Speculation: What is the Best System to Develop our Prospects Going Forward?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
So – as we’re about to trade everyone and end up with all 30 1st round picks, completely revamping our prospect pool on June 26th & 27th :sarcasm: (realistically we should have 4 – 6 top 90 picks if things go well) …. Our development system is now going to be more important than ever. This is a prospect site, and development has thus been heavily debated in thread after thread, but maybe it’s time for its own thread.

Historically, the Leafs have not done a great job with development – I think can all agree there. In recent years, however, the team has shown a lot more patience, leaving guys like Brown & Nylander with the Marlies even though they could probably play better than most of the guys on the current roster. There is even talk now that both players will start with the Marlies next year regardless how well they play in camp – which is where the debate starts.

Everyone quotes the Detroit model – which is draft for skill, let your prospects spend years in the farm system to mature and round out their game, so that when they finally EARN a spot on the roster they are both ready to handle it, and ready to contribute at a higher level. Detroit takes patience with prospects to a whole new level – and personally I think the version of this model that Steve Yzerman has implemented with Tampa may be just as successful – without taking so damn long! He still makes his prospects spend time in the system, just perhaps not as long. Where Detroit will take 5 – 6 years with a prospect, Tampa will take 2 – 4 years.

There is also the school of thought on these boards that “let the kids play through their mistakes and develop with the big club†– one that I personally don’t buy into. The challenge with this method is firstly it assumes that these prospects are not people, just impersonal assets like stocks. These kids have maturity issues, confidence issues, and adjustment to having lots of money and taking care of themselves for the first time in their life. Every 18 – 20 year old in the world thinks he knows everything, but as those of us old enough to look back honestly can attest to – We didn’t know jack at that age. I know I was an idiot – and if I suddenly had $1million to play with at that age, there would have been issues!

The other factor is that these kids will make mistakes. Nylander needs more size, needs to work on his game without the puck. I know that if I had millions of people discussing, reviewing, and criticising my every decision at work on a daily basis – it would get to my confidence. It may work to bring an 18 year old into the fold in a place like Carolina where there’s as much attention as the Marlies get here – but the Leafs are whole different ball game! This is where we can completely fill a thread on a 7th round draft pick, or debate the merits of a “Free Wallet†to death!

In the Sun there’s an article where Dubas said they want to start using the Solar Bears as an “introduction to Pro Hockey†for first year players. Have a kid excel there, and when he does, he graduates to the Marlies – and when he’s excelled there, he can finally have a shot with the Leafs. That may not apply to a Nylander or Strome / Marner who will already be too good for the ECHL, but I think it’s a perfect system to slowly nurture talents like Finn, Biggs, and maybe a Verhage.

Which brings us to the crux of the debate – Patience vs. Let the Kids Play.

Personally, I’ve seen prospect after prospect benefit from patience – letting a kid develop the physical and mental maturity required to succeed in the NHL before throwing him in. Putting a kid who is not mentally or physically ready on the main stage is NOT putting them in a position to succeed – it’s a situation where only the remarkable will come out OK, and most will fail / falter. Many a prospect who has been rushed in has failed to reach their potential (except in some markets where there is little to no attention). Schenn and Bogo from 2008 have both faltered and stalled along their development, not really hitting their potential – while Petriangelo (sp?) has excelled after a couple of year of seasoning.

Acknowledging that high-end skilled players would not require as long as mid-round guys, it’s still obviously beneficial to take your time with all prospects.
I have never, in all my years of watching hockey, seen a prospect ruined or hindered by taking too long to develop them. It seems obvious to me – you can definitely ruin a prospect by rushing them, and you can’t ruin them by taking too long – thus err on the side of caution and have a patient development system to maximize your success.

To all those who say that patience is overrated, or my favorite – that you can “over-cook†a prospect and ruin them by leaving them too long in the development system – my question is this - please, please, please – name me one (1) – just one prospect who has ever been ruined by spending too long developing?

What do you think the right approach to development is?

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Slow, patient approach. When they're NHL ready, they play in the NHL. No sooner, no later.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
i think this is a dumb poll. every player is a different case, if they need to mature more they need to mature, for example, kadri could have played right away, but he went back down and it has helped him, rielly went back down and it help him.

Mcdavid will play with the big team, strome might make the big club (he will if its edmonton) but imo should get another year in junior to improve his skating. EVery player is different, cant just have "ohh your picked top 5 heres a roster spot"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There are a lot of different kinds of players that require different timelines. Detroit basically drafts highly skilled runts and pray for growth spurts, which explains their longer incubating periods, but it wouldn't have made any sense to have sent Morgan Rielly to Orlando for a year and have him apprentice in the minors for another two when he's capable of being a top four defenseman at 21 and likely headed to stardom soon.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to throw an Andreas Johnson on the top line and expect production right now.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
There are a lot of different kinds of players that require different timelines. Detroit basically drafts highly skilled runts and pray for growth spurts, which explains their longer incubating periods, but it wouldn't have made any sense to have sent Morgan Rielly to Orlando for a year and have him apprentice in the minors for another two when he's capable of being a top four defenseman at 21 and likely headed to stardom soon.

On the other hand, it doesn't make sense to throw an Andreas Johnson on the top line and expect production right now.

I've been pretty critical of our development system, and I don't think I will change overnight in that regard. I am glad Brown is doing well, and some others, but in the example you just used, I always think of leivo. He is stagnating right now because they don't want to put him in anything but a scoring role, but then they sign guys who take that role from him every off season. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Best way to do it is evaluate each player individually and make a decision based on what management thinks would be best for their development. Cheesy hedging-my-bets answer but it's true.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You keep players down until they are developed enough to demand a place higher up, you make sure they get that spot only by beating out competition, and then you also make sure that the spot is insulated by depth and the player has support of context and linemates that can bring out the best of him while he develops. Even if a prospect looks really good and is ready for NHL, you don't bring him up to play on the second line with Trevor Smith and Joffrey Lupul. That's just asking to have all confidence beaten out of him.

Whether all of this takes 1 year or 5 depends on the prospect and circumstances, but it's all for the best of the prospect.

Durkin67

Great topic...

I am of the mind that each player matures when he is ready, regardless of draft position, regardless of role.

We can't say it's a 2-4 year process, or a 3-5 year process, because it comes down to quality of competition, both around the league, and internally.

It's about layers of depth, and creating a competitive environment where players push themselves and each other to become the best versions of themselves possible.

Historically, the Leafs have flipped the majority of their picks and prospects for established NHL talent; a move generally made to preserve the employment of those in management and behind the bench.

The few stragglers left never faced any challenge at the AHL level within the organisation, and were graduated prematurely due to lack of adequate pro talent.

If there was one thing about the Burke model that I liked, it was that the priority was on restocking the prospect pool by all means necessary, to create some desperation from within.

Even at the pro level, the young "stars" get thrown to the wolves. Sid had Mario as a mentor. Stammer had Marty St Louis. Dougie Hamilton has Chara, and so on and so on.

the Leafs haven't done a good enough job in creating mentors. Kessel was expected to be all-world, with no guidance or direction, not that he would have heeded it.

Ovie was becoming something of a joke, and had a reputation as something of a coach killer until Trotz straightened him out.

So, the answer is not a short one.
Patience is important, but no more than role modelling, layers of depth at every level, and incentive to push yourself to be better than the guy beside you on the bench. One top 6 centre prospect isn't enough. You need three William Nylanders. You need three goalies battling to be the next in line, and you need probably five wingers battling it out to get noticed, earn some special teams assignments, maybe a call up.

They've done a decent job with D depth, but no high-fliers in the system, just good rugged two guys and shutdown guys.

It's not just a matter of time. It's all of the above, and then some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It entirely depends on the individual player. If a player is 'ready', it makes little sense keeping them in a lower tier league.

That said, the leaf's have been pretty poor at prospect development, and have rushed a few, and so I don't mind a more cautious approach.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I voted for the patient approach, but as others have mentioned each prospect is an individual and needs to be treated as such. If someone is physically ready for the NHL when they're 20 years old, then let them earn a spot at 20. If it takes until they're 24, then it takes until they're 24.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Slow patient approach. If you draft some kid and he lights up juniors then see if he can replicate it within the AHL. If he is replicating it in the AHL then he is usually NHL ready. But if you have a 19 year old or 20 year old who is struggling to produce in the AHL chances are he is .....

A) Not Physically mature enough yet

B) Not used to the tempo

C) Just not good enough in general. (Skills)

Detroit model works and it is the one I hope we employ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad