kempny makes 2.5M. The way contracts are shaping up now in the NHL you can't afford to pay your #4 guy 5-6M bucks.

So in the end he's either a) going to a team that thinks he's better than he is and ends up playing a bit too much b) ends up making more money than what his role ultimately shapes up to be at some point during the contract

Or at least it's very likely. The fact that Myers is one of the better dmen out there in FA just tells you how tough it is for non-playoff teams to sign good dmen. So it's no wonder if there's interest. Like if Vancouver is interested, he'd instantly become their 3rd best veteran defenseman and considering the injuries Tanev/Edler have had, Myers' ability to play high up in the lineup a pinch would be very useful.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I think he brings enough offense to be a number 4 on a good team.
Think, if you have three Dmen better than him, you're probably doing okay. Pair him with a Dman who plays a safe home game and you're good.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well he was Jets' #3 RHD so probably a solid #5.

For Jets he was their #4 and Jets D was nowhere near the top of NHL. People saying #3... Strange.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Myers is the definition of a #4 dman. He's not someone you want to be one of your horses, but also a much better defenseman than your average bottom pairing plug.

Sort of similar like what Kempny was for the Caps when they acquired him. They had their 1-3D in Carlson, Orlov and Niskanen whom all played 24-25 mins in the playoffs and then Kempny was close to 18 mins. This regular season he played 19. I think that's where you ideally want to see Myers as well, and just like Kempny if you play a bottom pairing guy there instead the difference is noticeable (referring to Kempny injury).

Of course, Kempny makes 2.5M. The way contracts are shaping up now in the NHL you can't afford to pay your #4 guy 5-6M bucks.

So in the end he's either a) going to a team that thinks he's better than he is and ends up playing a bit too much b) ends up making more money than what his role ultimately shapes up to be at some point during the contract

Or at least it's very likely. The fact that Myers is one of the better dmen out there in FA just tells you how tough it is for non-playoff teams to sign good dmen. So it's no wonder if there's interest. Like if Vancouver is interested, he'd instantly become their 3rd best veteran defenseman and considering the injuries Tanev/Edler have had, Myers' ability to play high up in the lineup a pinch would be very useful.

Hed be our 4th best D. Stecher is better than him.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
As a Jets fan I'd say he's a really good #4.

So......like a 3.5 ;;;;;

But yeah,

I think the truth is somewhere in between.

Ray Ferraro thinks the guy is a #4 while Dreger thinks he’s a #3.

I think he’s a 3, but he needs to play with a solid guy that can cover his defensive gaffes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad