What is success to you?

Next season?

To me, I'd simply like to make the playoffs. And, for Mason to remain consistently solid.

But, almost more than that, I just hope that we do not trade nor spoil the development of our young blueline prospects. And do not take on any unwieldy contracts.

I apologize if this thread has been done before. Seems an obvious question.

Bottom line: This is a team that could benefit from simply maturing, and success to me, is the discipline to allow it to do just that.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Next season?

To me, I'd simply like to make the playoffs. And, for Mason to remain consistently solid.

But, almost more than that, I just hope that we do not trade nor spoil the development of our young blueline prospects. And do not take on any unwieldy contracts.

I apologize if this thread has been done before. Seems an obvious question.

Bottom line: This is a team that could benefit from simply maturing, and success to me, is the discipline to allow it to do just that.

A couple of season ending injuries to our top stars (nothing serious though) and a last place finish would be a huge success. What i can't stand is this mediocre middle of the pack crap where we end with a mid-round pick and a 1st round elimination.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
A Stanley Cup victory, coupled with a trade for a #1 pick from a team that was expecting to make the playoffs, fails, and shockingly wins the lottery, providing us McDavid in the process. :D

More realistically, B. Schenn and Couturier begin to unlock their offensive potential, Simmonds blossoms at even strength, Mason continues to be a wall, Ghost and Hagg get their first cups of coffee and impress, and G, Jake, and MacDonald all make the All-Star team (that last being the most pie-in-the-sky element of all this.) The team makes the Eastern Conference Finals, at least, and Hexy clears enough cap space through the season that we are able to address the defense when Kimmo retires.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
A couple of season ending injuries to our top stars (nothing serious though) and a last place finish would be a huge success. What i can't stand is this mediocre middle of the pack crap where we end with a mid-round pick and a 1st round elimination.

Teams don't go from really bad to really good like that. It takes a couple of trips to the playoffs and some early eliminations before you start to learn how to win and/or figure what needs to address to put the team over the top.

I'll be happy with the continued progression of our young guys (both on the roster and in the system). Another MVP-like performance out of Giroux could will this team to a divisional playoff spot. If not they could find themselves battling for a wildcard spot. I'd also like to see some spots opened up on the defense. One of Grossmann or Schenn should be moved in an effort to open up room for Ghost, Hagg or Alt as a full time player next year.

And finally, I want to see another good/great performance out of Mason. Was last year just a fluke, or is he somebody that can lead this team to a cup in the coming seasons?

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I'd like the team to make it to the second round of playoffs.

I'd also like to see B Schenn develop into his role and some of our prospects (most notably Ghost) finding a fixed spot in our starting roster.

But if all else fails, I just want to beat the Pens every chance we get.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Our young players continue to develop into what we all hope them to be, this includes both Schenns...more-so Luke... if he were to develop into a solid #1 D man... oh god...

That and a deep playoff run.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
Just making it was good enough last year. I'm completely fine with just making it a year after missing out on the PO.

But they need to make progress. They need to at least win a around. If they win more than that, I'd be thrilled, but 1 is a good start.

Kuato

Aug 2, 2010
PA
every season is a failure unless you win the Cup IMO

You cannot win a championship every season. It's impossible standard. So to say every season you don't win one is a failure is absurd.

sg12lw

Aug 22, 2008
You cannot win a championship every season. It's impossible standard. So to say every season you don't win one is a failure is absurd.

The flyers goal at the start of every season is to win the cup.

If they dont win the cup, then they fail to achieve their goal.

Not absurd, just basic logic. you set a goal and dont meet it....well, you have failed.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Not absurd, just basic logic. you set a goal and dont meet it....well, you have failed.

There is a difference between your goals and your expectations.

Winning the Stanley Cup is a goal (among others).

Improving on your previous season, making the playoffs, etc. are expectations.

Winning the Stanley Cup every year is not an expectation. Not even for the Kings or Hawks.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I don't think we'll be winning a cup until we fix our defense, which is going to take some time.

I'd like to see Couturier and Schenn improve, Mason continue his level of play, and a good year from Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, and Gostisbehere, wherever they're playing.

Last edited:

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If I thought the Flyers roster was Stanley Cup caliber and they didn't win it, I would call it a failure.

But with this team, winning a playoff series is a success.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Making the playoffs for sure. Winning a round would be nice. But since the ultimate goal is to win a Cup, then success would be something that makes us closer to that. Basically, Schenn, Courturier and the rest of our young guys growing into more effective players. And also Mason at least matching what he did last year.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think "success" for next season should not be judged by making the playoffs or not but rather in player development.

So this is how I will judge next year as a success or not.

1. Mason, i want to see another .918 save percentage or higher season from him. He was amazing in the playoffs and i hope his confidence will lead to more consistency.

2. I want Coots to take another step forward in terms of his physical development ( mainly skating speed) as well as goal scoring ability. I want him to score between 15-20 this year .

3. Schenn, i think this is a make or break season for him especially if he gets to play with giroux. Time to put up or shut up.

4. Ghost, alt, ETC. I am hoping for a bad season so we can trade kimmo to a cup contender and collect assets ,and possible streit as well. That way we can get maybe a half season to see ghost and alt getting full time minutes to see how they play. I think this will be important for them.

Other than that I don't see us as a cup contender next year, and if we do make the playoffs it will be as a 8 or 7 seed , despite what the new format is. Best case scenario is, everyone has a great season but we don't make the playoffs, and trade guys at the deadline for picks and then win the lottery .

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Tank for McDavid. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Seriously though, I want to see B. Schenn have a break out season, Coots to develop the offensive side of his game, and Mason to have over a .915 save %. Everyone (including myself) want the Flyers to win the cup, they just don't have the defense to expect that.

Make the playoffs please, because I hate no playoff hockey from my team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Next season?

-Health.

-Most, if not all, of our big name prospects progress well. Hopefully one or two making a jump to the NHL (like Laughton and Hagg or Ghost for instance)

-Don't know why I'm listing this separately, but Laughton needs to start sniffing the NHL at some point so I'd like him to nail down a spot somewhere on the roster and look good.

-Either Schenn breaks out a bit or Couturier is given more chances offensively and proves he can contribute in that way as well.

-Mason doesn't implode and keeps the faith going that he's a reliable starter.

-No major regression to our "important" NHL players.

-Hextall doesn't do anything majorly stupid.

That's about the sum of it. If all that happens playoffs should be a pretty easy bet, but these are the things I'd be happy with. It's obviously a transition period so just have our prospects progress, our established top guys keep pace, nobody get their careers detailed by injury, have Schenn/Couturier progress well, and with a new GM aboard hope he keeps course since I like how he's doing so far and we can't afford another GM as flawed as Homer.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009

Failure has a very negative and harsh connotation and implies blame or fault leading to a lack of success.

Like the other guy said, it's an absurd and realistically impossible standard so to call it failure is far too harsh and simplistic.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Make the playoffs and get further than last season... steady progress and all that goes along with it including player development and smart roster decisions until they win a cup.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
a further run in next years playoffs

and our 5 on 5 play, is much improved. schenn,couts have increases in offensive numbers. laughton has a solid rookie year.

ghost and and hagg play well, improve lots by the end of the season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
A Stanley Cup would be OK I guess, but every year one team wins it.

A truely successful team stops all their players from touching alcohol, golf clubs, or cops... how many teams can say they've really done that?

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
success? I want a Cup. I was 9 years old when this team won last. Just making the playoffs doesn't really make me happy. I really have never have that "oh well at least they made the playoffs" mentality. Yes you have to make it to win it but being happy over getting ko'd in round 1 or 2 isn't something that I am going to do personally.
getting off to a better start is a must this season because I am not sure if things are going to break right again for them again. they did play well after mid November but they were helped out by the division just being brutal for quite awhile last season.
things I want to see this season.

*better 5 on 5 play. they were not good enough in my opinion overall.

* Mason building off last season. He is starting his new contract this season. Time to show he was worth the raise. I think he can.

* More consistency out of Brayden Schenn. This is a very important season for his development.

*One of the young defenseman to step up this season. I don't think its a must but it would be nice to see one of the young guys step up and contribute.

*Jason Akeson to make the team and continue to prove the doubters wrong.

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA

So you want to tank so we can get good young players? Sounds like the Penguins MO.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
What is best in life?

Goals – failing a Stanley Cup win – should be:
  • The start of a comprehensive plan for the defense over the next 3-5 years
  • A breakout season for BSchenn or Couturier (or both!)
  • Continued progress by the team's main prospects, particularly Stolarz
  • Significant playing time with the big squad for at least one prospect (probably Laughton), and quality results
  • Consistent quality starts from Mason
  • A good trade deal for Lecavalier or (and) Grossmann; ie, no salary retained and a ≥3rd round pick/ good prospect
  • Giroux stays out of jail
  • Implementation of a more disciplined defensive system to limit own-zone time
  • Emergence of an unheralded player (Akeson, Bellemare, Raffl, etc) as a serious scoring threat

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Winning record and making the playoffs...anything can happen after that
Solidifying the Defense would be good as well and maybe a speedy winger for G for Christmas...is that too much to ask?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00