What is more popular in your country, local teams, national teams or NHL?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Cze

NHL
National team
Cze or any other league with Cze players in Europe except the KHL, because people are too sceptical to any Russian product.
Disagree here about the Czechs. IMO it's National team as n.1 and not even close... even people who are not strong hockey fans will turn on the TV come Olympics or the World championship.
Then it's a competition between NHL and Extraliga... and I don't know that many "serious hockey fans" to make the call here, although most of my friends cheer for Extraliga teams and I don't personally know any NHL fans. (Seems popular in internet discussions though).

If I had to rank it:
Czech national team
Extraliga
NHL
Other leagues

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
If I could choose between an international title for my country(Sweden) or a national title for my favourite club in SHL, I would choose the national title for my club.
And it's not even close.

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
I currently live in London, Ontario so

It's either Leafs/London Knights(OHL)/Canadian Juniors

Or for non leaf fans London Knights/random NHL team/Canadian Juniors

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I’d assume local teams in the US would imply AHL/ECHL. In that case it’s clearly NHL then National Team then AHL then ECHL

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
[QUOTE = "Babula, příspěvek: 165213541, člen: 164015"] Cze
I totally disagree. generally far ahead is the national team, then probably the league, then the NHL. Fans like being thrilled in the NHL, but that doesn't mean it's the most important thing for them.

ikzu

Oct 22, 2015
Finland:

Leijonat (national team)
Liiga
NHL
U20/U18 World Championships
KHL/Jokerit

5,5 million people live here in Finland and over 3 million people watched the 2019 WC final game vs. Canada.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
If I could choose between an international title for my country(Sweden) or a national title for my favourite club in SHL, I would choose the national title for my club.
And it's not even close.
Same for me as a finn. Ässät over Team Finland any day of the week and twice on sundays. Hypothetically, lets say Ässät wins the title five times in a row while Team Finland get nothing in the world and Olympics, then I might give the sixth to Team Finland if it was the best on best Olympics.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
NHL. I mean, you probably will get way more casual fans watching for the Olympics particularly medal rounds if Canada is involved (especially when it is on at a reasonable time), but that is also dependent on NHL players being at the Olympics. WJC is a big Christmas time tradition though, and is bigger than any international event that isn't best on best.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think a lot of hockey fans follow whats happening in the NHL, but for those who have a SHL team localy, its the success of that team whats really matters.

The fact that most NHL games are sent in the middle of the night, and by a pretty expensive pay channel, hampers the interest here.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Huh. I have yet to meet a swedish hockey fan who puts the WJC ahead of anything really. Must be the youbger generation.

Really? It's been really big the last 10 years or so. Probably has had its peak and has cooled off a little but still lots of interest.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’d assume local teams in the US would imply AHL/ECHL. In that case it’s clearly NHL then National Team then AHL then ECHL

College team could probably also be included in the local teams category. In some areas, the local college team might even be a close 2nd to the NHL team, if not a little more popular, but overall, I think it's probably closer to the AHL level.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Huh. I have yet to meet a swedish hockey fan who puts the WJC ahead of anything really. Must be the youbger generation.
Yeah i would guess:
SHL /National team
Hockeyallsvenskan (always a couple of teams with a lot of fans)
WJC (just for fun to see some of the the future tre kronor players, but makes some watch who almost never watch hockey)
NHL (only for hockeynerds)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad