NFL: What is the biggest choke for a missed kick ever?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gary Anderson. The Vikings were 15-1 in 1998, to have their season end that way was really bad.

It didn't end that way in fact it seems history has been rewritten

When Anderson missed his FG it was still a 7 pt lead for Vikes with just over 2 min left

The Falcons drove 71 yds on sorry ass Vikes D and tied game. Included in that drive was a horrendous dropped INT by Griffith that would have won game. The Vikes got ball back and took a knee on 3rd down to go to OT

Then in OT the Vikes got ball and did nothing with it. The Vikes D then stopped Falcons and the vaunted Vikes O once again got ball and did jack shit with it

Falcons hit FG after that

So this bashing of Anderson and his miss is asinine IMO and he is used as excuse for the failure of that team defense and offense when it mattered most

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It wasn't Anderson's miss more than it was the fact it was the only kick he missed the entire season

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It didn't end that way in fact it seems history has been rewritten

When Anderson missed his FG it was still a 7 pt lead for Vikes with just over 2 min left

The Falcons drove 71 yds on sorry ass Vikes D and tied game. Included in that drive was a horrendous dropped INT by Griffith that would have won game. The Vikes got ball back and took a knee on 3rd down to go to OT

Then in OT the Vikes got ball and did nothing with it. The Vikes D then stopped Falcons and the vaunted Vikes O once again got ball and did jack **** with it

Falcons hit FG after that

So this bashing of Anderson and his miss is asinine IMO and he is used as excuse for the failure of that team defense and offense when it mattered most
As a Vikings fan I think this kick gets super overblown.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
John Carney. The most memorable for me anyways. What an amazing play it was to get the TD scored by Canadian Jerome Pathon! And then...

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The Vikings had 2 times outs and the clock as well to AT LEAST make it towards Falcons territory.
Horrible, horrible clock management there.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
really?
he makes that kick there's a decent chance Minny wins the SB that year...
I think too much blame gets placed on him specifically. 2+ minutes left, still up by 7. If you hear people talk about it you'd think the Vikings were down by 1 point with no time left on the clock. Vikings gave up the TD to tie it and still got it back in OT, only to punt it away. Every phase of the team failed, not just Anderson, but the rhetoric is that the perfect kicker single-handedly blew the game.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Doesn't really hold a candle to Norwood or Blair in terms of importance, but I always get a kick (lol) out of the way this game ended.

A low-scoring regular season game pushed to OT, and BOTH teams miss the game-winning field goal from close range?

Carroll's crestfallen look once he realized the Seahawks couldn't convert that easy kick either after being so pumped before, just too funny. :laugh:

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Lee Evans had a TD in his hands like 2 plays before that Cundiff miss too but Sterling Moore stripped it.

It was a wild 30 second stretch to watch.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I remember when Jose Cortez missed a 20-21 yarder against the Raiders that would have won the game for the 49ers. Think they won in ot, but I never saw anything like it. He didn't just miss it, he shanked it big time.

member 157595

I know this isn't the NFL but it's still my favorite missed kick ever...

Still one of the most dramatic finishes to any sports game I've ever seen.

I remember when Jose Cortez missed a 20-21 yarder against the Raiders that would have won the game for the 49ers. Think they won in ot, but I never saw anything like it. He didn't just miss it, he shanked it big time.

For some reason I read "Jose Cortez" as "Link Gaetz" and got very confused.

Link Gaetz would have made the perfect Raider though.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I remember that. I think he missed 3 that game.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
@Blackhawkswincup thanks for the clarification. In that case I would suggest Scott Norwood instead. Imagine if he makes that kick, Buffalo has a Super Bowl win instead of 4 straight Super Bowl losses.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i remember watching this one live. so unlike janikowski (in his prime) to miss from that short range

had the raiders won this game they would've finished with a winning record that season

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
2004 Divisional playoffs

15-1 Steelers in Big Ben's rookie season vs the 10-6 Jets

Doug Brien missed from 47 hitting the crossbar with 2:02 left in the 4th

Next Play Ben is picked and its returned to the Pit 37

Jets run a few plays to get it to the 24 with :04 left on the clock

Brien misses again this time from 43 wide right the game goes to OT where the Steelers kick a FG to win

The following week Big Ben would get his first of many torchings and the hands of Brady and Belichick

Brien would play a few games with the Bears the next season and be out of the league

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
In 2005, the Giants were in Seattle and Feeley missed 3 field goals, one at the end of regulation and two in overtime and the Giants. There must be a gif out there of Shockey celebrating prematurely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad