What is the equivalent to "The Drive" or "The Catch" in the NHL?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Is there anything? Is there a goal that fans immediately know what you are talking about when you say "The Goal"? Or how about "The Save"? For quite some time the 1975 New Year's Eve game between the Habs and the Red Arm was considered the greatest game ever, a 3-3 tie. But I wouldn't call that "The Game", and I think others have surpassed it.

In baseball "The Catch" is of course Willie Mays' catch in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series at the Polo Grounds with that cavernous centre field. In the NFL Joe Montana to Dwight Clark is "The Catch" from the 1981 NFC Championship game. "The Drive" is John Elway against the Browns in the 1986 AFC championship game. You could argue Joe Montana's drive in the Super Bowl vs. the Bengals is the best and most perfected drive in NFL history, but there is no doubt it is Elway's famous drive with the deserving nickname.

Does hockey have any of this? Or what comes the closest to it? Even "The Hit", what would it be? I am going to say if I had to pick "The Save" is Kirk McLean's save off of Robert Reichel in double overtime of Game 7 in 1994. The pad stack and the robbery of Reichel. But that is far from a consensus. You would think Fleury's save in the final second of the 2009 Cup final would have gotten some sort of nickname, but it never has.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Lafleur moment was the first to come in mind, but I did not konw what would be the short The for it.

Orr Flying Goal ? The jump ?

There is the Golden Goal and the miracle for intl hockey.

But for all the above it is not an actual equivalent of a simple common verb, what make it so special is a common verb used all the time being taken over, like a star so big you can say only the first name (Celine, Elvis, etc...) specially if the first name is common, like The Pass, The shot, The fight, The hit would be.

If we say the hit, maybe it is Larry Robinson most think of.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Is there anything? Is there a goal that fans immediately know what you are talking about when you say "The Goal"? Or how about "The Save"? For quite some time the 1975 New Year's Eve game between the Habs and the Red Arm was considered the greatest game ever, a 3-3 tie. But I wouldn't call that "The Game", and I think others have surpassed it.

In baseball "The Catch" is of course Willie Mays' catch in Game 1 of the 1954 World Series at the Polo Grounds with that cavernous centre field. In the NFL Joe Montana to Dwight Clark is "The Catch" from the 1981 NFC Championship game. "The Drive" is John Elway against the Browns in the 1986 AFC championship game. You could argue Joe Montana's drive in the Super Bowl vs. the Bengals is the best and most perfected drive in NFL history, but there is no doubt it is Elway's famous drive with the deserving nickname.

Does hockey have any of this? Or what comes the closest to it? Even "The Hit", what would it be? I am going to say if I had to pick "The Save" is Kirk McLean's save off of Robert Reichel in double overtime of Game 7 in 1994. The pad stack and the robbery of Reichel. But that is far from a consensus. You would think Fleury's save in the final second of the 2009 Cup final would have gotten some sort of nickname, but it never has.

"The hit" was for a while Stevens hit on Lindros. But it has also been Kronwall on Havlat, Robinson on Dornhofer, Steven on Kozlov.

We do have the mother of all elbows.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Crosby's OT goal to clinch the gold in 2010 felt inevitable and painful to American fans who knew the game more than a passing amount. I'd say that was akin to The Drive and how Cleveland fans must have felt or The Catch for Cowboys fans but that's not strictly NHL. The dread associated with watching a player who everyone knew would shine in big moments play for the other team with the game on the line and those stakes is hard to replicate.

Gretzky's PP winner in Game 6 for the Kings over the Leafs after that fiasco felt sort of inevitable, too. I cringe just watching that game knowing the conclusion.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Beljavskij

Jan 10, 2022
Fleurys save on Lidström in the last second of the '09 finals might be the closest thing to "The Save" there is.

I remember thinking it was gonna be a goal and was just shocked that he actually was able to save it.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
The Golden Goal in 2010 was already mentioned. That's probably the biggest one of my generation.

The rest to most probably goes with what team you cheer for.

The save for me is when Cujo robbed Joe Nieuwendyk in game 7, in overtime in '97

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
What about Gretzky's pinpoint big slapper over Vernon's shoulder in 1988. To me that's kind of an iconic NHL moment...just not quite sure where it fits in the pantheon

Also, Lemieux's goal vs the North Stars. To me that's "The Goal"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad