What is hockey's equivalent of a 20 point lead in the NBA?

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
20 point leads being blown are very common in the NBA even though it's ~6-10 possessions worth of scoring. How many goal leads in hockey do you consider it a 20 point lead equivalent to the NBA? I would say maybe 3-4 goal lead.

Reactions: Gnome17

Rapsfan

Jun 7, 2021
I'm really not sure if we're getting trolled with all those NBA related threads. Are you writing a thesis on the NBA vs NHL and slowly getting HFBoards to help on each chapter ?
I mean people like you are probably what drive other NBA fans transitioning into NHL away from that. Yeah I'm genuinely getting into hockey watching. Also, if you think I troll, I bet you haven't seen most other topics posted here.

Brownies

I mean people like you are probably what drive other NBA fans transitioning into NHL away from that. Yeah I'm genuinely getting into hockey watching. Also, if you think I troll, I bet you haven't seen most other topics posted here.
Sorry, no offense I was legitimately wondering. We've had some very subtle (but funny) trolls over the years that posted seemingly valid threads but after 5 or 6 of them you realize they're trolling for obscure reasons. What's the name of that guy with threads digging up weird stats on Crosby, Ovechkin and Laine ?

Your thread is not a bad question at all : 2 goals seems not enough and 4 too much so I'd go with 3. Still, I always laugh when they say general stuff on TV like : 2 goals leads are the worst in hockey.. I'm pretty sure a 1 goal lead is worst.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
20 point leads being blown are very common in the NBA even though it's ~6-10 possessions worth of scoring. How many goal leads in hockey do you consider it a 20 point lead equivalent to the NBA? I would say maybe 3-4 goal lead.
4 goal lead seems more like a 30-35 point comeback. Those are pretty rare.

3 goal comebacks happen all the time though.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The only way to scientifically answer this is to look up how often an NBA team comes back from 20 points behind. (A percentage)Then you find the equivalent percentage of teams coming back in games they are behind by a certain number of goals in hockey.

For example. if it's determined 30.47 percent of teams down by 20 in the NBA come back to reach a tie game or slight eclipse of a tie (up to 2 points pass a tie as sometimes an exact tie is not achievable in one single scoring play in basketball)

and

30.65 percent of NHL teams down by 2 goals come back to reach a tie game.

Then this would give you a strong indicator of the equivalence.

Last edited:

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
With the high variance 3 point shooting in the NBA, I’d say it’s 2 goals

It’s definitely not more than 3, anyone who’s saying that hasn’t watched the NBA in recent years.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I'm really not sure if we're getting trolled with all those NBA related threads. Are you writing a thesis on the NBA vs NHL and slowly getting HFBoards to help on each chapter ?
That would be a pretty sick idea, but I think he might be just a new hockey fan who has switched over from basketball jus asking questions but what do I know haha

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
The only way to scientifically answer this is to look up how often an NBA team comes back from 20 points behind. (A percentage)Then you find the equivalent percentage of teams coming back in games they are behind by a certain number of goals in hockey.

For example. if it's determined 30.47 percent of teams down by 20 in the NBA come back to reach a tie game or slight eclipse of a tie (up to 2 points pass a tie as sometimes an exact tie is not achievable in one single scoring play in basketball)

and

30.65 percent of NHL teams down by 2 goals come back to reach a tie game.

Then this would give you a strong indicator of the equivalence.

This

Everything else reminds me of some stupid articles being written after the 7-1 in Germany-Brazil 2014 that said "this is like scoring 420 points in an NBA game or 120 points in the NFL!" because Germany scored ~4.5 times as much as an average soccer team and they just multiplied that factor by average NBA and NFL scores, when the correct comparison would've been looking what scores in those leagues happen as often as scoring 7 goals in soccer.

/tangent, but yeah, if NBA teams blowing 20 point leads isn't super rare (seems like a big if), calling the hockey equivalent 3 goals is wrong, because that IS incredibly rare.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
About a 3 goal lead. Basketball is different, it's a game of runs/streaks. Teams go on like 8-0, 10-2 etc run regularly every game so it's kinda tough to compare. But if we're comparing to the Jazz from last night, it's like blowing a 3 goal lead.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
As a huge basketball fan myself, I say 2 goal lead--enough to think the outcome is likely, but there's no way you're turning the game off.

Reactions: Korg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad