What is the first ever trade in NHL history?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Not counting the dispersal of the Montreal Wanderers in 1917-18 after they folded mid-season, the first trade seams to be winger Rusty Crawford going from Ottawa to Toronto for goaltender Sammy Hebert. It seems to be a draw as far as a "winner" since neither did much afterwards.

Reactions: SniperHF

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
According to a skim of the NHL Trade Tracker website, I'll nominate ... On November 28, 1918, the Montreal Canadiens traded centreman Tommy Smith to the Ottawa Senators for cash. The "winner" in that transaction was clearly Montreal, considering the Canadian economy nearing the end of The Great War.

As for the first player-for-player trade, I'll suggest ... December 14, 1919, the Quebec Bulldogs traded forward/defenceman Goldie Prodgers to the Canadiens for defenceman Ed Carpenter. Best I can tell, George "Goldie" Prodgers (or "Prodger" according to other on-line sources) wasn't actually on the Montreal roster until 1925-26, and his record shows all zeroes for that year. At least Carpenter contributed 11 points in 24 games for Quebec in 2019-20. So I reckon the Bulldogs "won" in that trade.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Player records this early in the life of the NHL should be considered anecdotal, based on a few cross-references I made between NHL Trade Tracker & the Hockey Reference website. Even the player profiles linked in Trade Tracker (pulled from the hockeyDB database) show inconsistencies within their trade listings.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... the first trade seams to be winger Rusty Crawford going from Ottawa to Toronto for goaltender Sammy Hebert. It seems to be a draw as far as a "winner" since neither did much afterwards.
Good catch, a 1917-18 season trade of negligible consequence to either team's fortunes. But to the point of my "IMPORTANT NOTE" above, the NHL Trade Tracker website lists a swap of Crawford from Ottawa to Toronto on December 14th of that same season for "future considerations (loan of Harry Cameron)." So NHL history - as with all other aspects of history - is a matter of opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad