What is Steve Yzerman waiting for? Why is Jeff Blashill still employed?

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
The experiment needs to be over. He's clearly a great coach at the AHL level, but he's far too in over his head at the NHL level, even with the roster Detroit has.

I've yet to figure out why on Earth Blashill remains the head coach of this team, when his good buddy and former linemate Spuddy Gerard Gallant is out there still.

A different coach would be able to squeeze some more points out of the current roster, which still isn't playoff caliber, but on paper improved from last season's debacle.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Because when Detroit intentionally ices a roster of replacement-level players and has them coached by a tank commander, it's not "tanking" and the draft rules will be changed to help them secure a top pick, duh

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't watch any Detroit this year but I've got a few questions.

Is he playing veterans over youth in a way that's negative for the youth (sticking a rookie against elite lines that leave them exposed).

Is he a good players coach that provides feedback to the players.

Are the players working hard under him.

Does he focus on developing them and getting the most out or does he have young guys playing 25+ minute nights?

Detroit isn't a good enough team to be winning, you want a coach that's going to set them up to improve rather than have them win.

Reactions: Belos

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Was pretty surprised to see he was still coaching there, can’t imagine he stays past this year

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Because another coach wil have the same result. That's a horrific roster and no oen wil do better. Yzerman knows this. There's no point. Coaches are fired way too easily nowadays

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Come on now. No one would win with this roster and that's the point. Whether Blashill is the long-term solution or not things are going according to Yzerman's plan. Hopefully they get one of the Michigan studs in the draft.

Reactions: BHD

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Other than tonight, Detroit has played well imo. They beat the Panthers also. Greiss usually plays really well against the Panthers, but I don’t think they’re a terribly coached team considering Larkin is basically their lone star player.

MapleLeafs94

So then I said...
Nov 18, 2016
Steve does seem to be loyal to his coaches and isn't as quick to pull the trigger on this kinda thing. Copper wasn't let go from Tampa after many fans were calling for his head years ago. I don't think the situations are really comparable and he really has no reason to be loyal to Blashill. Just something to consider though. Like others have said, once they're ready to be competitive again they'll send him packing imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
What’s he waiting for?

The 2022 NHL entry draft, as he damn well should.

Detroit will start to make a push in 2022-23 (but likely still fall short), not before then.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Yzerman is too smart to hire a good coach that won't accomplish anything other than cost them a better draft pick.

It is better to finish at the very bottom than finish 6th-last. Yzerman knows this,

Reactions: Realgud

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Yzerman is too smart to hire a good coach that won't accomplish anything other than cost them a better draft pick.

It is better to finish at the very bottom than finish 6th-last. Yzerman knows this,
This.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rule #1 in the GMs playbook:

Save the good coach for when your rebuild is over, so you can use firing the bad coach as your built-in "reset button."

Depends on the situation. For example, Jeff Gorton already fired AV, and if he then fires Quinn and the team continues to struggle, then he is out of people to place the blame on its just him.

Yzerman, because of who he is, will be on a much longer leash than that.

Reactions: Cloned and BHD

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
I don't think you will see any coaches fired this year but he's likely been kept around for the tank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad