What is the story on Schremp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
LA picks at #11 and a lot of people have been saying they should take Montoya or Schwarz. Both are goaltenders and as most of you know, LA has crappy goaltenders. The last time they drafted a goalie in the first round was Jamie Storr. He was a big disappointment.

Since trading Aulin for that stiff Carter and Allison gone, the kings are thin at the center position.

From what I see, he is a monster in size, but what about his skill and character. Is he a future #1 center?

Dave

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dave in LA said:
LA picks at #11 and a lot of people have been saying they should take Montoya or Schwarz. Both are goaltenders and as most of you know, LA has crappy goaltenders. The last time they drafted a goalie in the first round was Jamie Storr. He was a big disappointment.

Since trading Aulin for that stiff Carter and Allison gone, the kings are thin at the center position.

From what I see, he is a monster in size, but what about his skill and character. Is he a future #1 center?

Dave

Schremp's no monster. He projects at about 6'1'' 200 lbs. Skillwise, he's off the charts, character wise, depends on who you ask. Scouting services like Redline Report (Kyle Woodlief) wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole, claim he's a cancer and all that. Other services question his request from a trade from Mississauga to London, and others wonder why he sat in game seven of the OHL playoffs and was left off the U.S. WJC team. Still others could care less and think he's one of the top five players in this draft. It's all going to boil down to whether a team will overlook his "character flaws" and draft him based on what he can bring to the table offensively. I say he's a top ten pick, but than again I said Patrick O'Sullivan was a for sure 1st rounder, and he didn't get picked until the end of the 2nd round, so who knows?

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
He has all the tools to be an offensive superstar in the NHL. Schremp basically put up the same numbers in his second year while playing for the London Knights. The thing to remember though is that he experienced a decrease in minutes played, and PP time. So in reality his stats improved. Look for him to have another strong year in the OHL next year, with probably 1-2 seasons in the OHL before he becomes a full-time NHL player. A good pickup, but if Montoya is still available, then you take him, as the Kings need the goaltending.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
London Knights said:
He has all the tools to be an offensive superstar in the NHL. Schremp basically put up the same numbers in his second year while playing for the London Knights. The thing to remember though is that he experienced a decrease in minutes played, and PP time. So in reality his stats improved. Look for him to have another strong year in the OHL next year, with probably 1-2 seasons in the OHL before he becomes a full-time NHL player. A good pickup, but if Montoya is still available, then you take him, as the Kings need the goaltending.

Personally, if Schremp was available when the Kings pick I would be all over him and hope a guy like Dubnyk or Schneider is available a little later on.

Dave in LA

Chick Magnet
Jul 16, 2002
Visit site
He did play with Dustin Brown. Brown is going to be a monster power forward in a couple of years. Schremp and Brown had great chemistry together.

IMO Brown was mishandled and should have played in the OHL last year. Instead he had an ankle which ailed him throughout the season.

I blame mgmt for not telling us the truth regarding Allison and Deader's condition. It was a PR move which backfired.

Would a Frolov/Schremp/Brown line be lethal in a couple of years?

Dave

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Dave in LA said:
He did play with Dustin Brown. Brown is going to be a monster power forward in a couple of years. Schremp and Brown had great chemistry together.

IMO Brown was mishandled and should have played in the OHL last year. Instead he had an ankle which ailed him throughout the season.

I blame mgmt for not telling us the truth regarding Allison and Deader's condition. It was a PR move which backfired.

Would a Frolov/Schremp/Brown line be lethal in a couple of years?

Dave

That line would make me piss my pants if I was the opposition. :eek:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
A good place to hear Schremp's side of the story is here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=80514

As for the OHL playoffs, there is some question that Schremp and the head coach had a philosophical difference in the team's approach in the playoffs. The other part of the issue when you talk to people that are very familiar with the Knights is that there is some question to whether or not there was nepotism on the team that had Dale Hunter as head coach and Logan and Dylan Hunter on the team.

A very interesting situation indeed. As I am not an insider, I don't propose to know exactly what went on, but with all the information I have gathered, I would personally draft Schremp top 10.

thestonedkoala

Try to acquire a second rounder (from New York or Chicago) if you can and still pick up a solid goaltender. I agree that LA shouldn't just limit themselves to a goaltender.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
George Bachul said:
A good place to hear Schremp's side of the story is here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=80514

As for the OHL playoffs, there is some question that Schremp and the head coach had a philosophical difference in the team's approach in the playoffs. The other part of the issue when you talk to people that are very familiar with the Knights is that there is some question to whether or not there was nepotism on the team that had Dale Hunter as head coach and Logan and Dylan Hunter on the team.

A very interesting situation indeed. As I am not an insider, I don't propose to know exactly what went on, but with all the information I have gathered, I would personally draft Schremp top 10.

Hunter won coach of the year, didn't he?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
EroCaps said:
Hunter won coach of the year, didn't he?
The suggestion of nepotism was only a playoff circumstance, not related to the regular season. And I am not saying I agree or disagree with the statement, and Hunter's regular season record stands on its own. As far as Robbie Schremp and the playoff benching goes, I provided two explanations that I was aware of, and the posters can determine whether or not each is a credible explanation or the combination of both.

If I was going to surmise the most logical explanation, a combination of circumstance would be the most probable.(From what I have heard.)

1. Schremp and Hunter had a public disagreement during the Guelph series.(Public meaning in front of the team.)
2. Hunter starts limiting the amount of ice Robbie gets for two reasons.(Buying into the system and insubordination.)
3. Hunter's two kids Dylan and Logan both are subordinate and play the system but don't have the same talent level that Robbie does. They start getting more ice time.
4. They lose and fans start blaming Hunter for not playing one of his best players. They start screaming and yelling that he was favouring his kids.

Hunter went all Tortorella on Schremp's Lecavalier butt. :joker:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One thing that's being exaggerated about Schremp is his supposedly poor playoff performance this year. He had 12 points in 14 games, which under the circumstances I consider pretty good. Hunter took an Iron Mike approach with Schremp, and that's not always such a bad thing....if it's for the right reason.

Last edited:

buddy

Jun 9, 2004
George Bachul said:

Interesting how every problem he had was someone elses fault. The part about his school was very funny. He is going to be a coach killer and his attitude problems and me first attitude may end up out weighing his skills in the eyes of some teams.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
buddy said:
Interesting how every problem he had was someone elses fault. The part about his school was very funny. He is going to be a coach killer and his attitude problems and me first attitude may end up out weighing his skills in the eyes of some teams.

How is he a coach killer? Has he cost anyone their job? Has anyone been that dissatisifed with him that they have thrown their hands in the air and been institutionalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad