What if...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Sorry, have we not made progress? Are you a new fan? We went from being an embarrassment of the league, constantly folding every season, decade of no playoffs, etc to breaking to franchise record of points, 3 straight playoff appearances, and a star core that is the envy of teams around the league.

Or did you expect to draft 1st OA and then win the cup right away? I don't get half of these fans.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Then we probably wouldn't have 91 either.
No way Tavares comes here without Matthews, Nylander and Marner imo.
So yes, from that aspect we'd also be worse.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
All 3 of our players are better than those 3 players. Yes even Nylander over Ehlers. Nylander currently has 0.72 Points per Game to Ehlers 0.68. Ehlers has 7 Points all assists in 21 Playoff games, Nylander has 11 points in 20 games, and that is with him not showing up half the time allegedly.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
We had no chance of drafting Strome so it was really a decision between Marner/Hanifin.

We made the right choice for all 3 imo.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What if...

instead of drafting Sebastian Aho, Alex DeBrincat, and Brayden Point, I asked this question correctly and said instead of drafting Travis Dermott, Egor Korshkov, and Rinat Valiev we drafted those guys.

Answer: We'd still have no defense.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes like others have said, Ehlers, Laine and Strome....where is the franchise C that we have in Matthews? we'd still be searching for the replacement to Mats Sundin if we took that route.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Just checking something...

The point of this thread is to demonstrate how fortunate we are to have the players that we do, right? You aren't actually wondering if we'd be better off with those other guys, are you?

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't see much of it as a realistic possibility. Strome was already drafted when we selected Marner, and I'd guess Hunter would have still selected Marner even if Strome was still on the draft board. I think the bottoming out in the standings was done with the specific intention of having the best odds for drafting Matthews.

Last edited:

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Just checking something...

The point of this thread is to demonstrate how fortunate we are to have the players that we do, right? You aren't actually wondering if we'd be better off with those other guys, are you?
I should have presented the question differently. Hypothetically what would have happened if we drafted those guys. Not that I wish Greg did. Yikes.

FireBabcock

Apr 21, 2019
What if...

instead of drafting Sebastian Aho, Alex DeBrincat, and Brayden Point, I asked this question correctly and said instead of drafting Travis Dermott, Egor Korshkov, and Rinat Valiev we drafted those guys.

Answer: We'd still have no defense.
Feels bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad