What is Randy Carlyle's "Tragic Flaw"?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not that the decision is the cause of our problems, but scratching Gardiner for Fraser? WTF is wrong with you? Way to "shake things up".

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think it's the same worth most coaches. The players for reasons that rarely get out, stop playing, and its easier to fire the coach than it is to fire 20 players.

Randy had been a good coach in multiple places, but you can't be getting embarrassed twice in one week and expect to keep your job. Unless we dominate the next two games, I would let him go by Sunday night.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
His player personnel choices are questionable most of the time.

He fails to punish poor play on a consistent basis.

He has players, that have a better chance to contribute, playing less minutes than players that have no clue how to contribute!

In the past, I always coveted having Carlyle as our coach, now, I can't wait to see him getting shown the door!

Too bad, really!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you believe in the saying "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers" then which option do you select from the poll if its the flawed players that are Carlyle's tragic flaw?

Carlyle is the victim of a flawed team building plan, and weak at core positions.

He is likely however going to be the scapegoat that will pay with his job eventually, but he isn't the team main problem.

Last edited:

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Carlyle's fatal flaw is that he seems to be under the assumption that today's athletes should be and are like the ones he played with during his playing days. He's not warm and fuzzy and coddling on the soother sucking millionaires. Was in MacArthur that said that we constantly hear only what we're doing wrong, sometimes you want to hear what you're doing right. In other words, let's placate the sucky little millionaires that have no ability to take constructive criticism. It's a new breed of athlete now, and obviously we need a new approach.

I don't fault him nearly as much as I fault those guys putting that Jersey on and playing with absolutely ZERO heart! Friggin' embarrassing.

Kyle Doobas*

If you believe in the saying "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken feathers" then which option do you select from the poll if its the flawed players that are Carlyle's tragic flaw?

Carlyle is the victim of a flawed team building plan, and weak at core positions.

He is likely however going to eventually be the scapegoat that will pay with his job eventually, but he isn't the team main problem.
Yeah, this pretty much. I'm not one of these 'blow it up' people, but you really can't build a team around Kessel and Phaneuf as your best, most important players. I'm not expecting much to change unless/until Nonis makes a front-page trade to reshape the core of the franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is tough watching this team right now and Carlyle definitely seems to be in some hot water.
If he gets fired, during the season or not, what will be remembered as his Hamartia or "Tragic Flaw"?

I added None of the Above to your poll options to allow posters another option not on your list.

Hope you don't mind. :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"There's no excuse why we don't compete every night," said McClement. "That's something that has to be there every night. You're not going to win every night, but the effort and the compete has to be there every night. There's no excuse for that."

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
To actually answer the question, I believe his "tragic flaw" is his misuse of our roster.Obviously, it isn't the only problem Carlyle has when it comes to coaching the Leafs, but it is, without a doubt, his most tragic flaw. Here are a couple of examples:

1. His offensive game plan does not utilize the skillsets of the forwards on our team. Carlyle enforces a dump and chase/cycle policy. You see, in order for this tactic to be successful a team needs forwards that will actually chase a puck and WIN battles down low. We have one forward that can do that - David Clarkson (another topic entirely with that one). We have a lot of soft forwards with skills that are suited more for a run and gun-type offense.

2. THE FOURTH LINE. What the hell is he doing? First, he unfortunately places Peter Holland at center on the fourth line between Colton Orr and Frazer McLaren. WHAT?! That is a massive waste of talent right there and entirely detrimental to the development of Holland (who is very talented). It would essentially have been the same if he put Holland out as the only member of that line. So, Nonis sends Holland down after this happens and calls up Carter Ashton...who Carlyle then places at center on the fourth line...between Colton FREAKING Orr and Frazer "USELESS" McLaren. Keep in mind that Ashton said himself that the last time he played center was back when he was in JUNIOR!!

Let's get real guys, we need to have a fourth line that can play more than five minutes a night. Having a reliable fourth line that can play and bring energy to a team lightens the load that much more on the other three lines. The other three lines get more rest, which would allow them to be more explosive when they get their regular shifts.

There are way more issues to talk about but I don't have time to talk about them right now.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
"There's no excuse why we don't compete every night," said McClement. "That's something that has to be there every night. You're not going to win every night, but the effort and the compete has to be there every night. There's no excuse for that."

As one of the few guys that actually does play hard.. this says a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad