What is toughness?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Toughness is seeing your best player get injured, then sending out Eric Godard to fight Colton Orr.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

Toughness is seeing your best player get injured, then sending out Eric Godard to fight Colton Orr.

And that's what's wrong with the NHL, of course - and I agree. It's utterly silly... but probably will never change.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Please delete this thread, mods.
Thanks.

Why? It's a good discussion. I agree. This team IS tough. It never folds. It keeps coming after you. It keeps attacking. That's toughness. I've never thought it should be measured by the number of fights or penalties or height or weight. It can come in various forms. Other teams will be tough and not have this team's characteristics. You'll know toughness when you see it.

Conor Sheary is tough. I mean, he may not put fear into opponent's hearts, but think anyone has enjoyed playing him over the past month?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Getting a love tap from Letang and acting like a sniper shot you?

All kidding aside, the Pens were purposefully built for speed, but this is one of the tougher Pens' teams in memory.

You cannot goad them into stupid retaliatory penalties. They just pile on the scoring and go about their business.

That is toughness.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
Why? It's a good discussion. I agree. This team IS tough. It never folds. It keeps coming after you. It keeps attacking. That's toughness. I've never thought it should be measured by the number of fights or penalties or height or weight. It can come in various forms. Other teams will be tough and not have this team's characteristics. You'll know toughness when you see it.

Conor Sheary is tough. I mean, he may not put fear into opponent's hearts, but then anyone has enjoyed playing him over the past month?

That's what I was going for, I didn't want to incite the "Pens must be 6'4" 230" crowd.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Not folding at the first hint of trouble. This team can take a mental and physical beating without it turning into a disaster where you know the game is over.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That's what I was going for, I didn't want to incite the "Pens must be 6'4" 230" crowd.

Hey if Pens could be 6'4 230 and play this way i would be fine with it. :yo: Not only out work you, out skate you, but out hit you and not get into the pushing and shoving because we are letting them get under our skin.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
The toughness of this current Pens team (mentally and physically) is among the best I've ever seen for this franchise.

How does this team compare to other Pens teams with that in mind?

B6YbKvAIUAADHHi.jpg_large.0.0.jpg

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm pretty sure toughness is dressing someone like Tom Sestito to ensure opposing players don't take runs at your contributing players. Like, say, Nick Bonino.

Errr... wait...

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Toughness is as much a part of this team's identity as speed. It ticks me off when commentators say this is a speed team. They have fast guys, but more than that (and just as important) they just don't stop skating, and don't stop coming.

Hornqvist, Hagelin, Kuhn, Cullen, Rust, Sheary, OS, etc are hard to play against because they just don't stop.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Toughness if having enough players on the team willing to mix it up with enough of the other players teams that would potentially detour shenanigans. Hit and miss on if it does.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
PH playing in his 82nd game of the season tomorrow, playing his game, is pretty tough.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think this team is tough. We'll see just how tough very soon. I like this team because they don't get pushed around. They aren't running around like idiots and landing huge hits, but they can take it when a team starts playing heavy on them.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I like the mantra of Sully's "creating a competitive advantage" and then imposing that on your opponents. Thats what makes a team tough. Not only to play against but the roster gains a little more toughness and swagger to it when you establish it.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Toughness is cooking a slab of beef to an internal temperature of 160 degrees Fahrenheit.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Getting a love tap from Letang and acting like a sniper shot you?

All kidding aside, the Pens were purposefully built for speed, but this is one of the tougher Pens' teams in memory.

You cannot goad them into stupid retaliatory penalties. They just pile on the scoring and go about their business.

That is toughness.

Knowing full well you will be ridiculed for doing it in a nothing game for your team, in an attempt to get a PP so you can get a chance to score a goal while everyone will know after seeing a replay...and still doing it anyway...that is tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad