What if?

tjd92295

Jan 17, 2014
North Tonawanda, NY
I think we can all agree that this far into the season, it's much more fun to look at the future than the present. So just for fun, let's examine a possible lineup. I'll assume Enroth/Neuvirth (whoever wins the starting job) is the only UFA to resign and everyone else leaves. McEichel, Reinhart, Hackett, Grigorenko and Pysyk make the jump to the NHL. Here's a mock lineup.

Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-McEichel-Zemgus
Hodgson-Girgorenko-Gionta
Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

Gorges-Myers
Risto-Zadorov
Pysyk-Weber

Enroth/Neuvirth
Hackett

Is this a team that could legitimately make the playoffs?

KennyFnPowers*

1. There would probably be at least 1-2 nice FA's to sprinkle in there as well.
2. Reinhart will most likely need some seasoning in the AHL to start next year. His frame is not ready yet, we'll see in the fall. If he goes there and rips it up, he'll be here FT by mid-season.
3. Hodgson on this team next year is a stretch for me. Addition by subtraction.

Really like how that roster is starting to take form though... and yeah, with a few smart adjustments this team will easily jump up into the 10-20 range next year. Not sure about playoffs, still way too many question marks. But the future is and has been bright from where I'm standing (since GMTM took over).

It's just a matter of patients.

Side-note: D-LO should have a spot on every fourth line in the NHL IMO. That kid is fearless. Also, we're not even taking into account the other futures/prospects, like Lemieux, Bailey, Baptiste, McCabe (etc), or what our other two 1st's get us this year + 1st & 2nd in 2016, etc. God this team is going to be stacked through my 40's.... Thank you God for listening to all of our prayers.

2016-2026 #FTW

Last edited by a moderator:

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Reinhart doesn't need time in the AHL, he lit up the World Juniors, dominating the WHL, and scored the gold medal winning goal! He won't be in the AHL, we need him now. The reason he struggled is because we just aren't that good.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-McEichel-Zemgus
Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

Gorges-Myers
Risto-Zadorov
Pysyk-Weber

Enroth/Neuvirth
Hackett

Maybe in 2017/18 that lineup would be good, but in 15/16 they would lose more than our current line up does.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Trade Hodgson, sign a vet C and D-man. Re-sign both goalies to higher dollar, shorter term contracts.

Moulson-Girgensons-Ennis
Larsson-(UFA or Reinhart)-Flynn
Grigorenko-McEichel-Gionta
Deslauriers-Schaller-Foligno
McCormick

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
Weber-Pysyk
UFA

Enroth-Neuvirth

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Reinhart doesn't need time in the AHL, he lit up the World Juniors, dominating the WHL, and scored the gold medal winning goal! He won't be in the AHL, we need him now. The reason he struggled is because we just aren't that good.

The reason he struggled is that he was 18 years old an not yet strong enough to effectively compete with NHL players. He'll be fine by next year IMO.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
The reason he struggled is that he was 18 years old an not yet strong enough to effectively compete with NHL players. He'll be fine by next year IMO.

Hopefully.

He's going to have to put in a hard summer's worth of work, that's for sure. He'll probably have lost weight by the end of the season.

Gary Roberts? :naughty:

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Can e make the playoffs?

No the young players need time to adjust, get stronger, learn to play the game successfully at the NHL level. Reinhardt is the poster child for this as TM sent him back specifically for that purpose.

The key is to let the core find opportunities to be successful or we risk the chance of becoming the Edmonton Oilers east.

Lastly, I think we need to address coaching at both the NHL and AHL levels.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think we can all agree that this far into the season, it's much more fun to look at the future than the present. So just for fun, let's examine a possible lineup. I'll assume Enroth/Neuvirth (whoever wins the starting job) is the only UFA to resign and everyone else leaves. McEichel, Reinhart, Hackett, Grigorenko and Pysyk make the jump to the NHL. Here's a mock lineup.

Moulson-Reinhart-Ennis
Foligno-McEichel-Zemgus
Deslauriers-Flynn-Kaleta

Gorges-Myers
Risto-Zadorov
Pysyk-Weber

Enroth/Neuvirth
Hackett

Is this a team that could legitimately make the playoffs?

First off, off the top of my head, that team is around 10 million under the cap floor.

Stafford, Stewart, Mezaros, and Mitchell all leaving with no salary coming back other than ELCs. Flynn is the only major RFA there. Figure 2 million or so for Flynn and a max ELC cap deal for both Reinhart and McDavid/Eichel.

Expect more major major changes this off season.

Of the players listed there, Moulson, Gionta, Jorges, and Myers are probably the only safe vets. And even then, there could still be major moves including that group.

In that theoretical group, no, that isn't a playoff team.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
no, thats a team that will be in on the Auston Matthews sweepstakes

and folks that continue to pencil in Reinhart & McEichel as top 2C's over Girgensons next year are getting way ahead of themselves.

Chemical

Jul 22, 2014
Part of me wants Reinhart to spend all but 9 games in the AHL next year.
A) to gain strength
B) to give Grigorenko more NHL ice time at C
C) I believe his ELC will slide once again?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I'm on the fence right now regarding Reinhart. I feel I need to see him bulk up in the offseason and how he handles the extra weight. If by preseason he's looking effective with the added weight, then I say keep him up. If he is struggling with the added weight and has trouble getting adjusted then let him get sometime in the AHL.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Colorado had MacKinnon playing the wing his first year in the NHL and I think Buffalo would be wise to break Reinhart or McEichel in on the wing and then slowly intigrate them to the center position. I would think Reinhart would be able to step in and play sheltered minutes as the 3rd line center role behind Girgensons and Mitchell while McEichel plays sheltered minutes 3rd line wing or other way around. However I think Reinhart will turn into our main all critical situation faceoff man which will put him center. If Mitchell doesn't resign then have them play sheltered minutes 2nd line but next year we should not ride them and count on them to take Buffalo to the playoffs instantly like Edmonton did with their prospects.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
no, thats a team that will be in on the Auston Matthews sweepstakes

and folks that continue to pencil in Reinhart & McEichel as top 2C's over Girgensons next year are getting way ahead of themselves.

If McDavid becomes a Sabre on draft day, he's the #1 center next season. Take it to the bank. Girgenson's, while very good, is not a game changer, McDavid has that potential by his very presence on the ice as opposing players are forced to acknowledge his where abouts constantly.

As for Reinhart, AHL bound to continue to add muscle.

As for next season, while improvement will show, let's not get ahead of ourselves, the playoffs? Maybe, but more unlikely. This rebuild is a process and that process is going to take a bit.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I would assume Armia and Makarov over Larsson and Hackett.

I'd 2nd this

My thoughts without really considering any UFAs:

Moulson-Girgensons-Gionta
Ennis-McEichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Grigorenko-Armia
Deslauriers-McCormick-Mitchell
Schaller

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk
Weber, UFA spare

Enroth/Neuvirth/Niemi - Makarov

Result: This team finished with a pick in the 8-10 range.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is anyone else on board with trading Larsson?

There are a ton of young players that need to get into our lineup next year and the year after. Guys like Grigorenko, Reinhart, Armia will probably be good enough to play here next year. We already have youth in Girgensons, Deslauriers and you can count Foligno as well. Then we have prospects like Lemieux, Compher, Fasching, Bailey and Baptiste that aren't too many years away.

In my opinion reversing the Pomminville trade using Larsson, a 1st and 2nd to get a vet makes the most sense to me. I know Pomminville was only a rental, but you get the point.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
Still think ROR ends up here he is the perfect guy to shelter Reinhart and McEichel

Moulson-ROR-McEichel
Ennis-Grigorinko-Armia
Gionta- Girgensons-Reinhart
Foligno-Mitchell-Deslauriers
McCormick

Gorges-Myers
Zadorov-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
Strachan or a vet FA

Larsson, McCabe and Our 2015 second rounder sent to Colorado for ROR who is paid a ridiculous amount of money in the first 2-3 years of the deal to get us to cap floor and save cap space the last few years of his deal.

This line up may not get us into the playoffs just yet but they would be fun to watch!

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You need an upgrade in goaltenders. The two we have right now won't cut it.

I couldn't agree more. It's a longshot that Makarov or Hackett even pan out to be dependable NHL back-up goalies, much less starters...much less starters on a good team, or starters next season. The line-up's listed in this thread will produce nothing but another lottery pick next year. We need MAJOR changes via trades to get this team in the playoffs in under 3 more years, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad