What is Nathan Horton's situation? Can he still play ice hockey?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
There it is. I once again layed it down like it really is. Can this huge player still throw it down for us and do some real action? Is he or is he ain't?

To answer you question in a timely manner..

Stick a fork in Horton

I'm sure this thread will be deleted very shortly if I know anything about trends.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Has there been any updates on his status?

I heard the leafs were bringing him up to Toronto to have their doctors look at him. Horton seems positive he will play again in spite of it sounding near impossible.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Has there been any updates on his status?

I heard the leafs were bringing him up to Toronto to have their doctors look at him. Horton seems positive he will play again in spite of it sounding near impossible.
Oh so after that type of injury it'll be "near impossible" to comeback and play for us leafs? He does have a cute wife out there and life looks good in other ways. Good to hear he wants to play still, would be one cute comeback for certainly. Tell us fans and media: Is there any indicator or information if this big man can be our future hero or maybe like Jason Allison was etc cool?

NotSince67*

I would say the odds are stacked against him but as long as he's staying determined and working towards it the possibility is there. The only way he is truly done is the day he decides that for himself.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
He's been getting better, supposedly.

But we don't really know. Maybe we'll get an update come training camp. I still think even a 50% chance he plays again is optimistic considering how poor his condition was at one point.

If he is able to play again, he is likely at least a year away.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Gary Roberts was prob worse off, and came back and had a decent post injury career

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
He's been getting better, supposedly.

But we don't really know. Maybe we'll get an update come training camp. I still think even a 50% chance he plays again is optimistic considering how poor his condition was at one point.

If he is able to play again, he is likely at least a year away.
Really? A year still? Gary Roberts did come back quicker after his injury for certainly. Some others too. So if the man wants to comeback? Is he or is he ain't coming back already this season? He would be like a standing rock for us maybe.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Really? A year still? Gary Roberts did come back quicker after his injury for certainly. Some others too. So if the man wants to comeback? Is he or is he ain't coming back already this season? He would be like a standing rock for us maybe.

The issue is horton, as far as i know.... can't do any workouts or really limited workouts... the episode that had him go to the doctor came about when he was jogging. For the next few months he couldn't really do anything.

So naturally, horton is losing muscle mass and likely becoming out of shape.

So if he was cleared to do workouts in the middle of the season, it would take him at least half a year to get him back to game shape.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I think it's in the Leafs' best interests to have him not play, as even if he comes back, he'd be a shell of his former self (which was really only a very low end 1st line winger) making 5.25 Mil towards the cap long term.

Of course that doesn't mean the leafs shouldn't do their best to see if they can get him back to playing. It would be the right thing to do.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
As someone who also follows the Blue Jackets, the main thing that came down to Horton was there was always hope unless he got the surgery. Before the trade, he was telling reporters that he was hopeful for Training camp of this year to at least try some skating and see how it goes. But yeah, he's been awfully quiet since the trade.

I'll just say this again, there's a chance as long as he doesn't get the surgery.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
As someone who also follows the Blue Jackets, the main thing that came down to Horton was there was always hope unless he got the surgery. Before the trade, he was telling reporters that he was hopeful for Training camp of this year to at least try some skating and see how it goes. But yeah, he's been awfully quiet since the trade.

I'll just say this again, there's a chance as long as he doesn't get the surgery.

very very.
also. this has nothing to do with the cap savings - I just don't think it's worth permanently causing damage. if he can... that's one thing, but i would be worried about relapses.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Never say never, but at this point there's probably little to no chance he ever plays again. From everything I've read he struggles with day to day life, let alone play sports professionally.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
Honestly, just by being the piece in the Clarkson trade, I would say Horton has already done more for this team than he could on the ice.

And kudos Nonis, you managed to get one right!

...... Well after screwing up in the first place.

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Is this true? That's upsetting if correct.

Ugh, still makes me flinch when I watch this but wasn't it a separate injury that has put him in the position he is now?
Last I heard that was the case, that was around the time of the the trade though, maybe things have gotten better.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is this true? That's upsetting if correct.

Ugh, still makes me flinch when I watch this but wasn't it a separate injury that has put him in the position he is now?
yeah this injury was nothing major in the grand scheme of things, he played the following years and had 32 pts in 46 games in 11/12, 22 pts in 43 games in 12/13 along with scoring the 2nd goal for the bs in the 4-1 comeback in game 7(along with 19pts in 22 games in the playoffs), and 19pts in 35 games in 13/14. He had a lot of injuries since this one but still he played and played at times at a elite level. His career got cut short which sucks but now i think he will just keep on making money and living life to the fullest.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just saw this thread on the side: even if Horton was able to play, he will never play again. He's already a year and a half away from the game. His speed wasn't a strength and his body was. Now he has no strengths. He could barely walk, I doubt he would ever risk going through this pain ever again. He's done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad