OT: What Is the Highest Level of Hockey You've Played?

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
My highest level is College - inter murals and club for one season. My answer would have to change to HS if College means NCAA D1 or D3.
This is an important distinction and a great point WRT this poll question. That said, I played two years in college and have since been associated with club and Div. 1 teams and some of those club teams could've competed with and beaten a few of those Div. 1 teams. And several players I've run across on club teams could easily have made scholarship at higher levels, with myriad reasons they didn't.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
This is an important distinction and a great point WRT this poll question. That said, I played two years in college and have since been associated with club and Div. 1 teams and some of those club teams could've competed with and beaten a few of those Div. 1 teams. And several players I've run across on club teams could easily have made scholarship at higher levels, with myriad reasons they didn't.

Yes, in the past 20 years, the quality and participation in the ACHA has dramatically increased.

Another distinction to add would be that back in the 1970's, even the very early 80's, players still went to college for the education versus playing in the NHL.. If you wanted to play hockey professionally, you went the Canadian Major Jr route.

Very few of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team had long NHL careers. Morrow and Broten mainly come to mind. The club and ACHA structure wasn't very widespread then so who knows who was missed talent wise?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Tier 2 SB teams pretty much squirt to midget though when they added the extra midget year I actually didn't play it to party instead. In fact my last year of Midget AA for Bud Bakewell I would skip weekend games at the usual Jamestown, Fredonia type games because no way was I missing going out as a high school senior to waste Friday and Saturday nights playing a game that wasn't even fun for me anymore.

Tonawanda Lightning, North Buffalo THUNDERCATS (**** outta here with that merger, I played when it was north Buffalo AND BISONS at Nichols) then Bud Bakewell.

As a Jamestown kid, I can see why you wouldn't want to come down to take a beating

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Yes, in the past 20 years, the quality and participation in the ACHA has dramatically increased.

Another distinction to add would be that back in the 1970's, even the very early 80's, players still went to college for the education versus playing in the NHL.. If you wanted to play hockey professionally, you went the Canadian Major Jr route.

Very few of the 1980 US Olympic hockey team had long NHL careers. Morrow and Broten mainly come to mind. The club and ACHA structure wasn't very widespread then so who knows who was missed talent wise?

I think some scrub named Mike Ramsey had a cup of coffee in the NHL or something...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As a Jamestown kid, I can see why you wouldn't want to come down to take a beating

Very nice rink huge clean locker rooms as I recall. Yes very good teams and they seemed to be filled with 15 giants on the roster. Not much fun in the area after games though.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Smacks forehead ..... duh...... asks self: how could you forget about Ramsey? On a frickin Sabres forum no less.....

WoW! All former credibility instantly disappears! :amazed: :laugh:

Trivia:
Mike Ramsey was the only American born player drafted in the first round of that 1980 Entry Draft.

Ken Morrow became the first player to win the Olympic Gold medal and Stanley Cup in the same year. He's also the only amateur Olympian to have done it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad