What is Causing Edmonton's Success Right Now?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey Edmonton!

Haven't really paid much attention to anyone other teams' games other than Calgary's. But, I want to know how you've won 3 games in a row. I am not trolling, I actually felt bad that you guys didn't have a win not too long ago. Has your defense played better? Are you playing a team effort? Did Hall have to step it up? Or was it just solid goaltending by Scrivens? Glad you guys are winning games now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hey Edmonton!

Haven't really paid much attention to anyone other teams' games other than Calgary's. But, I want to know how you've won 3 games in a row. I am not trolling, I actually felt bad that you guys didn't have a win not too long ago. Has your defense played better? Are you playing a team effort? Did Hall have to step it up? Or was it just solid goaltending by Scrivens? Glad you guys are winning games now.

We've played 3 games in a row at home against EC clubs that play bad on Western road swings, are allergic to team D, coverage, or throwing hits.

We're 0-4-1 against WC clubs.

Chalk it up to scheduling quirk at this point.

I'll revise my view if something different happens but this is the story at this point.

Last edited:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
#1 reason, playing beatable teams from the eastern conference at home.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers play way better against the Eastern conference. They're an Eastern conference team stuck in the West.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lots of things. We called up Marincin. Scrivens had a couple good games (and a few bad ones). RNH and Eberle are recovering from minor injuries. We have one of the best 4th lines in the league. We're tightening up some of our simple, stupid mistakes that were holding us back.

And even then, we aren't dominating opposition in these wins. We also weren't playing as badly as last season in our losses. I agree with Replacement on the sample size, but I don't think the conference matters when they are two good teams like Washington and Tampa.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Well, I guess Carolina is an easy team (Calgary won 5-0). Do you think they can pick up some wins on the West with this winning streak?

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Poor opposition goaltending for one.

Really good goaltending in for us in two of the three last games.

We played better in most of our losses than we did that last two wins.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Poor opposition goaltending for one.

Really good goaltending in for us in two of the three last games.

We played better in most of our losses than we did that last two wins.

Imo Bishop did extremely well. We outplayed Tampa very badly. It could be a bit of an illusion though. I thought the Jets were outplaying the Bolts very much last night, but the Bolts have a quick strike capability that gave them the win.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Imo Bishop did extremely well. We outplayed Tampa very badly. It could be a bit of an illusion though. I thought the Jets were outplaying the Bolts very much last night, but the Bolts have a quick strike capability that gave them the win.

Last night Carolina got crap goaltending. :)

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
They had a few winnable games early in the season that they shouldn't have lost. I don't think their game has changed much at all, but they're not getting the terrible goaltending they got in the first few, and the bounces have leveled out a bit.

Overall, it's 3 games...and the record prior to that was only over 5 games. Try not to read too much into small sample sizes.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Playing EC teams, our #1D is back from the AHL, our #2D isn't in the press box, our goalie has decided to show up and there's probably that thing LeBron James was talking about with the Cav's. McT has overhauled this roster since taking over. It's going to take some time for them to learn to play together and trust each other.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Didn't watch the Canes game, but in the previous 2 wins it looked like they've revised their "swarm" approach in the defensive end so not to completely abandon the slot (where we got slaughtered the first 4 games). It's resulted in lanes to the point opening up, but the law of averages suggests that it's a bit tougher to score from there (vs the slot). So in that regard, improvement to a still flawed system.

Yes, Scrivens has been better.

Marincin being called up and paired with Fayne has been good (but again, did not watch last night's game where they were both minuses, but they previously shutdown Ovie and Stamkos).

The 4th line is giving us some good, grinding forecheck hockey. Joensuu has flashed a bit of skill, Gordon is a beast on the dot, and Hendricks hits everything that moves. We haven't had a proper 4th line in forever.

I'd say that about covers it. That, and part of what Replacement mentioned. TB/WSH/CAR all have questionable depth down the middle (like us). Bring in the Ducks/Blues/Kings and we could very likely take 5 steps back. But that would be the pessimistic viewpoint, and we don't do that in Oil country. It's always sunny in Phila.... er, Edmonton.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Nikitin has been more instrumental than Marincin to be honest on the back end.

Nikitin started the season playing on a sore ankle, its likely that's fully healed up now.

Matador

Jun 20, 2007
1) Home ice last change
2) Coach is using zone starts effectively
3) 4th line is playing great
4) Oilers match up better against Eastern Conference
5) Better goaltending of late
6) Nikitin and Fayne are playing better than at the start of the season
7) Marincin replaced Hunt

First two games were winnable with better goaltending IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Didn't watch the Canes game, but in the previous 2 wins it looked like they've revised their "swarm" approach in the defensive end so not to completely abandon the slot (where we got slaughtered the first 4 games). It's resulted in lanes to the point opening up, but the law of averages suggests that it's a bit tougher to score from there (vs the slot). So in that regard, improvement to a still flawed system.

Yes, Scrivens has been better.

Marincin being called up and paired with Fayne has been good (but again, did not watch last night's game where they were both minuses, but they previously shutdown Ovie and Stamkos).

The 4th line is giving us some good, grinding forecheck hockey. Joensuu has flashed a bit of skill, Gordon is a beast on the dot, and Hendricks hits everything that moves. We haven't had a proper 4th line in forever.

I'd say that about covers it. That, and part of what Replacement mentioned. TB/WSH/CAR all have questionable depth down the middle (like us). Bring in the Ducks/Blues/Kings and we could very likely take 5 steps back. But that would be the pessimistic viewpoint, and we don't do that in Oil country. It's always sunny in Phila.... er, Edmonton.

Eakins' defensive system is such garbage seriously. Why couldn't we have hired a competent, seasoned NHL coach like Terry Murray? Ugh.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
1. Goaltending
2. Started fielding their best dcorp
3. Ramseys influence on dzone play starting to make a difference. Breakouts r 1000% betfer
4. Maturity helping in holding leads
5. 1st line making opponents pay for mistakes.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Well, I guess Carolina is an easy team (Calgary won 5-0). Do you think they can pick up some wins on the West with this winning streak?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Turn the physical dial up and plug up the middle of the ice in the d zone and you have the Oilers beat.

Basically the key to beating Edmonton is to not give them an easy path to the net because we won't force the issue. If you make it hard to get to the net... we just won't go and will end up circling the outside and firing low percentage shots.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers can generally play with anyone from the East, even Montreal (for the most part), because the teams from the East allow the Oilers to play a more wide open, uptempo style and are content to trade scoring chances.

The Western teams play much tighter and take away the middle of the ice much moreso.

Eirhead*

I don't think the level of game last night was very good overall. The forwards played alright once again, but the team D still left something to be desired and Scrivens was looking real flaky. Luckily it was only Carolina and we didn't crap the bed too hard.

Otherwise, our physical presence and pushback is probably at a 6 year high, so that's encouraging. We're still rather "light" in some very key positions. A couple big trade deadline maneuvers could turn us into a potential playoff threat, and I do think this team has enough skill to make playoffs if it really pulls it together. But it's definitely going to be a season long battle just to stay in the middle of the pack.

czar99

Nov 19, 2008
Shultz'z Place
We've played 3 games in a row at home against EC clubs that play bad on Western road swings, are allergic to team D, coverage, or throwing hits.

We're 0-4-1 against WC clubs.

Chalk it up to scheduling quirk at this point.

I'll revise my view if something different happens but this is the story at this point.

I usually find you debby downer but on board with this post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad