What is the fair market value of captain Andrew Ladd?

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
After a fairly uneventful start to the free agent period for the Winnipeg Jets (the re-signing of Drew Stafford and Alexander Burmistrov notwithstanding), the focus of Jets fans now shifts to the prospective signings of Andrew Ladd and, to a lesser extent, Dustin Byfuglien (the subject of our next article).

Ladd signed a five-year, $22 million contract just prior to the Winnipeg Jets returning to the ice in Winnipeg in 2011. The forward from Maple Ridge, B.C. is entering the final year of that contract, which carries an annual cap hit of $4.4 million.

Ladd-Crosby-wm-300x200.jpg

Ladd is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2016, which means he can sign with any NHL team without the Jets receiving any compensation.

Ladd, who turns 30 years old in December, is soon to embark upon his 11th NHL season. A two-time Stanley Cup champion with rings earned with Carolina (2006) and Chicago (2010), Ladd has posted 420 points in 691 games over the course of his 691 game career.

To read full article click here.

As always comments welcome.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is a very well written article!!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think the (3) three comparable s used in the article were incorrect for gauging Ladds value. Parisse Spezza and Carter were all more offensive players than Ladd throughout their careers.

2 better comparable contracts would be Dubinski and Foligno from Columbus. Dubindki and Foligno are both leaders in their dressing rooms (Captain and Ast Capt) and scored at similar if not better rates than Ladd. They both signed within the last year and a half under similar circumstances to Ladd. They both signed for 6 year deals at 5,5 and 5.8 mill AAV cap hit.

Wheeler is at 5.7 mill AAV and Ladd has been a bargain this last year and next year at 4.2 Mill. I get the Loyalty and rewards angle.

Everything said and done I would like to see Ladd signed at 6 yrs at 6 mill. Which is actually 7 years as he has one remaining at 4.2 mill. This would be a fair contract as a player like Ladd at 34 will not be the same as a Ladd at 27-28. I fear a 7 or 8 year contract at a higher Cap amount would send us down the road of a LA kings Captain Brown. ( which should be a comparable of what not to do with Ladd).

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
$7M for 4 years sounds fair to me.

I would get behind a higher cap hit of 7 Mill in exchange for a lower term.

Term is going to be the Killer in the new NHL..... unless were talking about a Trouba or Hamilton coming off their ELC....... In that case I am all for a 7 year deal locking them up in their prime 22-29 years.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I'd be comfortable with a longer term if the AAV made sense. He's making 4.4 right now, right? As he gets older, his impact will be less and he'll likely be passed on the depth chart. The AAV needs to reflect both that and any possible fluctuations to the salary cap.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'd be comfortable with a longer term if the AAV made sense. He's making 4.4 right now, right? As he gets older, his impact will be less and he'll likely be passed on the depth chart. The AAV needs to reflect both that and any possible fluctuations to the salary cap.

Problem is we just singed Stafford to a 2-year $8.7 million contract. That's $350,000 more than he made in his prime. Stafford turns 30 in late October.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
$7 million a year, or $7,000,000 for a four year contract?

I think Ladd deserves a four year $18 million contract.

Yeah, not even close. He walks for that. In fact he is so insulted he won't even negotiate from there, straight to UFA.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
5 year $23 million

Callahan got 6x5.8. He is not as good as Ladd but they are close. I think that is the best comparable available. Ladd will be a little older than Callahan was when he got that deal so maybe he takes 5 years instead of 6. I think the 6mil/yr will be pretty firm. You are suggesting that he sign now for less than Little got 2 years ago.

dare2believe

Apr 25, 2014
I'd be ok with Ladd getting one of. ..
3/20M 4/26M or 5/30M.
And while we are at it, let's give Buff
3/24M 4/30M or 5/35M.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Not a Ladd fan, AT ALL!! But it's not about me....I think he'll get 38 million over 6 years (6.333 AAV). Oh, and a full NTC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad