What is the best save you've ever seen?

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Dudek vs Shevchenko at Istanbul. Used The Force and the stakes were sky high
The save on Xabi was pretty great but potting the rebound takes Dida out of the running lol. I guess Xabi's speed was too much for Milan to box him out lol.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Personally I'm asking for best. Which is why Martinez's doesn't really make the list. It was an important save but it was really just make yourself big and let the ball hit you.
I think it's difficult to separate the 2. Having the fortitude to make a great save when it matters most IS the epitome of a great save. Like a tree falling in the forest. If you make a save when it doesn't matter, does anyone really care?

Saying EMI was just making himself big was severely selling him short. Having the athletism, training and instincts to make that save at the death of a world cup is absolutely incredible.

And like Evilo said, the same can be said for Banks.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
At least the funnest for me. Had to use his head for the first part because he couldn't use his hands. :laugh: Only to stop Rivaldo of all people on the rebound.

Super underrated guy too.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it's difficult to separate the 2. Having the fortitude to make a great save when it matters most IS the epitome of a great save. Like a tree falling in the forest. If you make a save when it doesn't matter, does anyone really care?
I don't think it's difficult at all. We can do this with goals really easily. A 90+7 minute can still be a scrappy goal. For example, no one is saying Nunez's goal today is some brilliant goal. It's a good goal, well taken, that was dramatic, but that doesn't mean it's a Puskas nominee.
Saying EMI was just making himself big was severely selling him short. Having the athletism, training and instincts to make that save at the death of a world cup is absolutely incredible.
It didn't take much athleticism or training or really instincts. It's basic goalkeeping. On a one-on-one like that, you take space, make yourself big and hope it hits you. That's what he did. That's not a criticism, by the way, it just is what it is. The Sa save is much more brilliant from a goalkeeping standpoint.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I watched that save more than anyone probably and there's nothing normal about it. Keepers dont usually stand up that long nor is it normal to contort your body the way Emi did. It was a freak of nature save.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

And like Evilo said, the same can be said for Banks.
Nah Banks was an incredible reflex and jump, like Lloris. I'm not underating Martinez but that was much easier for him.

At least the funnest for me. Had to use his head for the first part because he couldn't use his hands. :laugh: Only to stop Rivaldo of all people on the rebound.

Super underrated guy too.

It was incredible

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Martinez one. I was rooting for France, and Kolo could've done better, but the save was massive.
I absolutely loathe Martinez as a sportsman for, well, his complete lack of sportsmanship, but he's a fine GK and the save was possibly the most "timely" save in WC history.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It probably is Banks. Shout for Fabien Barthez on Abel Xavier at Euro 2000

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The bias in be in me is thinking one of the many saves Borjan made late in WCQ games last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad