What is Bob's trade value?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
His salary will take him out of most conversations, even for a season. More will not like his next contract. Of the teams left, a lot of them will already feel they are set. Of those left how many will Bob be willing to go to since he has a NMC.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I would guess he would have moderate value. Almost being over 30 and a pending UFA will hurt it though.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
His salary will take him out of most conversations, even for a season. More will not like his next contract. Of the teams left, a lot of them will already feel they are set. Of those left how many will Bob be willing to go to since he has a NMC.
I think St Louis could use an upgrade in goal so maybe them. Thing is, they have Allen signed for a couple of years for big money. Definitely won't want him as a backup. Might ask Columbus to take him part of a package. Not sure how I would feel about that. Would a 50/50 split between Allen and Korpisalo(Elvis maybe for the following season and beyond) be okay? As for his NTC. I want to say Bob and Tarensenko are friends. Him being there would help and I think St. Louis would sign him to a new deal so I think Bob would waive. Gets his contract, has a friend to help him adjust to the city, and would still be on a contender(a better contender).

As for the original question by the o.p. I would say conditional 3rd or 4th round pick. If he doesn't sign, pick goes from 3rd to 4th/4th to 5th. If he signs, pick goes from 3rd to 2nd/4th to 3rd. If team trades his rights to another team. Pick either stays the same or maybe goes from 3rd to 2nd/4th to 3rd to prevent them from trading his rights to the East or something.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Imagine what a Panarin + Bob package to STL might look like, especially if there is messaging that both are open to resigning with STL next year.

Sheesh.

Back to the thread topic, it probably depends on when we make the trade. If it was at the TDL, it's probably nothing too exciting. Picks/prospects and maybe a goalie with term coming back. I'd wonder about the Bob-Allen swap previously mentioned, with hopefully more coming back our way.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It cracks me up that we've got some posters on this board who simultaneously

1) Are ripping their hair out over our depth moves for next season.

2) Would entertain dumping Bobrovsky.

Do you want to have a good team or not? If there is any merit in not keeping Bob, it is in the uncertainty of making a big money long term commitment to a player that can burn you when they're in their mid thirties. For next season, there is no merit in trading Bob. Our chances of making the playoffs drop below 50%.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
2) Would entertain dumping Bobrovsky.

Do you want to have a good team or not? If there is any merit in not keeping Bob, it is in the uncertainty of making a big money long term commitment to a player that can burn you when they're in their mid thirties. For next season, there is no merit in trading Bob. Our chances of making the playoffs drop below 50%.

You generally need good goaltending, however that list doesn't include just one goaltender. On a side note, I'm happy we have posters that have transitioned into online odds makers.

Check your thesaurus folks, trading is now synonymous with dumping.

I admit I've been for the Jackets keeping their options open. We should know by now that I'm not convinced that paying our goaltender that kind of money is the best thing for the franchise, especially for one on the other side of 30. I see both sides of the argument. If Bob would want to sign a 4 year deal with a 6.25M cap hit, I'd be much more on board than with a 7 or 8 year 9M cap hit.

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I think bob doesn't have great trading value based on cost.

He's an expensive starting goalie, the kind you don't platoon with. That limits the markets severely and cuts your cost.

Plus you'll probably have to take back contacts (likely a goalie) you even it out. That means something like a bishop, darling, etc.

Certainly will not receive a star player (roster, prospect, and pick) return.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see any trade making sense that CBJ get more for Bob than he's worth, even if he is only here one more season. I'll keep saying this - I'm fine with kicking this can down the road another year. Don't trade him, don't re-sign him. Play out the year and then decide.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Limited value - most teams are doing 1a and 1b goalies with lower contracts. His value could increase if a good team needs a goalie but too early right now.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I don't see any trade making sense that CBJ get more for Bob than he's worth, even if he is only here one more season. I'll keep saying this - I'm fine with kicking this can down the road another year. Don't trade him, don't re-sign him. Play out the year and then decide.

The two sides are talking, so for the moment they are taking your suggestion. Having said that, if it becomes clear he's going to test FA you have to decide if you think the team can go deep in the playoffs (legitimate cup run) and if you can sustain that level of play after the goalie leaves.

It does you no good, other than limited financial gain, to just roll with it and let him walk for nothing if you aren't in your "window". I have reservations about how good this team really is. Without two amazing winning streaks the last two seasons our play is otherwise kind of pedestrian. Most of the board basically says we have no chance without Bob. If that is the case and you can't re-sign him (personally I don't think this will be an issue, I think the FO will be desperate), then you better start taking a serious view on assets.

Frankly I think you wait until the deadline even if you can't re-sign him. That will make the cap hit far more manageable for the rest of the league. At that point if you are just hanging on to a WC spot (or worse), just move on if there is a decent offer on the table. You might need to make the same decision with the other franchise level player. We might end up in a mini-rebuild scenario.

The reality is we have our top pairing D and the rest of the D is respectable, even if I'm not a fan of Savard. It's certainly not as good as our fanboys were making it out to be last season. Where were lacking is forward, mainly because we have 3 forwards, making around 16 million, that aren't doing a whole lot right now. Actually make that 20 and include my boy Jenner.

It doesn't make things easy on the FO when your team performance is all over the place and you have a goalie that hides issues.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Agree with you, Bob would be nearly impossible to trade, and get a decent return, hes already overpaid, and we all know how bad his playoff stats are. Make him play out the season, and if he insists on 10 mill to resign, weigh trading him at deadline, or just playing out season and make him prove his worth in the playoffs. By then we should see if Korpis problems have been corrected, by the new goalie coach (which appears to be Legace), we will have Elvis here next summer, and hopefully we dont have to waste 9-10 mill at the goalie position, when the league is dramatically shifting towards scoring, and winning games 5-4, not 1 to 0. The bluejackets have had pedestrian forwards, for their whole existence. Its time that they balance their team out. Go out and spend that 8-9 mill and get a player or 2 that can complement Panarin.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's underpaid.

The expected goals models say that replacing him with Jake Allen would mean 40 (40!) more goals going into our net. That's impossible to make up elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad