What is CBC's playoff coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Thats fair enough.

And, of course, it doesnt change my opinion that the Oilers are really only 1-4-1 in the real hockey games vs the Flames.

However, neither of our opinions is valid wrt the official standings - and that is what I am arguing when it comes to what Edmonton must do to officially pass the Flames.

Regardless, we both agree that the Oilers will be there, as well as one of Toronto and Montreal in all likleyhood. The originating comment was kinda dumb.

se7en*

No you're totally right - they've already won it. I guess I just don't want to admit it, and Jesses comment (and my burned finger) kinda ticked me off, and I don't even wanna know why I tried to argue against logic.

We will win the playoffs series though! :D I had a strong feeling the Rush would get their first win at the Saddledome, and I have the same strong feeling that the Oilers will beat the Flames in the playoffs this year. I have sports intuition.

I'm not claiming it means anything! :loony:

To get back to the original psot, the last time all Canadian teams made the playoffs wqas 1986...I was only a child so I have no way of knowing if CBC televised ALL Canadian teams.

Likewise, the last time Edmonton and Calgary both made the playoffs (not facing each other) was 1990, and I can't remember if CBC would have blacked out each region. I would think they would nowadays though.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
On the bright side, both teams have won the series against Vancouver. ;)

CBC even split Alberta when the two teams were playing on the same nights, back in the day. North got the Oilers game, South got the Flames.

Six teams made it in 1996 (iirc) as well, and CBC did the same, splitting the network as needed to accomodate all teams.

The Major

Feb 13, 2003
edm.ab.ca
Visit site
Resolute said:
CBC even split Alberta when the two teams were playing on the same nights, back in the day. North got the Oilers game, South got the Flames.

Six teams made it in 1996 (iirc) as well, and CBC did the same, splitting the network as needed to accomodate all teams.

Yeah, the Oil didnt make it in 1996, but like you said, CBC will definitely split the network to make sure every city gets their team.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Resolute said:
Your opinion is not valid according to the NHL.

As far as the NHL is concerned, Calgary has won the series. In the event that it comes down to the second tiebreaker, the NHL's opinion matters, not yours.

Yup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/matchups

In the event teams are tied in the standings, the following tiebreakers are applied to determine which team receives the higher seeding.

Tiebreaker
1. Wins
2. Points obtained in games against tied teams
3. Goal differential

Calgary has won the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Oilers - 9 pts vs 8 (best case) - assuming an equal # of total wins.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
So what happens to the CBC if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs? Do they just shut the station down after April and start up back in October?

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Basically CBC priority

1 If you live in a Canadian city where the team has a game that night, you get to see it on TV.

2 if that doesn't appy, then if the Leafs are playing you get that game.

3 if no Leafs game, then in the West you will get one of the Calgary, Edm, Van games on TV.

4 They always give priority to show a Canadian team at all costs if one is available each night.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
thenextone said:
So what happens to the CBC if Toronto doesn't make the playoffs? Do they just shut the station down after April and start up back in October?

Anything that helps bankrupt the CBC is a good thing. I would love to see the Leafs miss the playoffs for that reason, even if I didn't hate the team already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad