What in hell is going on with Duclair?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I know that when Domi and Duke play together they are the two best players on the ice. So even if you think Duke is just a product of Domi, we could either take advantage of it or separate them. It's like if you think Duke is just Craig Janney to Tkachuk, you still play them together because they both play better together than apart.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
He started the game on the second line IIRC. Played himself onto the 4th line. Don't be an apologist for Duclair's poor play.

He played well up until that 1 shift that got him sent down to the fourth line. It was a weak call and it all started because of a brutal turn over from Luke Schenn. This is beyond ridiculous, there are a bunch of coyotes players making a ton of mistakes yet only the young guys are getting punished. We can't score goals to save our lives and the score is tied 1-1 and our elite coach decides to put our 2nd most offensively gifted toward on our 4th line playing 8 minutes. Don't get me wrong I am all for punishing players but you can't just single out the young guys. There are plenty of veterans that deserve a game in the press box or some shifts on the 4th line. Duclair will probably never be a solid defensive player but the bottom line is he is our best goal scoring talent on the team. If you want to win games you have to put players in the positions that work best for them and the team. Playing Domi and Duclair together will obviously give up some scoring chances but they create so many chances when they play together that it will out way the negatives . Tippet needs to realize not every player will be elite a defensive player so you have to use their strengths and hope the good out ways the bad.

Fire Tippet!!!!

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Goligoski and Doan haven't received anything that could even remotely be construed as a punishment for any mistakes they've made, at any time, all season.

Best players don't play.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
Goligoski and Doan haven't received anything that could even remotely be construed as a punishment for any mistakes they've made, at any time, all season.

Best players don't play.

Goligoski especially. It seems like everytime I see a breakdown on defense that leads to a goal against I look and see #33 out there. It's not just this year that Tippett has been doing this. If Chipchura would have been a 20 year old top 5 pick then he would have watched every game in the press box. Every single year with Tippett there has been veterans that made mistakes throughout every game. Not only would they not be punished but they would even get a shot at the first line at times.

We need to let our young studs play. You can teach them to play the right way in other ways then scaring the p!@$ out of them. We will never be anything other then mediocre until we get a new coach. Tippett is a great coach for getting the most out of a mediocre roster but he is not a coach that will get the most out of talented players. Take the leash off of Duclair and let him play a fully game with Max Domi for god sakes. Yes there will be some mistakes but when they are bringing the fans out of their seats on a nightly basis it will be more then worth it. Unfortunately Dino Dave Tippett does not see things that way.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Duclair has had opportunities to play himself out of his funk. He's also deserved to sit for giving up on plays. If work ethic was there he wouldn't sit at all. I don't think this is solely on DT.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think Duclair has had opportunities to play himself out of his funk. He's also deserved to sit for giving up on plays. If work ethic was there he wouldn't sit at all. I don't think this is solely on DT.

He doesn't put in any less effort than, say, Vrbata. The 'effort' thing is ********. Working hard isn't working smart. He will never be a guy that dumps it into the corner and then goes and gets it. Most skill guys won't play that way. If that's the bar then just spare him the misery and trade him for another grinder right now. Some other coach can play him to his strengths and get the reward.

If Duclair was producing, we're not even having this conversation. Nothing has changed significantly about his game except his confidence level and the play of those around him. One of the worst offenses and defenses in the league, with practically zero chemistry and consistency with the lines. There was no hot start this year, just straight into the ****ter. The only player producing at a high rate (DeAngelo) got sent down for his efforts. Everybody else is meeting expectations or lagging badly. That, my friend, is solely on DT at this point.

Duclair is a classic case of a coach getting in a player's head in a bad way and riding him into the proverbial ground. He's averaging 13 minutes, only the 4th line is getting less. He's getting a full minute twenty less PP time. What type of player do you expect Duclair to be? He took that first penalty trying to chip it by the guy and break the other way. A skill play. Would you prefer a panic clear, even an icing? Do we want to watch a team play increasingly bad neanderthal hockey with no results? So the Flames player went down like someone shot him, not a big deal. Live and learn.

But because this team is absolutely awful right now and the coach needs a scapegoat, he immediately starts punishing Duclair on a play that started off a turnover from another player. This after scratching him and trying to get him back into the right mindset. Anyone can punish. Where's the coaching? Where's the motivation? The promised patience? Other organizations have figured this out, why can't the Coyotes? The old school "here's the bar, now clear it" crap is great if you're running a call center. This is a (mostly) professional hockey team that needs to cultivate and maximize what little talent it has. If it can't do that, it can't survive.

DT hasn't coaxed much out of players and hasn't for some years now. I know you love the "there's a lot of young players here" excuse but he's having the same diminishing returns with veteran players. DT's effectiveness has dropped like a rock in recent years as a result. Ignore it if you want, but the dwindling attendance suggests the organization can't do so forever.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
Everyone know that Tip can do things with random piece of wood. But he have problems with young talented players.

So now we shall see how Holland will have success under Tip, and Duke blamed / benched / traded etc.

Duke is OK. Just no luck with the coach

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It's just amazing how Duke can't just once, or twice (even) rise above this oppressive, tyrannical coaching and pot more than one in the net.

I guess it's no wonder, ice deprivation therapy and forced communication with unfamiliar team mates is akin to barbarism in its effectiveness.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
It's tough to score when your coach uses a predictable offensive scheme like dump --> board battle --> turnover.

Simple system is good for average players and a skilled player will look in this system as average. Martinooks succeded, Dukes failed. So let's trade all Dukes for Martinooks, or let's fire old man with outdated system.

I'm not DT hater. I just reiterate what everyone already know - DT is bad for a young rebuilding team.
So fire DT or just stop the rebuild.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Everyone cried two years ago when DT scratched Murphy. Yet his play dramatically improved afterwards.

Sitting a guy is a coaching technique. Just some don't appreciate it.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We have no idea whether Duke's problems are due to Tippett's coaching, off ice issues, or Duke's own demons. Maybe the lynchers are right and this is all Tip's fault. I haven't seen enough to conclusion.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
This is probably obvious to a lot of folks, but there are two main ways to generate a productive possession when dumping the puck in from the neutral zone.

The first is by chasing it, recovering it cleanly behind the net or more commonly winning a board battle for the puck. This is what most people think of when they hear "dump and chase."

The other way to recover the puck is through forechecking, generating turnovers as the other team tries to leave their zone. The Coyotes forwards aren't fast enough to be too effective "chasing" the puck and the guys who are strong enough to win board battles (Hanzal and McGinn most notably) are too plodding to get there in time. An effective forecheck requires a few things, all of which the Coyotes seem to be struggling with immensely this year: structure, familiarity with one another (usually stemming from structure), and tenacity.

Furthermore, because this team lacks the skill to sustain possession with any regularity, they're more effective in transition. A harder forecheck would lead to a lot more scoring opportunities. The 2012 run was largely due to a hard forecheck and a lot of transition scoring that came from it. This squad is an awful lot softer in that regard.

That all said, this has very little to do with Anthony Duclair, who is probably the best forward on the team right now when it comes to clean zone entries with the puck on his stick. He's not really strong enough (at least not yet) to win many board battles and is not the best forechecker, either. But he does have the speed to recover quickly when he turns it over. He's probably the last guy on the roster who should be dumping it in.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
At this point that would destroy what confidence he has left.

I think he's just got to score some goals. Confidence will grow when he sees that he can still put the puck in the net. It's a weird thought process with scorers. He can go to the AHL without waivers, right?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think he's just got to score some goals. Confidence will grow when he sees that he can still put the puck in the net. It's a weird thought process with scorers. He can go to the AHL without waivers, right?

Yes. And judging by Morgans latest column that may be a future step if he can't improve his on ice work ethic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad