What is old?

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
Sport careers are fairly short. Forwards hit their prime earlier than dmen and tend to have shorter primes.

However, in general when do players get "old"? 30? 35? I know "it depends" but if you had to pick an age, what would you consider old for a NHL hockey player?

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Varies depending on the players physical abilities, physical health, and desire to play.

For a general average, Matthole in post # 9 of this thread has it covered fairly well I think....

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sport careers are fairly short. Forwards hit their prime earlier than dmen and tend to have shorter primes.

However, in general when do players get "old"? 30? 35? I know "it depends" but if you had to pick an age, what would you consider old for a NHL hockey player?
It used to be 35+

Now people are talking about players approaching 30 like they are going to self destruct on their 30th birthday.

It is wrong and stupid. It is partially a fallout of the salary cap that the teams get younger. Obviously the ELC and the 35+ regulations of the CBA will do that to your team's overall roster structure.

But there are also false narratives to go with it. In fact the talent level in the league is decreasing due to many factors, but people tend to invent narratives about players hitting their prime earlier for example.

Old is still past 35 for an athlete. Injuries and other abominations occur, but the rule of the thumb is still the same. I expact an average player to start getting into his own around 22-23 and decline after he turns 33-36. For superstars the stretch is longer obviously. They are competitive earlier and still effective due to their skill and experience later on.

The fact that many 30+ guys are being pushed from the NHL rosters is due to the cap and not because they are not good enough. And I expected that to happen when the cap was introduced.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
When you're getting a bit older, you can work harder and still compete or mix it with younger guys in one off situations, but what starts to hit is your recovery times.

No matter how fit you are and how you manage yourself, what used to be sore the next day, becomes being sore two days after, then three..and so on..and you're training ..and playing hurt and sore even though you're not injured; that's when the enjoyment starts to diminish.

When you throw in an 82 game schedule and travel, that's where you see the likes of the Sedins and their team fading away on the back nine in recent times when they've been expected to still carry the torch. They're probably a good example because they get by on their skill and IQ probably more than speed or physicality.

Reduced ice time/roles and they can still play and probably contribute going forward. Run them 20 minutes a night and they're finished, even though they're still fit and can play and perform at that level.

35-36 for me. Can still compete at a high level, there's just a lot more younger guys after your job.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
As you said, it depends on the person and there's lots of variables. I'd say 35. By that point most people's bodies just start to slow down, no matter how much you fight it. Anyone playing over that age can be considered "old", regardless of performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad