What is chocolate for your historical mind?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
What are your sweet spots?

I just heard of the Regina Capitals and immediately thought of Dick Irvin, George Hay and the great Eddie Shore.

Every time I hear Buffalo i have Hasek on the mind.

I smile with every reference to Yzerman. I've loathed the franchise but can't get enough of him.

Reactions: Boxscore

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
1990s HNIC

O6 Rivalries in the 1950s

Lately Ray Bourque for some reason(?)

How stacked a small market like Edmonton was in the 1980s. Just boggles my mind how somewhere that remote happened to have Gretzky, Coffey, Kurri, Fuhr, Anderson, and Messier all in their primes. Something like that would never happen for these smaller markets today.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Sitting on the Montreal Canadiens' team bench after watching Soviet Union v Team Canada in CC84 tune-up game at the Forum in Montreal.

My nine-year old self always "knew" that was going to happen

(although the terms were quite different).

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Growing up as an Oilers fan I didn’t get to see them much until the playoffs on the tube. As an adult I can get every game. There was a real thrill on Saturday night when the Hockey Night in Canada theme song would come on. If they were showing the Leafs I would cheer for them. (Pretty hapless in those early 80s) or if the Habs were on I would cheer for their opponent. I think we were easier to entertain back in the day when we didn’t have 180000000 options at our fingertips.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Books and old THN issues
WHA
Early 90’s
Anything 1970’s
Bob Cole
Canada Cup
Slapshot
Legends of Hockey and various other DVD’s and VHS
Mike Lange goal calls (Lemieux and Jagr)
Hockey Night in Canada theme and intros
Organs
Brass Bonanza
L’Oreille (Habs goal song early 00’s)

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This video is too recent (more recent than I thought, I don't know how long they had the games) but Channel 5's NHL coverage in the UK from ~2002-2004:

The previous studio setup (presumably pre-lockout) was those two guys at a desk with big pictures on the wall behind them on either side - one of them was a big close up of Patrick Roy's mask, the other was Mike Peca skating along the Sabres bench celebrating a goal wearing the white goathead. When they showed a game live we didn't get any of the broadcast intermission stuff (didn't even get adverts during the TV timeouts) so it went back to the studio in the UK for analysis and discussion. When there was a game on there would be pennants for each team on the front of the desk. My formative years were very proud of Steve Thomas, "Pride of Stockport", which must have been when he was on Anaheim in 2003.

It's going to annoy me until I can find a picture or video of the old studio.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
.Bure on a breakaway.
.Ken Dryden shaking my hand.
.BCTV; to wit, that geeky sterling sportscaster Squire Barnes.
. OV checking in his early years.
. Hasek saves.
. long shootouts, World Juniors especially.
. Llistening to a hockey game live on a long bus ride.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This is the history board JianYang (old man teaching English in China?). Squire Barnes disappeared from my media radar in the late 90s. One could google him to see what's up.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is the history board JianYang (old man teaching English in China?). Squire Barnes disappeared from my media radar in the late 90s. One could google him to see what's up.

When you said geeky, I immediately thought of squire.

There's not much else I remember from bctv. Bernie pascal and John mckeechie is about it.

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
When you said geeky, I immediately thought of squire.

There's not much else I remember from bctv. Bernie pascal and John mckeechie is about it.
Yeah! Old Bernie and that gal... Pamela Martin, i think (i'll google check.. wow, er,... EDIT: She was Miss Teen USA in 1977? She dyed her hair blonde in her later years? She was a brunette throughout the eighties and nineties on BCTV)

BCTV news was 6pm and 11pm gold... preInternet.... better than the next day's newspaper.

And i made my living as a newspaper reporter in the 90s.

Then that Alberta company bought it and gutted it. It went "Global".

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah! Old Bernie and that gal... Pamela Martin, i think (i'll google check.. wow, er,... EDIT: She was Miss Teen USA in 1977? She dyed her hair blonde in her later years? She was a brunette throughout the eighties and nineties on BCTV)

BCTV news was 6pm and 11pm gold... preInternet.... better than the next day's newspaper.

And i made my living as a newspaper reporter in the 90s.

Then that Alberta company bought it and gutted it. It went "Global".

Oh yeah, if we branch away from just the sports department, the other lasting face from bctv is Tony parsons.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tony! ... gawd... i grew up with him, from kindy to adulthood, his voice was always around because BCTV News was always on.

It was funny that BCTV, the provincial station of CTV, had clearly better sports reporting than CBC, the public network with the most sports coverage.

CBC was great at broadcasting and commentating on live sports. It was always better than CTV; except, in terms of journalism, daily sports news, BCTV was sonething special before Global came.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
For some reason the first player I associate with the Regina Caps is Freddie Wilson, despite only playing 15 post-peak games with the team, but it's mostly because he spent his entire amateur career in the city and won an Allan Cup there. Eddie Shore I would associate more with either Melville or Edmonton, but that's just me.

I must be one of the few here who haven't even seen Slap Shot, not big into sports movies or sports comedies.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Maple Leaf Gardens
Montreal Forum
Chicago Stadium and the Star Spangled Banner
Mario and his effortless ways
Another shout out to Bob Cole
The Spectrum
Don Cherry on Saturday nights
When teams didn't like each other
Following hockey in the pre-social media days for some reason had more mystique to it
Canada/Russia games

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce